FPHL, SPHL Expansions

battra

Oct 24, 2017
You wish ... still.
I wish so hard and so long they'd put a minor league team in the Chaf.

I know they never, ever will.

But with the changes in the Vet Rules and all that business, I think the Family Arena won't be home to hockey any time soon, which makes me sad.

There's so much wrong with St. Charles and I don't wanna get into any of it, but you know what I'm talking about.

I just think with Chase, Twist, Low, and Janssen all still living in town, if there was a fighty league, having them be the faces of the franchise and it could be a success.

But I think I've been spending too much time in the past and wishing we could put the tooth paste back in the tube.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

But with the changes in the Vet Rules and all that business, I think the Family Arena won't be home to hockey any time soon, which makes me sad. ...
None of that rock 'em-sock 'em action you long for, but Lindenwood hockey - both men's & women's programs - are physical & very entertaining (presuming they will resume play in the fall). And social distancing @ CCIC for those games is as easy as walking into USA Arena & choosing your seat from among the 2500 available.

Reactions: mk80

battra

Oct 24, 2017
None of that rock 'em-sock 'em action you long for, but Lindenwood hockey - both men's & women's programs - are physical & very entertaining (presuming they will resume play in the fall). And social distancing @ CCIC for those games is as easy as walking into USA Arena & choosing your seat from among the 2500 available.
We saw...what...

Five or six games last year?

Kiddo got to go into the locker room and get the sheet signed by all the women.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I wonder if the SPHL or FPHL brand of hockey would do well in suburban STL.

Are they a bit fighty?

If you're thinking about the Family Arena, no chance!

They told the group I was working with earlier this summer, they have no desire to have ice hockey in the building as a full time tenant.

That being said, SPHL and FPHL wouldn't go over well anyway in this area. The Chill were a disaster and are a low bar for hockey in this area. For example I never heard back them about doing an internship and working for free! Part of why they failed however is people were willing to pay $25 for nosebleed Blues tickets, than $25 for glass seats at Chill games.

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I am giving them less than a season. Same person in charge of Battle Creek, same level of marketing and investment, same old story. They can put together a 10th team and not burn a market at the same time.

I mean, hooray for him getting another chance, but it's not like the league is going to give him any advantages just like they didn't for Battle Creek. They're a headcount team, so expect them to be as terrible.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I mean, hooray for him getting another chance, but it's not like the league is going to give him any advantages just like they didn't for Battle Creek. They're a headcount team, so expect them to be as terrible.

All they need to do to be considered a success is to have better jerseys and a better arena than Battle Creek. They already easily have the arena part accomplished. As long as the FPHL Frasier jerseys don't have overalls/suspenders displayed on one's jersey, it will accomplish this as well.

Reactions: Atlantian

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

But with the changes in the Vet Rules and all that business, I think the Family Arena won't be home to hockey any time soon, which makes me sad.

There's so much wrong with St. Charles and I don't wanna get into any of it, but you know what I'm talking about.

I just think with Chase, Twist, Low, and Janssen all still living in town, if there was a fighty league, having them be the faces of the franchise and it could be a success.

But I think I've been spending too much time in the past and wishing we could put the tooth paste back in the tube.

Family Arena under it's current management will never host a full time hockey tenant, they're open to having ice for events like when Lindenwood hosted the Women's Frozen Four a few years ago, but as a tenant they have no interest in putting down ice.

I will second @JMCx4's suggestion in that Lindenwood men's and women's are both very good product. Men's games are often quite chippy, and physical especially on the 2nd game of a series. Also the more butts in the seats at Centene the better it looks to the university higher ups.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
I am giving them less than a season. Same person in charge of Battle Creek, same level of marketing and investment, same old story. They can put together a 10th team and not burn a market at the same time.
the mechanics )who i believed played in the same arena )in the uhl had around 1600 attendance maybe the hockey market will be better in faster with fans who missed pro hockey
to be fair i expected battle creek to fail to close to Kalamazoo and fphl hockey can never be branded above the echl

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I join the pool.
My bet is one season.
The St. Clair Shores club lasted 55 games, and their North Shore offspring made it through 44. So I'd lay even odds of the 3rd-gen Fraser HC making it into their second FPHL season, before the desperate remainder of their roster have to don the League's thread-bare "Federals" jerseys & adopt the traveling team lifestyle. :nod:

Reactions: extra skater

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I know maybe I'm setting the bar high since this is the FPHL and all, but that press release is something. Was it written by a fifth grader?
Adam Stio is a one-man show for Fraser HC: General Manager, Team President, Media Coordinator/Chief Scribe. If the club owned the rink, he'd be operating the Zamboni between filling boxes of popcorn at the concession stand.

Reactions: mk80 and Roadhog

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Adam Stio is a one-man show for Fraser HC: General Manager, Team President, Media Coordinator/Chief Scribe. If the club owned the rink, he'd be operating the Zamboni between filling boxes of popcorn at the concession stand.
So he runs the operations similar to how the league has a large portion of it's teams owned by one person :sarcasm:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So he runs the operations similar to how the league has a large portion of it's teams owned by one person :sarcasm:
Let's recognize that The Barry Soskin League isn't the only one that has had a multi-team owner in North American pro hockey. Horn Chen started the Central in 1992 as the owner of 6 teams, and owned up to 8 of them in the subsequent half-dozen seasons with relative business success. So while I'm not a huge supporter of TBSL, there are situations where that sort of monopoly is warranted and/or necessary.

Reactions: mk80

extra skater

Hockey Webcomics
May 9, 2015
The St. Clair Shores club lasted 55 games, and their North Shore offspring made it through 44. So I'd lay even odds of the 3rd-gen Fraser HC making it into their second FPHL season, before the desperate remainder of their roster have to don the League's thread-bare "Federals" jerseys & adopt the traveling team lifestyle. :nod:
What are the odds of turning into a touring team like Bluefins before folding?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Let's recognize that The Barry Soskin League isn't the only one that has had a multi-team owner in North American pro hockey. Horn Chen started the Central in 1992 as the owner of 6 teams, and owned up to 8 of them in the subsequent half-dozen seasons with relative business success. So while I'm not a huge supporter of TBSL, there are situations where that sort of monopoly is warranted and/or necessary.

Of course, Chen started with enough capital to actually run a functional organization.

Similarly, Rick Adams owned three different teams (Johnstown, Texas, Long Beach) in the ECHL. They always struggled, but they survived, for a while at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad