Fox Sports Regional Nets - broadcast changes

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure when the change occurred but tonight is the first night I've noticed it. It looks like FSN has decided to favor the HD broadcasts from a graphics perspective, or at least as an experiment tonight. All of the graphics on the HD feeds of games are "framed" properly (example - no more FoxBox a third of the way in to the screen - it's larger and in the top left corner where it belongs).

The SD feeds OTOH are experiencing a significant picture change. They are getting black bars on the top and bottom of the screen to show the "wide" 16:9 picture - sacrificing some screen real estate to do it.

- T

Last edited:

CloakroomCrusader

Dec 3, 2005
Columbus
Fox as a whole on the sports side is doing this. They did it for NFL games this year too. Step in the right direction if you ask me, and that's coming from a guy who watches every one of my team's games on Center Ice, rarely in HD.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
yeah, it'd be great for HD but it's a pain in the butt in SD. I actually tuned in to a bit of the NFL playoffs this year. My local CTV and FOX are both in SD, yet they carried the HD feed with those black bars... Made me wish I had a magnifying glass. I was thankful for every game that was on CBS!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Been there done that.......... It's amazing how after a few days you get used to the bars and don't even notice them anymore. When you first start seeing them, I guess you are sort of fixed on them.

Moo

Moooooooooooooooo!
Jan 18, 2008
Valrico, FL
To expand on predeuce's comment, FOX did this for all NFL broadcasts this year, starting in the preseason. The noticable change is you can film entirely for HD instead of using HD cameras but squeezing everything into a SD frame.

You do adjust to the black bars quickly if you're watching the "SD feed" of the game.

Most Fox RSNs are going to this format, yes, but I have noticed that FSOhio (at least for CBJ games) has not adopted it yet. Then again, FSOhio seems to be one of the last to ever get anything. They got FOX-Mo this year and acted like it was the best invention ever -- when I had seen it years ago on other FSN productions, such as PAC-10 football and Ducks and Kings games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->