Franchise Players, 2004 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
It's a question from the lowlies: Which players do you forsee as potential franchise players? Future captains, defensive stalwarts, star goalies, and top line forwards in this year's draft?

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
As FRANCHISE PLAYER I see only Ovechkin. The others are really good, maybe they can turn into star players but I don't see them as franchise players. Neither Malkin nor Olesz, and I like both a lot.

Last edited:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think Ovechkin, Olesz, Schremp, Malkin, Barker, Schwarz are the ones who should be franchise players with alot of dark horses in this years draft as well.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
moosefan said:
I think Ovechkin, Olesz, Schremp, Malkin, Barker, Schwarz are the ones who should be franchise players with alot of dark horses in this years draft as well.
I like Schremp but I think he is too flamboyant to be a franchise player. I'm not sure a GM would want to built a team around him unless he matures. Stupid little moves like he did at the prospect game prove that. He could have hit one of his own players in the head with that lacross type move.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
JasonMacIsaac said:
I like Schremp but I think he is too flamboyant to be a franchise player. I'm not sure a GM would want to built a team around him unless he matures. Stupid little moves like he did at the prospect game prove that. He could have hit one of his own players in the head with that lacross type move.

Spell J-e-r-e-m-y R-o-e-n-i-c-k.

He's not putting up the numbers (or good ones at that this year), but he has along the lines of the same attitude and flambouyent streaks.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
EroCaps said:
It's a question from the lowlies: Which players do you forsee as potential franchise players? Future captains, defensive stalwarts, star goalies, and top line forwards in this year's draft?

I really only think Ovechkin and Malkin are real potential franchise guys.....i.e. a Modano, Forsberg, Yzerman, etc..

There's a few guys who could be top line scorers and top 2 d-men (I don't think Barker is really a franchise type guy because of his defensive zone play), but the only guys I can really see turning into franchise players are Ovechkin and Malkin. (hopefully the Caps can grab one of these two).

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Reveille said:
Spell J-e-r-e-m-y R-o-e-n-i-c-k.

He's not putting up the numbers (or good ones at that this year), but he has along the lines of the same attitude and flambouyent streaks.

Good point. I never put the two together, but attitude-wise (I think JR was a much more physical player early on than Schremp though) I think thats a real good comparison.....though OTOH I wouldn't really consider JR a franchise-type guy to build around.....an excellent all-star player (his first 8-9 years anyway), but not exactly the franchise guy to build around.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:

You have to look at Schremp is still very young and has a lot of learning and growing up to do in the game it self. Many players have been flamboyant in junior but have learned fast that the NHL in a different class. His skill level can not be denied as IMO he has one of the best set of skills in the draft. I do see him taking a little longer to develop than some but I really see him being a franchise player in the long run.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
JR is a guy you want to build your team around? I think not.

Why not? He's greatly skilled, gritty and smart. I wouldn't call him a true franchise player but if I had him, I would have had no objection to building around him properly.

He's one of the better centers in this league.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
Why not? He's greatly skilled, gritty and smart. I wouldn't call him a true franchise player but if I had him, I would have had no objection to building around him properly.

He's one of the better centers in this league.

Agreed.

You could build around JR quite easily, as long as you managed to surround him with the right players.

I'm a huge JR fan, not only is he an outstanding player, but his off ice personality is possibly the best in all of Professional Sports. I think he's hilarious, and I actually think he's a really bright guy and he's got a lot of good things to say, to go with the other things that come out of his mouth.

st_roland

Brock said:
Agreed.

You could build around JR quite easily, as long as you managed to surround him with the right players.

I'm a huge JR fan, not only is he an outstanding player, but his off ice personality is possibly the best in all of Professional Sports. I think he's hilarious, and I actually think he's a really bright guy and he's got a lot of good things to say, to go with the other things that come out of his mouth.

Totally agree. This year i've really grown to like him more. Its a cliche, but that guy has character coming out his ears.

Its too bad he's not still in chicago, I think tuomo ruutu projects to be a jeremy roenick clone, and thats a BIG compliment.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think there are any "franchise" players in this draft. That designation belongs to guys like Lemieux or Gretzky, not Ovechkin, Malkin, or freakin Cam Barker.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:

You're slamming his NHL prospects on some moves he pulled in what was essentially an audition before some pro scouts? What he did in that game probably ENHANCED his value in their eyes. Do you think Crosby hotdogging it in an actual game will detract from his overall skill, or is that a non-issue since he's from your home province? Not picking on you here J-Mac, but I sense alot of hypocricy on these boards when it comes to prospects.

Last edited:

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think there are any "franchise" players in this draft. That designation belongs to guys like Lemieux or Gretzky, not Ovechkin, Malkin, or freakin Cam Barker.

:bow: :bow: :bow: THANK YOU :bow: :bow: :bow:

The whole term 'franchise player' is thrown around WAY too much not only on these boeards, but elsewhere, like in the media. Orr, Howe, Lemieux, Bourque, Gretzky... MAYBE Jagr, . These are franchise players. Or WERE. Guys that win a game, a series, a cup, or several cups pretty much on his own. Or without which his team would never even DREAM of succeeding.

On the other hand, I can see why people throw that term around so often. Every team has a guy that will be the #1 around there for a long time. Florida has Roberto Luongo in net, Jay Bouwmeester on D, or Stephen Weiss at Center, maybe Nathan Horton. But I wouldn't consider these type of guys franchise players, save Luongo... Stars, yes... Superstars, save Bouwmeester... Doubtful.

My point is, I think the whole 'franchise player' tag is handed out far to often. But I am presenting both sides of the argument, showing that each franchise might have its own 'special' player.

Now I'm not gonna say who is gonna be a franchise player from this draft. Partly because, as stated before, I kinda disagree with the whole throwing around of the franchise player term. Partly because I don't wanna be wrong and have to eat crow in a few years :joker: .

PEli*

It's obvious that everybody has a different definition of franchise player. Personally, I think a franchise player is any franchise's most valuable player. The player they are building around.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc. are the greatest players of all time. That doesn't make them the only franchise players of all time. Otherwise, there would be no need for the term "franchise player."

If a GM finds a player special enough to build around and mold the future of the team using that individual, I feel that player is important enough to be labelled a franchise player. To me, Ovechkin has the talent and probable impact to be a franchise player.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
PEli said:
It's obvious that everybody has a different definition of franchise player. Personally, I think a franchise player is any franchise's most valuable player. The player they are building around.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, etc. are the greatest players of all time. That doesn't make them the only franchise players of all time. Otherwise, there would be no need for the term "franchise player."

If a GM finds a player special enough to build around and mold the future of the team using that individual, I feel that player is important enough to be labelled a franchise player. To me, Ovechkin has the talent and probable impact to be a franchise player.

Agree, exactly how I feel.

I think of the term "franchise player" as in a player you could see your team building around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad