Franchise Hockey Manager 5 historical mode (Random debut feature)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
You guys may remember this thread outlining FHM's historical mode (which has since been improved to feature seasons all the way back to 1917-1918 now.

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - NHL & WHA Historical mode

Anyways, in the most recent version, they finally added a random debut feature, which I was personally hounding the devs for for quite awhile, and it is honestly an awesome addition for fans of hockey's wonderful history.

The possibilities are essentially limitless. If you check out the OP in that previous thread you'll get an idea of what the game can do. But with random debut, it completely shuffles the years and eras in which the players played. When you choose a year, you have the option to do a fantasy draft of randomly selected players for a league wide draft. If you have the 1st pick, you may have an option to choose from a 25 year old Jean Beliveau or a 26 year old Nicklas Lidstrom.

Let's say you start in 1935. You may have a 27 year old Alex Ovechkin playing for the Montreal Maroons and a 22 year old Eddie Shore playing for the New York Americans. It's really neat playing an alternate history of what ifs. What if Mario Lemieux played in the 1950's? What if Newsy Lalonde played in the 90's?

After you choose a starting year, each off-season thereafter you'll have a new set of completely random draftees. The '75 draft class may have Gordie Howe and Eric Lindros while 1995 may have Howie Morenz and Mark Messier etc..

It uses the FHM development system, so careers may last longer or shorter then in real life, and some players careers will differ as well (but no major crazy differences really), so that way it's not always the same every time you play. If you choose to have players more accurately represented you can also do that with the re-calc option but just not in random debut mode). What this means is that a guy like Tomas Hertl can be an absolute legend in the 80's and a guy like Brett Hull can be a solid NHLer but not the HOFer he was in real life.

It's really quite enjoyable to simulate alternate NHL histories to see how players and teams did for their careers, and it's really interesting to become a GM/coach for any team in any era in history.

I recently ran a test file from 1917 all the way through 2018. If anyone has any questions about how a specific player did in their career or how a team has fared I'd be glad to post some info.

I don't work for FHM for the record, but I do beta test for them and historical mode is something I spend a lot of time helping them tweak through testing and suggestions. I wish more people - especially on here - would see the awesome potential. Hell, you can even do online leagues now. How cool would an online HF historical league be?

Last edited:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I recently ran a test file from 1917 all the way through 2018. If anyone has any questions about how a specific player did in their career or how a team has fared I'd be glad to post some info.

Can you post how Montreal and Colorado fared ? :)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Can you post how Montreal and Colorado fared ? :)

The Habs have won the 2nd most Cups in NHL history (1 behind the Leafs) with 13. They won in '25, '26, '49, '53, '65, '67, '69, '70, '72, '73, '76, '86, '08. They have 3 players in history to hit the 1,000 point mark as Montreal Canadiens. Taylor Hall (1998-2012), Babe Dye (1981-1996) and Claude Giroux (1940-1959). Other notable players to play for the Habs in their career are Luc Robitaille, Joe Mullen, Frank Fredrickson, Vincent Lecavalier, Auston Matthews, Rene Robert, Jason Spezza and Sweeney Schriner.

The Avs have only won 1 cup (2018) in Colorado and another one in Quebec in 1989 despite having Wayne Gretzky from 1981 to 2003, who put up 2,487 points in 1,718 games. They've had Bobby Clarke, Aurel Joliat, Paul Coffey, Rusty Crawford and Tomas Hertl play significant roles for them in their history.

Reactions: pukovnik

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
The Habs have won the 2nd most Cups in NHL history (1 behind the Leafs) with 13. They won in '25, '26, '49, '53, '65, '67, '69, '70, '72, '73, '76, '86, '08. They have 3 players in history to hit the 1,000 point mark as Montreal Canadiens. Taylor Hall (1998-2012), Babe Dye (1981-1996) and Claude Giroux (1940-1959). Other notable players to play for the Habs in their career are Luc Robitaille, Joe Mullen, Frank Fredrickson, Vincent Lecavalier, Auston Matthews, Rene Robert, Jason Spezza and Sweeney Schriner.

The Avs have only won 1 cup (2018) in Colorado and another one in Quebec in 1989 despite having Wayne Gretzky from 1981 to 2003, who put up 2,487 points in 1,718 games. They've had Bobby Clarke, Aurel Joliat, Paul Coffey, Rusty Crawford and Tomas Hertl play significant roles for them in their history.

Thanks ! :) And where did Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg played ? :)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Thanks ! :) And where did Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg played ? :)

Joe Sakic is currently 29 and has played with the New York Islanders since 2007-2008. He has 801 points in 805 career games and has a Hart Trophy, Conn Smythe, Art Ross, and 2 Maurice Richard Trophies to his credit while being a 2x Stanley Cup champion.

Peter Forsberg played his whole career with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks/Ducks from 1996-1997 to 2015-2016, having his number 16 retired by the team. He put up a career stat line of 1483-402-917-1319. In the early 00's he formed a pretty damn good line with Harry Cameron and Helmut Balderis on his wings.

Reactions: pukovnik

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I enjoy just letting it run and then reviewing history some times

That’s pretty much exactly what I do. I like to follow careers, trades, dynasties etc by spectating..rather than being a GM for a specific team, although I can see why that may be boring for some if they’re actually looking to “play” type thing.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
That’s pretty much exactly what I do. I like to follow careers, trades, dynasties etc by spectating..rather than being a GM for a specific team, although I can see why that may be boring for some if they’re actually looking to “play” type thing.

Usually I do play, but from time to time I just sim and see how the history will go.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
In this alternate history, Thomas Gradin was the WHA’s all-time leading scorer with 858 points in 519 games. He was drafted by both the Vancouver Canucks and New England Whalers in 1972 before choosing New England and the WHA. His NHL rights were traded to the North Stars in 1974 in a deal involving Eddie Giacomin. He played for the Stars for 6 seasons after the WHA folded. He put up 534 points in 462 NHL games, winning the Conn Smythe in 1979-1980.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
In this alternate history, Thomas Gradin was the WHA’s all-time leading scorer with 858 points in 519 games. He was drafted by both the Vancouver Canucks and New England Whalers in 1972 before choosing New England and the WHA. His NHL rights were traded to the North Stars in 1974 in a deal involving Eddie Giacomin. He played for the Stars for 6 seasons after the WHA folded. He put up 534 points in 462 NHL games, winning the Conn Smythe in 1979-1980.

I had a past one were Gordie Howe played 8 years for the Red Wings before leaving and playing RD for the Montreal Canadiens handing them the dynasty of the 60s winning multiple Hart, Art Ross's and Norris trophies

Reactions: Habsfan18

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
This game seems awesome... how did Bobby Orr and Charlie Conacher do?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
This game seems awesome... how did Bobby Orr and Charlie Conacher do?

Orr was the 1st overall pick in 2000 by the Columbus Blue Jackets. He retired at 36 years of age, finishing his career with 989 points in 1336 games. His career high in points was 80, and hit the 20 goal mark 8 separate times. Much different career than in real life, but we have to consider he played in the 00’s.

Charlie Conacher was one of the original NHLers, starting with the Ottawa Senators in 1917-1918 and playing there until he retired at 32 years of age after the 1928-1929 season. He won a Conn Smythe and 2 Stanley Cups. His career stat line was 320-132-142-274.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Orr was the 1st overall pick in 2000 by the Columbus Blue Jackets. He retired at 36 years of age, finishing his career with 989 points in 1336 games. His career high in points was 80, and hit the 20 goal mark 8 separate times. Much different career than in real life, but we have to consider he played in the 00’s.

Charlie Conacher was one of the original NHLers, starting with the Ottawa Senators in 1917-1918 and playing there until he retired at 32 years of age after the 1928-1929 season. He won a Conn Smythe and 2 Stanley Cups. His career stat line was 320-132-142-274.

Neat, thanks!

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Was burned so badly by the version 1 of this game that I supported and ended up not playing much because it was so incomplete and clunky.

Has the UI been fixed so that you don't have to spend inordinate amounts of time clicking all over the place at random to set things up for your team etc.?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Was burned so badly by the version 1 of this game that I supported and ended up not playing much because it was so incomplete and clunky.

Has the UI been fixed so that you don't have to spend inordinate amounts of time clicking all over the place at random to set things up for your team etc.?

It’s not perfect by any stretch, but pretty much everything about FHM has improved by leaps and bounds since the disaster that was FHM 1, including the UI.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

This is day and night compared to FHM 1...I recommend the game :)

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
For future versions when it comes to Historical mode, I would like to have Olympics, Canada Cups and IHWC's. That would be so neat.:)

BigMike79

Apr 24, 2016
Hey guys.

Brave, each version gets much better. Im also a huge fan of their baseball sim "Out of the Park Baseball" which is almost perfect at this point. But with baseball OOTP 20 will be released this spring. My point is, took some years (versions) to get it right. Each new version should be better than last. Give it a try. Don't let the first version turn you off for good.

NHL WAR, The historical random debut is so much fun. But you can also play current NHL with almost every other league in the world with real players. Or play historical with the real players making their debut with their real life team. Some careers might be typical of real life but some players might have injuries they never come back from. Maybe a Rob Brown never gets traded and becomes a hof player as a linemate of Lemieux. You can also have a new draft each year of the real rookie class but with their new teams they get drafted on. Does Jagr go number 1 instead of Owen Nolan to Quebec and it changes his career course.

So many options in a game that brings hours of fun. Enjoy!!!!

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Started historical game with Montreal Canadiens. I was lucky to have first pick and first two ranked players were Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy. Had big debate with myself whom to pick, but as goalie is the most important I picked Roy.

Here is my roster in 1917/1918. season. :)

random-debut.png

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Careers of:

- Jeremy Roenick
- Steve Larmer
- Mark Bell
- Dirk Graham

please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->