Speculation: Francesco Aquilini Warning Shot towards Jim Benning?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Over the past four seasons the Canucks have the worst winning percentage of any team in the NHL. It better get better in a hurry, or even Aquillini will be forced to act.

The sports odds-makers have this current version of the Canucks at just over 'eight percent' to make the playoffs. I don't care what the standings show, in Gary Bettman's three-point world, objects are lot further away than they seem.

That would make it five of last six seasons with no playoffs. In just about any other NHL market, the owner would have handed out the blindfold and a cigarette a long time ago.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The Boss had this to say about Jim Benning and his Team

Francesco Aquilini (@fr_aquilini) | Twitter

so do not tweet asking him to bench or trade anyone. He just provides the cash. Looks like the start of distancing himself from the people that run his Hockey Team..

others will see it otherwise I guess
More like try to absolve himself of any blame.

He's gotten a reputation for meddling with hockey affairs and gm decisions. Probably his way of re-affirming that he doesn't do anything of the sort so he doesn't get any flak like last time.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
TMuiJgS.jpg

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Boss had this to say about Jim Benning and his Team

Francesco Aquilini (@fr_aquilini) | Twitter

so do not tweet asking him to bench or trade anyone. He just provides the cash. Looks like the start of distancing himself from the people that run his Hockey Team..

others will see it otherwise I guess
How do you come up with these hot takes.?..its almost right up there with your "Benning is definitely getting fired and replaced by Kenny Holland..take it to the bank"..quote.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Tweet reads more like an endorsement than anything. The fact that Aquilini mentions Benning and the phrase "long term" in the same sentence clearly indicates that the Aquaman is about to disrupt the whole industry and lay down the first 10-year GM contract the NHL has ever seen! Others will see it otherwise I guess.

Reactions: lindgren

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Over the past four seasons the Canucks have the worst winning percentage of any team in the NHL. It better get better in a hurry, or even Aquillini will be forced to act.

The sports odds-makers have this current version of the Canucks at just over 'eight percent' to make the playoffs. I don't care what the standings show, in Gary Bettman's three-point world, objects are lot further away than they seem.

That would make it five of last six seasons with no playoffs. In just about any other NHL market, the owner would have handed out the blindfold and a cigarette a long time ago.

Ridiculous post. We all expected this, I can't imagine management didn't either. This is why Benning's job is safe, he has probably next year and the year after to make playoffs. If not, then he'll be gone.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
How do you come up with these hot takes.?..its almost right up there with your "Benning is definitely getting fired and replaced by Kenny Holland..take it to the bank"..quote.

you keep bring up the Holland rumour. I was wrong sorry. what I wrote is just my opinion on the message he wrote. How about you share our take on the Benning

I would love to hear your hot take?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This is definitely a deflect the blame tweet.

It’s a ‘don’t look at me I just write the cheques’ type of tweet.

Which completely blows away my original hypothesis of fanboi Franky treating the Canucks as his hobby but supports my new hypothesis of the league managing the Canucks.

The decision making process has definitely changed since Linden has left.

But, it hasn’t changed drastically.

A positive would be that we’re not seeing the outright value destroying transactions that we have been accustomed to for the last few years.

Another positive is we have organizations such as Toronto sending us serviceable middle 6 forwards for a player like Carcone. This transaction was a particularly weird one for me because it really came out of the blue and with zero history of trading between the two organizations.

And of course Guddy magically being traded to the Pens of all teams.

Franky could have easily tweeted a message showing solidarity with Canucks front office.

The fact that he didn’t actually says quite a lot.

Regardless, the tweets to him shouldn’t subside. In fact they should increase because this mess is his fault and his fault alone.

The buck stops with him and telling people to blame the people that he hired for the current tire fire is what cowards do.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I replied to his Twitter asking how he likes spending his money on players who can not get this team into the playoffs again.
He may tweet back that ticket sales were good though and nuck fans just can't stop buying tickets and merchandise in a hockey crazy province.
Who knew

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Ridiculous post. We all expected this, I can't imagine management didn't either. This is why Benning's job is safe, he has probably next year and the year after to make playoffs. If not, then he'll be gone.

Great. Only six years of missing the playoffs when every other gm in team history didn't make it through three.

Reactions: Canadian Club

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
This is just him trying to dissociate him with this trash team, he knows people don't like him.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Aquilini's been "deny, deny, deny" about his interference with hockey ops since the rumor popped up post-Gillis departure. This is just another attempt to stamp out the buzz that he's hovering over management's shoulder at every turn telling them who to sign, etc. Ownership knows they have a crappy reputation.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Great. Only six years of missing the playoffs when every other gm in team history didn't make it through three.
It doesn’t get repeated enough, no Canucks (nhl) team in about 50 years has missed the postseason five consecutive seasons let alone six consecutive seasons. It ain’t a high bar but even Elmer is in danger of beating that mark. Drafting guru.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It doesn’t get repeated enough, no Canucks (nhl) team in about 50 years has missed the postseason five consecutive seasons let alone six consecutive seasons. It ain’t a high bar but even Elmer is in danger of beating that mark. Drafting guru.
Patience. Hope we miss next year as well. 2021 will be our year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->