Speculation: Francesco Aquilini Warning Shot towards Jim Benning?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks are always ready to treat their people badly. Now we know where it originates. It was always kind of obvious because the boss sets the tone for an organization. So classy! :thumbu:

Reactions: Zippgunn

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
There was a time you wouldn't find a bigger Aquilini defender than me. The firing of Nonis followed by the Gillis regime bought about a decade of fierce loyalty from me. But after the last few years of Benning, I can't come to any other conclusion than this guy is second generation money and a complete idiot.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
How do you come up with these hot takes.?..its almost right up there with your "Benning is definitely getting fired and replaced by Kenny Holland..take it to the bank"..quote.

or his quotes before their respective drafts that the canucks were definitely going to take hughes and juolevi.

oh wait.

Reactions: geebaan

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Oh, sure but I don’t think the opinions here reflect the attitude of the Canuck fan base as a whole.

You're right, they definitely don't.

I posted a poll on Twitter of if Benning should be fired if Edler walks. As of right now, 68% think no.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
HFCanucks represents the hardcore 1% of the most hockey obsessed 1% of Canucks fans. Just about all of us could do a legit top 2019 NHL Draft prospects list on par with most media outlets while most Canucks fans can only name maybe three or four guys on the team. We've been losing our minds for years over stuff the majority of the fanbase is just becoming conscious of.

What's scary is the effect of the media on the fan base. Gillis is run out of town yet Benning has been coddled for years.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
You're right, they definitely don't.

I posted a poll on Twitter of if Benning should be fired if Edler walks. As of right now, 68% think no.
An interesting question to poll would be: If the Canucks fail to make the playoffs next season, should Benning be fired?
I think you’d get a overwhelming yes. Patience is running out.

Reactions: geebaan

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I do believe that he will last the year and get one more shot at this next year. But if they do not make the playoffs next year it it will 5 years in a row and as it was mentioned on the board before a record of most consecutive years for a canuck team not to make the playoffs.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Owners like Aquilini fire their GMs based on media perception and public pressure.
Gillis was fired only after the media turned the public against him and the crowd at the arena was chanting it.
Chiarelli wasn't fired until the national media was screaming for his head, and even then fired reluctantly.

Judging by Twitter, the tide of public opinion finally seems to be turning against Benning.
I think there's a small chance he either gets let go or re-assigned to a different position in the organization at the end of the year.

I don't think replacing Benning will solve the real problem here though: Francesco.
All of his tweets come off as an egotistical, impatient, uninformed fanboy who wants everything now now now and I'm sure he vetoes beneficial long-term moves in favor of short-sighted junk.
The stories about Linden getting fired for preaching patience were probably true.
Even when Benning is replaced, I think we'll see a lot of the same problems.
Even Melnyk is willing to be patient and rebuild.

Reactions: vanuck and Zippgunn

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
The Boss had this to say about Jim Benning and his Team

Francesco Aquilini (@fr_aquilini) | Twitter

so do not tweet asking him to bench or trade anyone. He just provides the cash. Looks like the start of distancing himself from the people that run his Hockey Team..

others will see it otherwise I guess
How the hell do you get that from that tweet?

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Oh, sure but I don’t think the opinions here reflect the attitude of the Canuck fan base as a whole.

The general attitude of Canuck fans since Benning has been around is apathy. Fans used to be quite vocal and critical even after they stopped selling out near the end of the Gillis regime. Benning and the astroturfers changed all that. People do not care about the Canucks like they used to.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I would not be shocked as I have mentioned in other threads that John Weisbrod. takes over after Benning gets fired.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I do believe that he will last the year and get one more shot at this next year. But if they do not make the playoffs next year it it will 5 years in a row and as it was mentioned on the board before a record of most consecutive years for a canuck team not to make the playoffs.

I heard on the radio that Benning has the longest playoff drought among tenured GM's. I'd say one more year max before he gets fired if the Canucks miss it again.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Jason Botchford is hinting that Ray Ferraro may be interested in getting into management. Local guy. would be outstanding with the media. Italian background. what do you guys think

I love Ferraro, but I think he would need some seasoning before taking on a GM role. He's admitted as much before in prior interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad