Larry Brooks: Fox, Miller, and Lafrenière to not play in Worlds.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not surprised with the Miller and Lafreniere decisions. That NHL workload is an adjustment and they could use the rest. It will be a short offseason.

Fox, surprisingly, has not played a full NHL season yet. 125 games over two years. Again, short offseason, and he'll come into next year with a lot of pressure. Mentally, any chance of having a slip in play is probably not even worth it.

Zibanejad is a guy I'd like to see get in for Sweden. He's a guy who could use time on the ice in a different atmosphere to get his head together. He produced in the second half but I still think he's not himself, as is the case with a number of older players, which Dolan apparently took note of.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Upon hearing the reasoning behind it I do get it now. These guys are still kids, haven't seen their families or been with them in forever.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Upon hearing the reasoning behind it I do get it now. These guys are still kids, haven't seen their families or been with them in forever.

Yeah I think there's a mental aspect to this as much of a physical one. Gotta remember how different their lives have been since January too where they basically haven't been allowed to do anything or see anyone with the protocols in place.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Yeah I think there's a mental aspect to this as much of a physical one. Gotta remember how different their lives have been since January too where they basically haven't been allowed to do anything or see anyone with the protocols in place.

So true. Life on the road is typically fun with team bonding. In covid it's your hotel room or go to the rink. That's it.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I would never expect this to be said publicly, but with all the bullshit that has gone on this year, if they were too mentally and physically exhausted to go, I would understand.

I don’t think we can overstate how abnormal this season has been.

Reactions: Synergy27

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I get Fox. I don’t get Miller and Laf not going. They should go play some more games. 82 games next year they still need to be ready for that. Don’t understand the harm in playing a few more games.
It saids in the article why they are bowing out, and I don’t blame them.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not surprised with the Miller and Lafreniere decisions. That NHL workload is an adjustment and they could use the rest. It will be a short offseason.

Fox, surprisingly, has not played a full NHL season yet. 125 games over two years. Again, short offseason, and he'll come into next year with a lot of pressure. Mentally, any chance of having a slip in play is probably not even worth it.

Zibanejad is a guy I'd like to see get in for Sweden. He's a guy who could use time on the ice in a different atmosphere to get his head together. He produced in the second half but I still think he's not himself, as is the case with a number of older players, which Dolan apparently took note of.
He played almost 25 minutes a game which is insane. No reason for him to get more burnt out.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Everyone gonna come back in September with body transformations

Same.
s-l400.jpg

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Laf maybe. Miller is clearly exhausted - which is par for the course for a kid coming out of a college hockey program. He needs to rest for a couple of weeks and then start an offseason training regimen.
Not saying I disagree, because I’m fine with that reasoning. But if they want his conditioning to improve so he can play 82 + playoffs, you’d think they would want him in more games now.

Either way, I trust them to make the right decisions for him (though I feel less confident in that statement now than I would have had I made it a week ago...)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Pointless tournament and probably dont want them to get injured in it.
The fact it's pointless to you, doesn't make it pointless for the players, or some other hockey fans. Especially Russians who are the most eager ones to go.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think these guys need a real offseason, the world championship this year isn't what this team needs right now after this covid playoffs and season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The fact it's pointless to you, doesn't make it pointless for the players, or some other hockey fans. Especially Russians who are the most eager ones to go.
Sounds like everyone wants to go home and see their families.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I’ve always had a hard time taking the World Championships seriously. Half the talent pool is automatically ineligible due to NHL playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad