Mar 4, 2018
My top lines are this:
LW SNP 96 - C PLY 92 - RW SNP 87
LW PWF 92 - C PLY 88 - RW TWF 88
LW SNP 84 - C PLY 85 - RW SNP 87

D LD 89 - RD 89
LD 85 - RD 85

Goalie HYB 92

That team won me 62 games and lost in game 7 of the cup finals. Goalie (franchise medium at 25) had a 1.84GAA and a .938SV% to win the Vez .
LW SNP (franchise medium at 27) had 61 goals and 105 points to win Rocket, Art Ross, Hart, Ted Lindsay and Lady Byng. So it's not exactly what you were looking for, but it's definitely a close comparison.

Actually you're understandably missing his point. what he's suggesting, to basically play one line for the entire game, highlights that endurance does not appear to factor into the sim, at least not the way you'd think it would. You'll get some ridiculous point totals for each player.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
If you are simming, I would add some vets (rated in the low-80s is fine) on the team. High poise makes a big difference with teams that rock the regular season but always choke in the playoffs.
I do sim. I agree, the LW SNP has 99 poise I believe. He's always super consistent, usually 50 goals 50 assists, then in playoffs if we go deep he usually banks 30 points in 20-22 games. Definitely going to look at that tonight and grab a couple poise guys to stick in the lineup.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Actually you're understandably missing his point. what he's suggesting, to basically play one line for the entire game, highlights that endurance does not appear to factor into the sim, at least not the way you'd think it would. You'll get some ridiculous point totals for each player.
interesting. Maybe I'll try that out and see how stupid my first line point totals are lol

Theguywiththefly

Nov 14, 2018
any tips for scouting effectively and efficiently? This system is overwhelming me
The only thing you need to do is wait for the first time your scouts asks you to see the draft board. Then you sort the players by their potential. After that you scout on’y the elite players ( scout their potential first ). By the time youre mid december those p’ayers will be fully scouted potential wise. Then all those players needs to be scouted again but this time you look for theyre skill assessement. Once its done you should have a good 15-20 elite players ready to be drafted in the late rounds. The key when it comes to development( most people here seems to lack the ability to do it) is to have good vets in the AHL. 24-27 years old guy that will never make an nhl roster are the best for tje job. If you drafted an elite center he wont develop if he plays with young players like him. Adding a vet to his line always helps since now their personality counts with their development. What also helps is putting them in line with players they have a good chemistry with. For exemple, i drafted a franchise med and he became 94 on his first year because i played him on the second line with his « best friend » they both when from not ready to nhl stars in a year. Also putting them where they belong helps A LOT. Theres no use to put a 77 overall guy on the first line even if he plays with crosby or ovy. If the coach sees them as a 3rd liners, keep them there, they will develop more over the time. And finally my best advice to you is: dont draft players just because they are projected higher than another. Draft your needs, draft the highest potential available for your needs. Theres no point in drafting a top 9 guy because hes projected early in the second. Sort them and pick the potentials. Also when a guy is elite med at like 47 overall dont be afraid to trade for a higjer spot in the next draft to pick a guy that will be a starter first years instead of having a guy do his 2 years in junior and 2 years in the nhl. Hopes that helps you

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I've been playing NBA 2K GM Mode, and man, it just ruins NHL GM Mode for me.

In NBA 2K, like, how deep it goes into the NBA CBA, fully customizable/downloadable draft classes and even historic draft classes. There's league meetings, so it creates a world because there's consistently different rule changes. It can as simple as adjusting how many fouls before a player fouls out, to more extreme like abolishing the salary cap. Players have different personalities.

You can do SO much with the GM Mode. You can literally find a 1990 roster, and using the historic draft classes, play right up to current day.

With NHL, it's just so limiting. It's hardly any fun.

Like, they added 200+ legends, and you can't use ANY of them in GM Mode or Season mode. That's brutal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with NHL 19, and it's certainly a step forward, but when you play Madden, or NBA 2K, it's just so far behind.

Sucks

Here is what I don't understand - How much development could it really take to make franchise mode that much better? Maybe I just fundamentally don't understand how development works but there are so many small things that would make GM/Franchise mode significantly better... I get that they don't have the same budget/team size as other sports games do but they can certainly do better than they have done.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Here is what I don't understand - How much development could it really take to make franchise mode that much better? Maybe I just fundamentally don't understand how development works but there are so many small things that would make GM/Franchise mode significantly better... I get that they don't have the same budget/team size as other sports games do but they can certainly do better than they have done.

The EA NHL team only has 8 developers. 7 work on HUT and 1 works on the locker room bug. Doesn't leave much time for franchise mode.

In all seriousness, I agree with you. Not sure why the little things are so freaking hard for them, like adding a player portrait for computer generated players. Just use the freaking in game face. Also, some sort of nice "good job, here are your career highlights" at the end of franchise mode would be nice also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lays

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Anyone wanna help me come up with a good team name? I’m still in the process of editing everyone so I’m just messing around with creating expansion teams.
Some teams I already have

Cowtown Cows
Moose Jaw Moose
White Bear Lake White Bears (surprisingly found a perfect logo in the ECHL to fit that name)
Red Deer Red Deer

Getting baked every night and playing a not serious/unrealistic GM mode is incredibly fun. Anyone have any other similar name suggestions? (obviously with a city name that’s in the game)

Edit- I forgot the last team was named “Red Deer Blue Deer” and not “Red Deer Red Deer.”

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Anyone wanna help me come up with a good team name? I’m still in the process of editing everyone so I’m just messing around with creating expansion teams.

Cowtown Cows
Moose Jaw Moose
White Bear Lake White Bears (surprisingly found a perfect logo in the ECHL to fit that name)
Red Deer Red Deer

Getting baked every night and playing a not serious/unrealistic GM mode is incredibly fun. Anyone have any other similar name suggestions? (obviously with a city name that’s in the game)

This post is f***ing hilarious :laugh:

An obvious one is the Buffalo Buffalo. Hopefully there's one with a beaver somewhere in it too. :laugh:

Reactions: Lays

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This post is ****ing hilarious :laugh:

An obvious one is the Buffalo Buffalo. Hopefully there's one with a beaver somewhere in it too. :laugh:
Was thinking of doing Buffalo Buffalo but there’s already the Sabres. I’ll try and post some pics of the teams I created as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Cowtown Cows
Moose Jaw Moose
Red Deer Red Deer

Edit- I forgot the last team was named “Red Deer Blue Deer” and not “Red Deer Red Deer.”

The Bangalore Bangalore Torpedoes

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Has anyone come up with a list of boom or bust guys?
How about hidden gems?

So far I’ve noticed Tyson Jost, JFK, and Brendan Gallagher can all be hidden gems because of the volume they shoot at.

ebomb

Jun 11, 2015
can anyone share some tips on how to groom a young goalie with high potential? For example, is starting in the AHL better than playing as a backup in the NHL? At what overall does he need to be put into the starting roll in order to continue growing? etc.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
can anyone share some tips on how to groom a young goalie with high potential? For example, is starting in the AHL better than playing as a backup in the NHL? At what overall does he need to be put into the starting roll in order to continue growing? etc.

From everything I’ve read, it seems there are no tips for developing any player. Most people who sim like crazy say no matter what you do with a prospect, they develop at the same rate.

Correct me if I’m wrong, because I’ve stopped worrying about development.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
From everything I’ve read, it seems there are no tips for developing any player. Most people who sim like crazy say no matter what you do with a prospect, they develop at the same rate.

Correct me if I’m wrong, because I’ve stopped worrying about development.
I mean as long as they don't sit all year as a scratch and player morale is off and of course injuries can play a role. Though development is kind of random a med franchise goalie might never even become an 80 overall if he started in the 40s as I've had before.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I mean as long as they don't sit all year as a scratch and player morale is off and of course injuries can play a role. Though development is kind of random a med franchise goalie might never even become an 80 overall if he started in the 40s as I've had before.

I didn’t realize that. Would you recommend cashing in those types for their trade value?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I didn’t realize that. Would you recommend cashing in those types for their trade value?
depends if you already have a strong goaltending pool or not. There are a bit too many strong goalies to find in the draft IMO that you can get plenty at any time and most of them go later on. I wouldn't mind goalie prospects being nerfed a bit.

Reactions: ebomb and Cypress

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

My understanding is you'll want to play the player in their correct role and use a veteran as the other goaltender in the tandem. If it's "other goalie" leave him scratched.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I usually won’t sign them until they’re around 70 OVR. It saves a couple years of ELC so by the time he’s ready for NHL he’s still on his ELC. The only thing I’ve noticed helps/hurts development is production and playing time/playing in correct role

ebomb

Jun 11, 2015
So if morale is on then it contributes to their development? I guess it makes sense but i never found a definitive answer about how much it plays into it.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Some teams I already
Cowtown Cows
Moose Jaw Moose
Red Deer Red Deer

How about the Pittsburgh Burgers. I think I saw a hamburger logo.

vancity787

Jul 3, 2010
Langley
Okay. If this here is a tips page then I'm going to ask. Forgive me if Im repeating something thats been asked a trillion times.

When its Comes to drafting and developing players....

Does anyone have a certain number they like their prospects to reach prior to entering the NHL?
How old is too old for a prospects Im developing?
Whens a good time to cut the chord on Prospects you feel are underperforming?

And by far, the most annoying thing which for the life of me I cannot figure out..... Is why I dont have total control over all the Contracts on My utica comets roster...?

Their are about 6-7 Players that are over the age of 28 on my farm team, and when I go to my contracts page to try and see if I can weed these guys out, they dont even exist under any player list and arent available for trade? You can edit them in and out of your lines as you please, but you cant buy them out or trade them.

After all this I will say, this is the first time I've played this mode for what it really is rather than having computers to everything for me. I wanted the full experience of GM'ing, so the chance of me somehow fukking something up is entirely possible.

Thanks.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Okay. If this here is a tips page then I'm going to ask. Forgive me if Im repeating something thats been asked a trillion times.

When its Comes to drafting and developing players....

Does anyone have a certain number they like their prospects to reach prior to entering the NHL?
How old is too old for a prospects Im developing?
Whens a good time to cut the chord on Prospects you feel are underperforming?

And by far, the most annoying thing which for the life of me I cannot figure out..... Is why I dont have total control over all the Contracts on My utica comets roster...?

Their are about 6-7 Players that are over the age of 28 on my farm team, and when I go to my contracts page to try and see if I can weed these guys out, they dont even exist under any player list and arent available for trade? You can edit them in and out of your lines as you please, but you cant buy them out or trade them.

After all this I will say, this is the first time I've played this mode for what it really is rather than having computers to everything for me. I wanted the full experience of GM'ing, so the chance of me somehow fukking something up is entirely possible.

Thanks.

For determining if prospects are ready for the NHL look at their player role. If it's depth forward, 4th line forward, or better, they are ready.

How old is too old for a prospect? It really depends on the prospect and what you're hoping for from them. In order to get deep playoff runs you want high poise players. Poise develops best in the NHL, so for a future core player I want him to be ready to step into the NHL by 21-22. There is plenty of variation in how players grow but as a general guideline a 20 year old who hasn't yet hit 70 overall is unlikely to turn into much. In general though you will be fine with erring on the side of caution and keeping players to see how their development progresses which will allow to to get a handle on when to keep and when to sell through experience.

The AHL players you have should be able to be found as a free agent if you want control over their contract status. I usually like to leave them as is though as they are free contract spots for your AHL depth and will stay with you until they retire.

Reactions: vancity787

vancity787

Jul 3, 2010
Langley
For determining if prospects are ready for the NHL look at their player role. If it's depth forward, 4th line forward, or better, they are ready.

How old is too old for a prospect? It really depends on the prospect and what you're hoping for from them. In order to get deep playoff runs you want high poise players. Poise develops best in the NHL, so for a future core player I want him to be ready to step into the NHL by 21-22. There is plenty of variation in how players grow but as a general guideline a 20 year old who hasn't yet hit 70 overall is unlikely to turn into much. In general though you will be fine with erring on the side of caution and keeping players to see how their development progresses which will allow to to get a handle on when to keep and when to sell through experience.

The AHL players you have should be able to be found as a free agent if you want control over their contract status. I usually like to leave them as is though as they are free contract spots for your AHL depth and will stay with you until they retire.

Thank you for your response, super helpful. One more question then, in regards to the FA's on my Farm team that I havent yet ridded of.

The only reason I want them gone is because A good 6-7 of my drafted prospects are scratched every game.

So I guess what Im asking is.... Do I leave them all benched in favour of the higher ranked 30+ year olds? Because everytime I dress them, the computer reconfigures the lines next game and it seems ridiculous to have to change the lines every fukn game.

I cant find an option for me to manually change the lines before the computer does after injuries....... Does such a thing exist? I feel like I have no control over my lines and have to re do them allllll the fukkkkkkken tiimmmeeee

vancity787

Jul 3, 2010
Langley
So if morale is on then it contributes to their development? I guess it makes sense but i never found a definitive answer about how much it plays into it.
This is another thing, All my prospects on my farm team are disgruntled, their morale is down and the team chemistry is shyt because none of the young drafted guys get played in favour of the 30 year old vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad