Speculation: Francis Lamorello Hunter..GMs galore

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Ottawa fans are know it all best gms ever crowdsourcing geniuses. Every single one of us.

Dorion averages out and our fan base is pretty stupid sometimes. But I guess so is everyones, so it's all good.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Other than the Dahlin - Burrows trade + Burrows contract, he hasn't been awful. People need to calm their tits.

I think a lot of his foibles are curable too. He's just too quick on the gun and he's got to remove the horse blinders.

Did he need to sign Anderson to an extension that early? No. Did he do it because it was an easy negotiation and thought it would be a good news story after what the Anderson family went through the year before? Yes. He just jumped the gun. That's all. No one at the time predicted Anderson would forget how to play goalie after the Sweden trip.

He overpaid Thompson, but he also found a way to unload him. No big deal.

I'm even ok with the Duchene trade, especially with how Duchene looked to finish up the season. If he can play like that from day 1 next year, then the trade is a win for the Sens. Why? Because it's damn near impossible to trade for a 1C, and Dorion did that. Turris is a fringe 1C. Duchene is a legit 1C. The cost of that was a 1st round pick that none of us thought would possibly be a lottery pick at the time, and he put some protections on the pick too.

So hindsight makes the addition of the pick look bad, but if the Sens made the playoffs this year and gave up the 23rd overall pick to Colorado in this draft, no one would care, and that's where the team was sitting when they made the trade.

My biggest gripe with him is how he handles the press. Just shut up already. If you've finished your thought, just stop talking. The genesis of the whole Karlsson trade thing was him joking adding "But Gretzky was traded..." NO! Just shut up your face. The less he says, the better.

I think part of that is his mentorship with Bryan Murray. Murray had no time for clichés or dancing around the subject, so he gave up lots of good stuff in interviews. But Murray knew when to shut up. Dorion's still got to work on that.

I feel for the guy though. He's got one of the worst owners in the league to work for. He's going into each situation with one hand tied behind his back.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In hindsight we still win the Turris trade. The guy has fallen off pretty hard lately and is getting 3rd line minutes. Three points in 11 games is definitely not what you’d hope a $6 million centre would be producing.

While he was clutch for us, his frame just isn’t built for playoffs which is why I was always afraid to go long term with him. Not sure what his production looks like going forward.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Other than the Dahlin - Burrows trade + Burrows contract, he hasn't been awful. People need to calm their ****.

I think a lot of his foibles are curable too. He's just too quick on the gun and he's got to remove the horse blinders.

Did he need to sign Anderson to an extension that early? No. Did he do it because it was an easy negotiation and thought it would be a good news story after what the Anderson family went through the year before? Yes. He just jumped the gun. That's all. No one at the time predicted Anderson would forget how to play goalie after the Sweden trip.

I'm even ok with the Duchene trade, especially with how Duchene looked to finish up the season. If he can play like that from day 1 next year, then the trade is a win for the Sens. Why? Because it's damn near impossible to trade for a 1C, and Dorion did that. Turris is a fringe 1C. Duchene is a legit 1C. The cost of that was a 1st round pick that none of us thought would possibly be a lottery pick at the time, and he put some protections on the pick too.

So hindsight makes the addition of the pick look bad, but if the Sens made the playoffs this year and gave up the 23rd overall pick to Colorado in this draft, no one would care, and that's where the team was sitting when they made the trade.

My biggest gripe with him is how he handles the press. Just shut up already. If you've finished your thought, just stop talking. The genesis of the whole Karlsson trade thing was him joking adding "But Gretzky was traded..." NO! Just shut up your face. The less he says, the better.

I think part of that is his mentorship with Bryan Murray. Murray had no time for clichés or dancing around the subject, so he gave up lots of good stuff in interviews. But Murray knew when to shut up. Dorion's still got to work on that.

I feel for the guy though. He's got one of the worst owners in the league to work for. He's going into each situation with one hand tied behind his back.

Personally I think he overpaid in the Zib / Brass deal. He over paid in the Turris/ Duch deal. He overpaid in the Burrows deal .. (+ that extension)
The 5th for Condon is his best value trade. On the Brass/1st rounder deal he switched 3rd rounders with Pittsburg, He jumped the gun on the Anderson deal. He handled the Karlsson tdl poorly. The roster subtracts and adds did not really add up in our favor last year. He kept an arms length from the coaching staff despite continued problems in all facets. He seemingly kept an arms length from Belleville as well.. allowing Randy Lee the autonomy to select players and fill the roster with your basic meat head grinders. The Andrew Hammond loan to Belleville after giving up a 3rd for Colorado to take him was also poorly handled due to a crowded crease resulting in lack of playing time for prospect goalies. He publicly ridiculed his coach and made no coaching changes at the NHL level.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm fine with Dorion as is. If we have another poor yr. in 2018-2019 then I'd suggest look at letting him go but for right now I say keep him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm fine with Dorion as is. If we have another poor yr. in 2018-2019 then I'd suggest look at letting him go but for right now I say keep him.
Agreed
05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Other than the Dahlin - Burrows trade + Burrows contract, he hasn't been awful. People need to calm their ****.

You're even ok with the Duchene trade? It's only the best trade we've made since the Yashin trade. Tough crowd these days ;)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So much 'overpay' talk. We all wish, including PD, that we could get NHL players from other teams for cheaper, but, the unfortunately truth is that there is another person on the other side wanting stuff.

Other than Van (and we got a nice stretch and playoff run which is what we wanted most), I don't see any of our trade partners any better off than us.

(Due to the trades obviously, before folks use the standings as fuel!)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
why is this thread still up here?

Pierre isn't the gm we want, or need. He is the GM we have and have to deal with it, Melnyk is more likely to sell the team than pierre getting fired. well actually pierre getting fired relies on the former.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad