Speculation: Francesco Aquilini Warning Shot towards Jim Benning?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If FA wants the heat off of him, he needs to do something to make up for quashing the media for close to a decade.

I encourage you to subscribe to the Athletics because it's pretty much Botch unleashed.

I've thought about it, but I think I already hear enough from Botch and Paterson. I'm not sure The Athetic would provide anything that I'm missing, though I did enjoy Harman Dayal's articles on CA once upon a time.

A Holland-type hire allows Aquilini to completely recede into the shadows. Holland is good enough with PR to make up for any deficiency.

I think Aquilini is smart for avoiding the media as he has done. More exposure would mean more trouble for him, IMO.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
We need a progressive young GM who comprehends we have the worst travel schedule by far in the NHL and is prepared to make every aspect of the organization elite to compensate for the disadvantages Vancouver faces as a NHL franchise. I'd rather not recycle old meathead players since they seem brain dead towards advanced stats and 21st century nuances of running a billion dollar professional sports organization.
So ... Mike Gillis?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's a bit of a stretch to call it a "warning shot" but this is the tweet in question.

He's basically saying "Hey, don't blame me for this cluster****."

Is it really or is that your supposition?

Talk about adding a bunch of conjecture for a statement that addressed exactly what he said.

Benchings and trading are not his decisions so quit bugging him on twitter about it is what i read. Hardly worth a thread....maybe someone can add something else of substance to this or am i missing something?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's a bit of a stretch to call it a "warning shot" but this is the tweet in question.

All I see is Francesco repeating that he doesn't meddle in hockey decisions. Something that is probably complete bs, though to what extend we don't know, but he's obviously sensitive about getting accused of it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
All I see is Francesco repeating that he doesn't meddle in hockey decisions. Something that is probably complete bs, though to what extend we don't know, but he's obviously sensitive about his image and getting accused of it.

Right, which is part of the reason I think Benning has so much rope. This guy is so sensitive to accusations of "meddling" that he's not going to fire Benning until the market is calling for his head.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
We're only playing meaningful games because the conference is terrible. We're at pretty much the same place as last year points wise.

They aren’t playing meaningful games. Well not for themselves. For the Avs it was a meaningful game last night but not the Canucks. They are 6 back. It would take one of the most surprising runs in history to get into the playoffs.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I've thought about it, but I think I already hear enough from Botch and Paterson. I'm not sure The Athetic would provide anything that I'm missing, though I did enjoy Harman Dayal's articles on CA once upon a time.

A Holland-type hire allows Aquilini to completely recede into the shadows. Holland is good enough with PR to make up for any deficiency.

I think Aquilini is smart for avoiding the media as he has done. More exposure would mean more trouble for him, IMO.

Absolutely at least give The Athletic a try. It is top notch reporting all around.

Reactions: The Colonel

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
It has come to become knowledge that Francesco Aquilini took all the Canucks top sponsors down to Las Vegas for the weekend. That weekend included the Canucks game vs the Golden Knights. so he was probably very embarrassed in front of important people who pour millions of dollars into his Family"s account.

James Elmer Benning was not there as he was on his way to Florida for the GM - Meetings

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I would love to know what was said in that suite....... like why would we keep sponsoring this team that looks like a train wreck

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018

Hahaha what a stretch absolutely bizarre to read that into this tweet

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

I just posted this on his Twitter
To view keyboard shortcuts, press question mark
View keyboard shortcuts

vAGj5vjs_x96.jpg

Francesco Aquilini
@fr_aquilini
·
Feb 26
Re comments I get, like “Trade so-and-so” or “Bench that guy.” I don’t make hockey decisions. My job is to provide Jim and Travis and their group with the resources they need to build a competitive team over the long term.
Replying to @fr_aquilini

How does it feel to be providing resources to another season of being a non competitive hockey team again..How is that working out for you Mr Aquilini?
default_profile_x96.png

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It has come to become knowledge that Francesco Aquilini took all the Canucks top sponsors down to Las Vegas for the weekend. That weekend included the Canucks game vs the Golden Knights. so he was probably very embarrassed in front of important people who pour millions of dollars into his Family"s account.

James Elmer Benning was not there as he was on his way to Florida for the GM - Meetings

Were you getting this from the latest PatCast because they corroborate this intel.

Had you said this more than 14 hours ago, instead of 7 hours ago, I think that would have opened more eyes/ears on here.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Botchford is saying that even though they own the Uitca Comets. it is very much run like a independent league. he saying that Trent Cull is doing what he wants .. Benning will tell him something and then it happens for a game or two. Then Cull is going back to how he wants to run the team

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Botchford is saying that even though they own the Uitca Comets. it is very much run like a independent league. he saying that Trent Cull is doing what he wants .. Benning will tell him something and then it happens for a game or two. Then Cull is going back to how he wants to run the team

I brought up the topic of Trent Cull up over in the Utica thread and the reception seems to be positive overall for now.

From a Canucks perspective, if what Botchford said is true, the Canucks really should look into hiring a new coach. Not every AHL coach we have is going to be as good as AV or even Green.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->