Recalled/Assigned: Frank Corrado (AHL), Zach Hamill (AHL), and Brendan Gaunce (OHL) sent down

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I disagree, no one got shafted. This kid is 20 years old, a very good prospect but he has no right to be pissed that he is going to be sent down. This is not permanent, listen to Torts, he says he could be back by Christmas.

He has shown what he can do, he played well but he didn't destroy anyone, just played a bit better and proved that he can at least be a serviceable NHL Dman but i think the coach and management want more from him than just servicable, they want him to develop into a top 3 defenceman and some time in the AHL will probably help him develop at a faster pace. He will not play in the top 5 this yer unless there is an injury, in which case he is likely to get the call. There is a distinct possibility he could be top 6 come playoffs.

Why would Torts and MG shoot themselves in the foot and by putting an asset on the waiver wire before they have a solution. It won't be surprising if there are a few moves left before the roster is set.

He wasn't just 'a bit better'. It wasn't even close. He looked terrific in every game he played - and actually looked like a competent top-4 defender - while Alberts was horrible on an epic scale and Weber scored some points but struggled a lot in his own zone.

What's being lost here is that Weber - a guy who was the #8 defender in Montreal last year - is now in our top 6, with a completely healthy roster. He hasn't looked good defensively at all, and this has to be a major concern.

It will be very interesting to see if those weak depth defenders cost us any points in the standings in the first month of the season, and whether that comes back to haunt us later on.

And Alberts is not an 'asset'. If he's waived, it's a positive if someone claims him. He's below replacement value as a player.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Disgraceful.

The guy made the team. Badly outplayed the two established players ahead of him.

This comes after all the talk heading into camp about 'veterans losing jobs' and 'young guys needing to step up'. Alberts was just horrendous, as bad as he could possibly be. He should have lost his job. Awful player.

And the ridiculous thing is that we're sending down the one young player who looks ready to make an impact at this level, while we keep up two forwards who don't look remotely ready at all.

I've been a big Gillis supporter, but stuff like this makes you wonder if he's losing he plot. Reminds of the 2007 training camp where Edler was sent down after being the team's best player in preseason, while a hopelessly unready Mason Raymond was kept on the squad.

lmao you actually though they were serious about 'competition'?

Is this your first go-round with the NHL and the Mike Gillis Vancouver Canucks?

Merit isn't a thing here. Waiver eligibility, now that's something...

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
tell me if this is incorrect.

1. The canucks claim a defenseman
2. waive alberts on the hope he clears. if he doesn't then we have a similar defenseman to him.
3. If he does pass through then this team is now in the clear for the season with 8 defenseman and can bring corrado back up as their #6.
4. They can then waive new defenseman. Likely he gets claimed but if not then we have 9 defensemen.

I'm thinking this is totally correct and maybe something that comes out of the Corrado decision.

We have Horvat and Shinkaruk as potential forward spot fillers until Kassian gets back and then we can send down Horvat and even entertain the mind game that Shinkaruk could permanently stick.

FWD's: Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Booth, Higgins, Kass, Santo, Richardson, Weise, Sestito, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Schroeder
D's: Ham, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Weber, Alberts
G's. Luongo, Lack

That's 24. They if you can't IR Schredder, then just waive Sestito to go down to 23. Now they can easily take on a defenseman that is superior to Alberts, and if they claim him, they will immediately waive Alberts. And now if they somehow saw a forward in the wire that also piqued their interest, They could just send Horvat back to junior to make space for that move. All of these options let us keep the current number of NHL-level defenders at our disposals and give one of our young junior guys a chance to get their 9 games in. That's just splendid, to me.

Gaunce gets to go to his junior team for a FULL season with them. Corrado gets to play as much as possible in all kinds of situations while being on call for serious playing dutis if one of our legit guys get injured, leaving Weber and Alberts/pick-up at their 7th/8th rank spots doing spot duty, which is what they can and should expect to be doing. I'm sure Corrado is less disgruntled doing top pair duty at the A than doing sheltered minutes right now. And I'm sure he knows that he is sure to rise up the ranks as the season progresses as someone is bound to be hurt.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Let's see how things shake out before we get too emotional.

With Santorelli looking like he can fill a hole at center, Horvat kicking around, and Schroeder a somewhat decent fill-in, Gillis may be feeling more confident about spending the remaining cap space on a defenseman.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is literally the exact same thing that was done with Chris Tanev.

Exactly. It's Gillis stashing a bonafide #9 NHL defenceman who is capable of playing #4 minutes if things get dire. That's exactly what it is, and it's exactly what it was when the exact same thing happened to Tanev.

The whole, 'young guns taking over' thing was a 'narrative'. Gillis is big on these. He's done it a million times before. He did it when he traded Hodgson, he did it when he traded Schneider, but when people point this out...they're just being negative.

This is Gillis' M.O. at this point. He stashes as much depth as possible, jettisons players he doesn't like, and all the while sweats his rubbery self through an interview where he states, "we think we've got the best group of players here right now that give us the best chance to win and we're continue to evaluate things as they progress".

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm surprised some people are getting worked up over Corrado to Utica.
Pretty sure MGs MO is to pick up another d man either through waivers or via a team over the cap needing to jettison someone.
I don't think he plans to rely on Ahlberts or Weber for any considerable amount if time. He always makes a couple moves within the first month of the season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think Shinkaruk and Horvat are only here if they can't find anything on the waiver wire before the season opens. I don't know if it does any good to keep one up while Kassian is suspended just to send him down in 5 games.

I'm also not sure what is going on with Schroeder's situation. I think he needed to earn his spot in training camp, and now they only got a short look. Are they willing to waive him?

As for Corrado, it might be better for his development to let him be the #1 in Utica for a season instead of getting less than 10 mins a night here. He hasn't had a pro season yet, having just graded from Junior. If one of the top 4 gets hurt, definitely call him up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is literally the exact same thing that was done with Chris Tanev.

Exactly. It's Gillis stashing a bonafide #9 NHL defenceman who is capable of playing #4 minutes if things get dire. That's exactly what it is, and it's exactly what it was when the exact same thing happened to Tanev.

The whole, 'young guns taking over' thing was a 'narrative'. Gillis is big on these. He's done it a million times before. He did it when he traded Hodgson, he did it when he traded Schneider, but when people point this out...they're just being negative.

This is Gillis' M.O. at this point. He stashes as much depth as possible, jettisons players he doesn't like, and all the while sweats his rubbery self through an interview where he states, "we think we've got the best group of players here right now that give us the best chance to win and we're continue to evaluate things as they progress".

In 2010 and 2011, the team had defensive depth coming out of our ears, and Tanev didn't outplay anyone in our top-6, and didn't play nearly as well as Corrado has this preseason.

It's great to have talented guys in the minors if you have a stacked NHL blueline.

It's not so great to have talented guys in the minors if bad players like Weber and Alberts are costing the team points in the standings.

In a year where we're in a much tougher division with a team is substantially worse on paper than last season, and are conceivably going to be in a fight to make the playoffs, icing less than your best possible roster is to me a monumentally stupid risk.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
There is a good chance I'm blowing this way out of proportion, I just feel like losing an "asset" like Andrew Alberts to waivers isn't something to worry about. There are plenty of d guys avaliable of his caliber. Obviously other factors come into play, but in this case I see the rewards of keeping Corrrado up worth the potential risks.

I also disagree with "a bit better". Corrado significantly outplayed Alberts this preseason, and was clearly better than Weber. Weber had a very good game, where he managed to unleash his cannon, but overal his defensive plan is meh, and he can't carry a pairing.

I agree that losing Alberts for nothing isn't a huge setback but why take the risk until you have something else to replace him? I wouldn't be surprised if we see this team acquire another defenceman and then risk Alberts to waivers. Beyond Corrado there is nothing much on the farm for immediate help. If they Keep Corrado, lose Alberts to waivers, they will be forced to find more defenders because the other kids aren't quite ready and have no NHL experience. And what if they don't get the defenceman they want after losing Alberts and are forced to settle for a player no better than Alberts? Then they have carelessly thrown away a player that has been a good soldier and well liked teammate for no serious upgrade. How is that for treating a player?

I will take "a bit" out of comparison because Corrado did play better. My point was that Corrado is not such a major upgrade at this point that he would force any of the top 5 out and for a 10-12 minute role, Weber and Alberts can be an adequate platoon.

I think we both agree that Corrado is going to be a great player and am looking forward to that, and I think he will be with the big team by seasons end.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In 2010 and 2011, the team had defensive depth coming out of our ears, and Tanev didn't outplay anyone in our top-6, and didn't play nearly as well as Corrado has this preseason.

It's great to have talented guys in the minors if you have a stacked NHL blueline.

It's not so great to have talented guys in the minors if bad players like Weber and Alberts are costing the team points in the standings.

In a year where we're in a much tougher division with a team is substantially worse on paper than last season, and are conceivably going to be in a fight to make the playoffs, icing less than your best possible roster is to me a monumentally stupid risk.

Gillis is pretty big on the monumentally stupid risks so far as i've seen.

He traded a productive young player for a 'well gee i hope this big guy turns out awesome some day' guy.

He traded a fringe young player with the potential to break out bigtime for a bag of magic beans.

Aka he traded him for a guy who sucked.

He traded a very reasonable posibility of top-5 netminder for a 'bo horvat', whatever that is.

He traded a pair of short awful contracts for a long potentially awful one in permanently injured David Booth.

He let the offensive catalyst of our blueline walk because he thought it worth the risk that the rest of our group could ahem, 'pick up the slack'. :shakehead

Gillis is all about the monumentally stupid risks.

But realistically, this isn't one of them. This is just the exact same routine he went through when Tanev probably should've made the team, but didn't. Because depth-wise, it's more convenient to have a top-4 NHL defender wasting away for a year in the minors.

I completely agree that Corrado made this team based on merit, but the whole 'merit' narrative has been a farse for the most part, so far as i've ever seen.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
This guy destroyed his compitition and then got shafted. I have to think he isn't at the very least fustrated by the whole situation.

Really doubt it. He's a professional, and as a pro he realizes that all preseason was, was a way for the coaches to figure out where the players stand going forward, and how much progress the kids have made. How they act upon that may not be seen for weeks/months. He knows he had a good preseason, and he'll be back.

That any of you would think he'd be upset and furious, and ready to quit on the team over this is frankly pretty hilarious.

Last edited:

Outside99*

The other thing to consider in a 5 man D system is if Corrado acquits himself in Utica playing 25+ minutes per night, he's probably not coming back at US Thanksgiving or Christmas to play 6-7 minutes per night. Something will need to give.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I want a better #6 than Weber/Alberts brought in if Corrado is sent down. That's what I want to see, if that can't be done bring him back up. As it stands now though we need a better vet at #6/7.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
As long as Alberts stays off the ice I don't mind this move. Frankie looked really good out there though. I'm sure he's disappointed, but he'll take his assignment and work to convince everyone he should be in the big show.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
it's not very surprising that a team that got burnt by injures to d-men during a play-off run wants to, you know, make sure they're well covered there. Corrado was hurt by this, but I don't really think the team has been that much. (particularly if Corrado truly was only gonna get 10 odd minutes a game)

mdelleman

Jul 2, 2004
Langley, BC, Canada
If Alberts gets anywhere near a spot on the opening day lineup I would be shocked. Only reason Corrado isn't with the big club is due to Y Weber's one way contract. They will find a way to have him play significant minutes in the NHL this year.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Shorty said it in the open on 1040, but look for MG to add something up front before Friday. With Weise coming back, he will likely send down one of Shinkaruk or Horvat (because he's not gonna keep them up to sit in the pressbox), leaving us with 12F's that includes Weise and Sestito, something MG knows isn't ideal. Until Kass comes back, we would be short an extra, and then WHEN he came back, you would likely see the other of Shinkaruk/Horvat sent down.

It'll probably be a waiver wire pick up, not a trade, but... it's likely coming.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Shorty said it in the open on 1040, but look for MG to add something up front before Friday. With Weise coming back, he will likely send down one of Shinkaruk or Horvat (because he's not gonna keep them up to sit in the pressbox), leaving us with 12F's that includes Weise and Sestito, something MG knows isn't ideal. Until Kass comes back, we would be short an extra, and then WHEN he came back, you would likely see the other of Shinkaruk/Horvat sent down.

It'll probably be a waiver wire pick up, not a trade, but... it's likely coming.

Next week Friday or today? Colborne to the Canucks? :naughty:

King of the ES*

Tough for Frankie after having an excellent training camp and preseason. However, great opportunity for him to have top minutes in a professional league to continue to develop his game. He'll be back up sooner than later.

Excellent?

Come on. Certainly didn't stand out, to me. His errors stood out as much as anything. Yeah, he got a goal last night, good for him. But Lundqvist's stopping that shot 99/100 times.

To me, it's pretty easy a decision. He can be sent down to the AHL and play top-line minutes, or he can stay here and probably spend a lot of time watching games from the press box. The guy hasn't even spent a full year in the AHL yet. Easy decision.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Excellent?

Come on. Certainly didn't stand out, to me. His errors stood out as much as anything. Yeah, he got a goal last night, good for him. But Lundqvist's stopping that shot 99/100 times.

To me, it's pretty easy a decision. He can be sent down to the AHL and play top-line minutes, or he can stay here and probably spend a lot of time watching games from the press box. The guy hasn't even spent a full year in the AHL yet. Easy decision.

And Alberts is about to have a monster Norris season, right?

King of the ES*

And Alberts is about to have a monster Norris season, right?

Great response.

Alberts, at least, brings an element of physicality that nobody else brings. And I still fail to see how it makes sense for Corrado to play 10 minutes a night here, versus 20 in Utica. We don't want him to get comfortable in a bottom-pairing role, do we?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I'm surprised some people are getting worked up over Corrado to Utica.
Pretty sure MGs MO is to pick up another d man either through waivers or via a team over the cap needing to jettison someone.
I don't think he plans to rely on Ahlberts or Weber for any considerable amount if time. He always makes a couple moves within the first month of the season.

Either way would it really help Frank to play 10-13 MPG in the NHL at this point or 20 plus in the AHL?

The answer is pretty clear here.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's a balance. While Corrado certainly was the best of the three, you do have to ask yourself if you want him playing 14 minutes a night in the NHL or 22 minutes a night (top 5-on-5 pairing, top PP unit, top PK unit) in the AHL. I don't think sending him down hurts him at all.

He will be back soon. The first time an injury occurs I suspect it will be Corrado that is the replacement. Not Alberts. Corrado if going to play 80 games this year in the regular season and 30 or so of them will likely be in the NHL.

We also don't know how anything else plays out at this point. Trying to sneak guys through waivers at the best time. Looking to improve the team in other areas etc etc etc.

Having a 20 year old D-man sent down to play a ton of minutes for half a year isn't a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad