Confirmed with Link: Francis out as GM - Don Waddell named GM 5/8/18

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Maybe, but that depends on the money they are offered, and to a lesser extent who the GM and coach is.
If a guy is just chasing money, we have a chance to sign him, but I doubt he is a difference maker. Those guys tend to just put it on cruise control when things get bad. JT we know is not chasing money, he could get that in NY. He wants to win. We could offer him $2M more than the next team and he would turn that down if the next team gives him a better chance to win in his mind. That is the type of guy we need and the type of guy that will not even return our calls after this shit-show of a spring.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If a guy is just chasing money, we have a chance to sign him, but I doubt he is a difference maker. Those guys tend to just put it on cruise control when things get bad. JT we know is not chasing money, he could get that in NY. He wants to win. We could offer him $2M more than the next team and he would turn that down if the next team gives him a better chance to win in his mind. That is the type of guy we need and the type of guy that will not even return our calls after this ****-show of a spring.

Depends how you define "difference maker". If your definition is Tavares, and Tavares only, then yeah, but that applies every off season because rarely does a Tavares level player change teams. There are a lot of guys that could make a difference on this team though. Kane, JVR, Stastny, Neal for example. Canes lack forward talent and lack a goalie. An improvement in those areas can make a difference. Yeah, 1 signing and 1 signing alone isn't going to change the fortunes of the team, but they can make a marked difference by signing a UFA like one of those guys, make a D for C trade to beef up the center position, bring on Necas and 1-2 guys from the AHL, and get a goaltender.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So I just watched Kypreos and Maclean talk about it. Kypreos says there’s a feeling “out there” that not only is this an unusual set up for a gm, but that it will also be a lower paying gm position. Also intimates that some of the names being thrown around may be just thrown around with no expectation of the best names taking the gig. Also says in today’s world just being a friend of the owner can be enough to get a gig.

He tends to spout off a lot of crap, so I don’t take any of it straight up. I do believe that we’ve seen two people publicly say we are going cheap. I don’t like that part if it’s true. TD spouts off a lot about all the cash he’s putting into the team for support roles and the like, when the number one thing we need money spent on is key positions like the gm and the players. This attitude would also support the concept of a “puppet”.

Could all be crap but they started by asking each other why Futa would actually pull out when all these guys are in the business to become gm’s and there are only 31 spots.

Just hire one of the ones everyone thinks is going to be a good gm. Don’t try to outthink this process.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It has nothing to do with Dundon being aggressive and impatient or having an idea what he wants. It has to do with the guy we want also wanting us, despite other jobs coming open and our job no longer being the "typical" GM job. If it's really more like a CEO, allowing managers to handle their areas, these AGMs may not be tripping over themselves to take our job.

I said the same thing two days ago. For free!

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. The old-boy network in the NHL could use a shake-up.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Damn.

Really hope this isn't an indication that we're going to end up with some rather underwhelming hire.

We're talking about the Carolina Hurricanes here....that would never happen. :sarcasm:

I do believe that we’ve seen two people publicly say we are going cheap.

I've only seen the Jeff O'Neill tweet (who is best described as "clownish"). Was there another reference to "being cheap" with regard to the GM position? Or is it the speculation about what folks "think" the management structure implies?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I was hearing on Vancouver radio that Laurence Gilman may be in contention for the GM position in Carolina.

I will tell you right now that if you guys get Gilman, your finances, cap management, and roster management will be air tight. If you aren't operating near the cap, it will feel like you are. Nobody is as good as Gilman with CBA-specific questions and nuance. The guy is brilliant. I should add that there was a story on the radio that Gilman had been working for free for a local Surrey, BC hockey team that was in dire straits. It was a touching story. The guy has great character, and the radio guys in Vancouver are having micro-orgasms whenever he is on the show. If you surround Gilman with good hockey people (scouting staff, etc), you will win the cup. The biggest mistake the Canucks made in the last fifteen years was letting him go.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I was hearing on Vancouver radio that Laurence Gilman may be in contention for the GM position in Carolina.

I will tell you right now that if you guys get Gilman, your finances, cap management, and roster management will be air tight. If you aren't operating near the cap, it will feel like you are. Nobody is as good as Gilman with CBA-specific questions and nuance. The guy is brilliant. I should add that there was a story on the radio that Gilman had been working for free for a local Surrey, BC hockey team that was in dire straits. It was a touching story. The guy has great character, and the radio guys in Vancouver are having micro-orgasms whenever he is on the show. If you surround Gilman with good hockey people (scouting staff, etc), you will win the cup. The biggest mistake the Canucks made in the last fifteen years was letting him go.

Thanks for stopping by, Mrs Gilman.

Seriously, tho ... thanks for this. I'm sure we have no chance at him, but I'm glad he'll make someone else happy somewhere. We're gonna end up with a GM from the ECHL or BCHL, no worries.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

I like that he's a lawyer, and not a former player. That old-boy network really has me ticked off right about now. I'm a little worried because we're going to need somebody who isn't afraid of making a few trades, and I don't know if that's up his alley. This guy may have been born to be an Assistant GM. Put him with JR in a co-GM role, win multiple Cups.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like that he's a lawyer, and not a former player. That old-boy network really has me ticked off right about now. I'm a little worried because we're going to need somebody who isn't afraid of making a few trades, and I don't know if that's up his alley. This guy may have been born to be an Assistant GM. Put him with JR in a co-GM role, win multiple Cups.
With Francis moving upstairs and having a pulse on current GM duties, it could be a good fit.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pretty brash for O’Neill to @ Dundon if the info isn’t true. O’Neill is incredibly unlikeable so I doubt he cares, but picking a fight with a Billionaire is not the smartest move in today’s culture. Just look at what Peter Thiel did to Gawker through Hulk Hogan.
You mean bring down an outlet that used some of the worst yellow journalism the world has ever seen and had Thiel as a target at one point? If so, you keep doing you Peter.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the old boys club has the knives out for sure as it pertains to how francis was dismissed. it would surprise me very little to learn that this was an orchestrated smear campaign initiation for dundon into the hockey world for how that whole situation went down. there are a lot of unhappy campers out there with microphones in their face and time to kill.

plus, it would be wise to remember francis' relationship with jeff before taking anything that muppet says to heart

Last edited by a moderator:

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
So I just watched Kypreos and Maclean talk about it. Kypreos says there’s a feeling “out there” that not only is this an unusual set up for a gm, but that it will also be a lower paying gm position. Also intimates that some of the names being thrown around may be just thrown around with no expectation of the best names taking the gig. Also says in today’s world just being a friend of the owner can be enough to get a gig.

He tends to spout off a lot of crap, so I don’t take any of it straight up. I do believe that we’ve seen two people publicly say we are going cheap. I don’t like that part if it’s true. TD spouts off a lot about all the cash he’s putting into the team for support roles and the like, when the number one thing we need money spent on is key positions like the gm and the players. This attitude would also support the concept of a “puppet”.

Could all be crap but they started by asking each other why Futa would actually pull out when all these guys are in the business to become gm’s and there are only 31 spots.

Just hire one of the ones everyone thinks is going to be a good gm. Don’t try to outthink this process.

Obviously I have no idea, but it could be also Kypreos is just rehashing what O'Neill said and O'Neill was the only one who said anything along those lines before this that I've seen.

I'm also hoping that this isn't the case so I'm finding arguments against that notion to use

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We're talking about the Carolina Hurricanes here....that would never happen. :sarcasm:

I've only seen the Jeff O'Neill tweet (who is best described as "clownish"). Was there another reference to "being cheap" with regard to the GM position? Or is it the speculation about what folks "think" the management structure implies?
It’s in my post up above. Kypreos said there’s a feeling in the community the canes are going cheap.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It’s in my post up above. Kypreos said there’s a feeling in the community the canes are going cheap.
Interesting...."the community"....one has to wonder if this is based on actual comments and information or if this is an example of what happens when you "diss an icon" in the eyes of the hockey media....an example of the infamous, "they said" or "people say"....or perhaps as a result of always assuming the Hurricanes will go cheap because Karmanos.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
What a f***ing ridiculous conversation. In the 15 years I've been following the Hurricanes and hockey generally, I legitimately do not believe I have ever heard the salary of a General Manager come up in conversation about the hiring process. The question has always been about the GM's ability. The fact that O'Neill and other members of the Canadian media are making a big deal out of it just reinforces for me that they're mad that one of their own got pushed out of his job. Hiring Ron Francis meant you might have to fire him, and everybody knew that wouldn't go over well. Fortunately, we've got someone that decided he wasn't doing the job, and fired him. Unsurprisingly, it hasn't gone over well.

We might miss on certain folks because they're concerned about meshing with Dundon, and we might miss on certain folks because, well, the team is a disaster. But the idea that somebody won't take a job as General Manger of one of 31 NHL franchises over money (knowing full well that we'll be paying more than an AGM or some other position) is almost absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->