Franchise Hockey Manager 5 What If Thread

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
So I ujust bought the game and I'm enamored with the historical mode. Currently I have so many what if ideas but as an NY Ranger fan the 1st one I did was keeping Messier post 97. The team doesn't go on the futile no playoff streak but doesn't win another cup either. Mess plays until 05. Let me know if you wanna hear more. Also if anyone else does this, please post your stories here. Id love to hear them.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
So I ujust bought the game and I'm enamored with the historical mode. Currently I have so many what if ideas but as an NY Ranger fan the 1st one I did was keeping Messier post 97. The team doesn't go on the futile no playoff streak but doesn't win another cup either. Mess plays until 05. Let me know if you wanna hear more. Also if anyone else does this, please post your stories here. Id love to hear them.

Was Dan Blackburn still in 2001 draft class? If so, how did he do?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Who is Pominville playing with? I had him with Crosby once.

I take it that you still can play with either the FHM motor or more real life trajectories?

Last edited:

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Who is Pominville playing with? I had him with Crosby once.

I take it that you still can still play with either the FHM motor or more real life trajectories?
I'm at work so ill need to look later. Crosby actually goes number 2 to the Habs in 05. Carey Price was the number 1 pick if you could believe it. This is in the Messier stays in NY scenario.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I'm at work so ill need to look later. Crosby actually goes number 2 to the Habs in 05. Carey Price was the number 1 pick if you could believe it. This is in the Messier stays in NY scenario.
I can believe it in the sense that there was this thing that players future careers was actually somewhat known going into the drafts, in History Mode. Hard really to have it any other way since a name like Datsyuk for example hardly will slide in the draft especially when a gamer see's him still there at number two or whatever.
How that makes Price's career thus far better than Crosby's is another matter. Maybe its becouse of the FHM engine, that using the other more staked out mode would have made Crosby go first? In that mode players still get new linemates from reality which will still make them perform different from real life, and i believe it is not a given that Gretzky will retire exactly in 1999 although he WILL peak during the earlier eighties. Injuries could also happen although Gretzky's risk for that will be very low.

On the other end there is also the setting where players automatically gets drafted where they went in reality which will make the rosters at least somewhat recogniseable although trades will transform them.

Last edited:

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I can believe it since there was this thing that players future career was actually domewhat known going into the drafts, in History Mode. Hard really to have it any other way since a name lile Datsyuk hardly will slide in the draft.
How that makes Price's career thus far better than Crosby's is another matter. Maybe its becouse of the FHM engine, that using the other more staked out mode would have made Crosby go first? In that mode players still get new linemates from reality will still make them perform different from real life, and i believe it is not a given that he will retire exactly in 1999 although he WILL peak during the earlier eighties.
If you're are referring to Gretzky than yes he does retire in 99 but puts up 2 monster seasons to end it. One of the biggest gems I saw was the summer of 98. In 97-98 the Devils win the cup but Marty Brodeur jumps ship to the Preds. Also that summer Eric Lindros leaves Philly for Chicago, and Jagr bolts Pittsburgh for Tampa. The result of that is Mario comes back 2 years earlier and picks up right where he left off dominating the league leading Pittsburgh to a cup in 99. Lindros is never the same in Chicago, and Jagr does ok in Tampa but winds up going a few other places as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pominville Knows

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Can you post Gretz & Mess's stat lines from 97-98 onward? Also - did Leetch & Richter still regress (like in real life) or maintain an elite level of play?

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Richter did regress and ended his career as a backup to Dan Cloutier but Leetch was still a top pair dman until 2006 when he retired. Ill do the stat lines tonight for you tonight. Ill just say Mess had a very interesting season in his early 40s. I wish this game was hosted on an internet server so I could access whenever I want.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
upload_2019-2-15_23-29-57.png

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Regarding the thread about "great" american players pre-1980 i remember when i took the role of an especially patriotic american GM in 1931(Earlier FHM versions only went that far back becouse the creators had problems with the game play of the very young NHL) and started force trading for those "great" american players. I did take care of the trades being fair though, and had to get some canadians on the team as well becouse otherwise my team would suck. I early on had both Brimsek and Karakas as my goalies, and used players from US olympic and world championship teams(Gold in 1933) that in reality chose to never go to the NHL/minors becouse salaries then was not as great as today(Even happened to a few from the Miracle team). Those players were worth going over since the creators at least back then were not as knowledgeable as our community is, they could also be missing alltogether if they in reality had zero NHL games.
Tommy Williams became an important player a bit later.
Unfortunately i now have been without a computer for two full years so i can't get FHM5. :( I believe i actually got FHM4 a year ago but have not gotten to use it. My life had spiraled almost out of control becouse a neighbour had destroyed my sleep. Now even a lightly convicted citizen and soon perhaps another one risking a repeat, even though i at least this time is basically innocent.

Last edited:

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Champions
97-98-New Jersey
98-99- Pittsburgh
99-00-Philadelphia
00-01-Pittsburgh
01-02- Colorado
02-03-Colorado
03-04-Detroit
04-05-Phoenix
05-06-Anaheim
06-07-Anaheim
07-08-Calgary
08-09- Ny Rangers
09-10-Atlanta
10-11-Boston
11-12 Tampa
12-13-Phoenix
13-14- Ottawa
14-15- Montreal
15-16- Edmonton
16-17-Nashville
17-18 -Arizona

Reactions: GB and pukovnik

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
One thing i have not tried but would be cool is to continue the eighties Oilers, including Gretzky and Coffey into the nineties. See how long it gets them before they miss the playoffs.
To not get into salary trouble you just put like $1 per season on the most expensive guys. Just pretend that they either get a new wealthy owner or that the canadian dollar got strong.
See if Lemieux's Penguins can win when they play the Oilers deep in the playoffs, maybe let them have Coffey. When it comes to the Rangers they at least get to keep Amonte and Weight which could make them solid in the second half of the decade.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad