TV: FOX makes put for X-Men universe pilot

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
http://marvel.com/news/tv/26440/fox...arvel_action-adventure_series?linkId=26492699

The Untitled Fox Marvel Project will focus on two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive. The series will be produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Marvel Television, with 20th Century Fox handling physical production.

“Developing a Marvel property has been a top priority for the network--and we are so pleased with how Matt Nix has led us into this thrilling universe,†said Madden. “There’s comic book adventure, emotional and complicated relationships, and a rich, existing mythology from which to draw. With the brilliant production crew behind this project, it has all the makings of a big, fun and exciting new series.â€

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Sounds interesting.

Maybe take a page or a bit from the cartoons, and the first couple of Jubilee episodes?

I wonder if we'll have actual X-men and Xavier?

Or will this be like AOS and you never see the 'big guys'?

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
would have promise if it wasn't for fox in completecontrol. let marvel do their thing. jessica jones and daredevil are ****ing amazing.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well they already have plans or are in production for Legion (I've read the pilot script) and Hellfire.

They're really trying to ramp up production, and personally I don't mind. No one's as good as Marvel themselves but Fox has mostly done a pretty good job with the X-Men.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
They could use the new generation xmen (the second). Perhaps the fleeing family is the Guthries. While they won't follow the comics, I hope they give the X-men at least the same ages as in the comics. I don't want to see a founding member as a little boy again.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Can't be any worse out of the gates than Agents of Shield. I'm optimistic.

The first couple of episodes were rubbish. No comparison to now. I could do without the scientists, though, but that's a small criticism.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So it's the "Gotham" and "AoS" for Xmen suckers? Big ol' steamin' pile a put if you ask me

JA

So it's the "Gotham" and "AoS" for Xmen suckers? Big ol' steamin' pile a put if you ask me
Isn't there a show called DC's Legends of Tomorrow? I thought that was DC's answer to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Wouldn't it be more similar to that than Gotham?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
None of the shows are "great". Not AOS, not Arrow, not Flash, not Gotham. They are ok/not bad/fine/kinda fun, at best. And that's coming from a lifelong Marvel/DC comic fan that sincerely wants them to be good.

The only good/great series to date is Daredevil, and to a lesser extent Jessica Jones.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
None of the shows are "great". Not AOS, not Arrow, not Flash, not Gotham. They are ok/not bad/fine/kinda fun, at best. And that's coming from a lifelong Marvel/DC comic fan that sincerely wants them to be good.

The only good/great series to date is Daredevil, and to a lesser extent Jessica Jones.

Because you say it, it must be true.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California

Flash is ****ing great

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Because you say it, it must be true.

LOL. I dunno. When I think of good/great shows, I think of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Fargo, House of Cards, Black Mirror, The Expanse, etc.

I can't see how you put any of the comic-related shows, outside of Daredevil and maybe Jessica Jones, or maybe Preacher (so far anyhow), anywhere close to this conversation. They all seem to suffer from inconsistent/dissatisfying acting performances, poorly planned overall plot/continuity, lack of development, etc. None of them feel like they're weaving together any long-term payoff. They set pieces in place, then walk away from them forever. Or they don't set the table in the first place. It's not the same caliber of storytelling.

Are the shows fun? Sure. Guilty pleasure? Yeah. Great? No.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Disney: Come on, Fox. Give the X-Men back.
Fox: No.
Disney: Come ooonnn... I'll share it. Promise.
Fox: **** off.
Disney: FINE! We're gonna start isolating the X-Men comics so you don't have any additional material to adapt. What do you say to that?
Fox: Don't care. We'll just make it all up.
c4dtEBu.gif

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
LOL. I dunno. When I think of good/great shows, I think of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Fargo, House of Cards, Black Mirror, The Expanse, etc.

I can't see how you put any of the comic-related shows, outside of Daredevil and maybe Jessica Jones, or maybe Preacher (so far anyhow), anywhere close to this conversation. They all seem to suffer from inconsistent/dissatisfying acting performances, poorly planned overall plot/continuity, lack of development, etc. None of them feel like they're weaving together any long-term payoff. They set pieces in place, then walk away from them forever. Or they don't set the table in the first place. It's not the same caliber of storytelling.

Of course, if you put it like that, Gotham isn't "great". It is entertaining as hell (well, to me) though and, that's all that counts. I don't need every show to be The Sopranos.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

Well part of the problem is the network TV format of 22 episodes.It dilutes the product and writers are forced to make filler story lines/episodes.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Well part of the problem is the network TV format of 22 episodes.It dilutes the product and writers are forced to make filler story lines/episodes.

I don't think anyone is forced to make a bad story. I just think little is invested in writing/planning because the association with the Marvel and DC brands is enough to make the show profitable. Who watches Legends of Tomorrow? That show is awful. The first season of Marvel AoS was awful. It doesn't matter. The fans will tune in, and the ads will sell. "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Agree in full Kurt. It's network TV, by definition it's very hard to make good TV out of that. These shows just try and cash in on film success by offering bogus extended universe stories to lure in people obsessed with the movies. It's almost always poorly written, poorly acted, poorly funded, and sloppy in general

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The only comic book show I've enjoyed was Daredevil. Jessica Jones started great but the last four episodes to me were an unentertaining mess. I enjoyed Smallville for a while but it's later seasons were really silly.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I wish they'd just put the damn comic itself into a TV series. If they wouldn't want to start from the beginning, they could have adapted the stories from (pre-Uncanny) X-Men Annual #1 through Uncanny X-Men #225 or so, and made the more significant events into big screen productions. I personally think that model could work even better than the expanded universe thing Disney/Marvel are doing with the Avengers. You'd be talking perhaps 8 years worth of TV with at least 3 or 4 films supporting the storyline and drawing in the box office revenue.

After that, it'd be up to FOX whether to continue, since Gambit, Jubilee, and others were introduced after that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad