Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man, how did I forget the All-Star Game was in Denver that year too?

I've always felt that the Avs were truly fortunate both the Stars and Wings bowed out early that postseason. In the previous two, the Avs battled through Detroit only to come up short against Dallas. And it also helped that St. Louis dispatched Dallas so quickly and then had to sit idle while LA/COL went the full seven. A lot of winning a Cup is skill and some of it's leadership/intangibles/blah blah blah...but a whole lot of it is just plain dumb luck.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Indeed a magical season not just for the Avs but Mario also returned that season and lit the NHL on fire. That Avs run was defined by 4 goals for me. Forsberg Game 3 OT against Vancouver, Rob Blakes goal to break the shutout streak in game 7 against LA, Sakics PP OT goal against the blues in game 5. Khavanov with an absolutely stupid selfish 4 minute crosscheck to Milan Hejduk because he couldn't take a hit lol and perhaps the biggest goal of the run was Adam Footes blueline shot in game 6. Game 6 first period practically solidified in my mind that Patrick Roy is the GOAT.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Indeed a magical season not just for the Avs but Mario also returned that season and lit the NHL on fire. That Avs run was defined by 4 goals for me. Forsberg Game 3 OT against Vancouver, Rob Blakes goal to break the shutout streak in game 7 against LA, Sakics PP OT goal against the blues in game 5. Khavanov with an absolutely stupid selfish 4 minute crosscheck to Milan Hejduk because he couldn't take a hit lol and perhaps the biggest goal of the run was Adam Footes blueline shot in game 6. Game 6 first period practically solidified in my mind that Patrick Roy is the GOAT.

I jumped out of my seat when he scored, my mom was like "What happened! omg?! are you crazy screaming like that"

i mean i overreacted but still it was such a relief , Potvin was playing out of his mind iirc.

All the plays you mentioned were great, but for some reason i remember Foote tackling some Canuck in gm3 OT and prob should have gotten a penalty , i think it was Bertuzzi...moments later Forsberg just took over.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I jumped out of my seat when he scored, my mom was like "What happened! omg?! are you crazy screaming like that"

i mean i overreacted but still it was such a relief , Potvin was playing out of his mind iirc.

All the plays you mentioned were great, but for some reason i remember Foote tackling some Canuck in gm3 OT and prob should have gotten a penalty , i think it was Bertuzzi...moments later Forsberg just took over.

Hmm Foote might have done that but it wasn't to Bertuzzi. Reinprecht took a penalty on one of the Sedins and as the play was still going on Bertuzzi drove Eric Messiers face into the ice to negate a PP the Nucks would have had in OT...and then Foppa walked through the Nucks and roofed it on Essensa in OT haha.

Reactions: agentblack

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Hmm Foote might have done that but it wasn't to Bertuzzi. Reinprecht took a penalty on one of the Sedins and as the play was still going on Bertuzzi drove Eric Messiers face into the ice to negate a PP the Nucks would have had in OT...and then Foppa walked through the Nucks and roofed it on Essensa in OT haha.

omg good memory haha thanks Todd.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It was also a blatant penalty that drew a great deal of blood so Bertuzzi deserved at least a double minor for that. But he learned his lesson and never bounced a Av's head off the ice again.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I FINALLY sat down and read Dater's oral history of the Bourque deal and how it went down. Y'all should give it a read if you haven't already. It's BSN but you don't need a subscription for this one.

BSN Exclusive: An oral history of the trade that sent Ray Bourque to Colorado – BSN Denver

I still remember reading and resigning myself to him being a Flyer. I was not thrilled about that at all (I still have an aversion to orange-and-black and still love black-and-gold from my youth hockey days in Arvada) so seeing my boy in those colors would've been tough to watch...not to mention he very likely would not have gotten his Cup.

I've said both good and bad things about Lacroix, but there is no denying the man knew how to play the negotiation game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I'm pretty sure every game against Vancouver back then, Foote tacked some Canuck. :laugh:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Footer literally piggybacked on Tkachuk in front of the net at one point to prevent a scoring chance during the WCF that year, they even showed it again later on the highlights. Very different era back then. :laugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Footer literally piggybacked on Tkachuk in front of the net at one point to prevent a scoring chance during the WCF that year, they even showed it again later on the highlights. Very different era back then. :laugh:
im seeing that play in my head right now haha. Man was he good that series. I dont even think Keith scored in that series. Jamal Meyers was a pain in the ass that series haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->