Proposal: Fowler for Zuccarello

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
True but the east is less physical then the west, He might get exposed more in the west where they play a more physical kind of game then in the east. Like what must Duck fans say that Anaheim plays an extremely physical brand of hockey. Not saying that Zuccarello couldn't handle it. But suggesting that he might be little less effective in Anaheim then with the Rangers that's all.

Put Zucc with Getzlaf and they would tear it up. Zucc has never played with an elite center and still produces first line points. He would be fine in the west

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Someone mentioned Vatanen for Zuccarello. That makes MUCH more sense in terms of value and position of need for the Rangers.

Vatanen just signed a long term extension, I'm fairly certain from all indications that means he is off the table for the foreseeable future.

I could really see the Rangers highly coveting Brandon Montour, he would seem to represent something they lack in their system. If the Ducks were poking around some of the Rangers top forwards (other than Nash) it would seem fairly likely that Montour's name would come up.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Put Zucc with Getzlaf and they would tear it up. Zucc has never played with an elite center and still produces first line points. He would be fine in the west

Agree if you put Zucc with some bigger forwards then he should be fine, Putting Zucc with Getzlaf he's probably easily a 70 point per year Forward. He would definitely be a major upgrade for Anaheim. Just don't see Zucc for Fowler working for the Rangers unless BM added a pretty nice sweetner there.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Wow... one guy. There is a reason that the top 14 shortest guys in the league play in the East. One exception to the rule doesn't change the rule. Feel free to throw another name at me to prove me wrong though. Top 50 shortest guys:

Gerbe - East
Grimaldi - East
Desharnais - East
Gionta - East
Gionta - East
Zucc - East
Rau - East
Sheary - East
Johnson - East
Tolchinsky - East
Byron - East
Atkinson - East
Arcobello - East
Ennis - East
Petan - West
Spurgeon - West
Warsofsky - East
Schroeder - West
O'Neill - East
Marchand - East
Cammalleri - East
Arvidsson - West
Griffith - East
Thomas - West
De Leo - West
Tootoo - East
Leipsic - East
Hinostroza - West
Hunt - West
Friesen - West
Vatrano - East
Krug - East
Gaudreau - West
Gallagher - East
Gourde - East
Catenacci - East
Marchessault - East
Haley - West
Schwartz - West
Weal - East
Palmieri - East
Trocheck - East
Pageau - East
Acciari - East
Taormina - East
Terry - East
Leier - East
Enstrom -
Bertschy -
Wideman - East

So what's there? Jaden Schwartz and Johnny Gaudreau? Gaudrea >>> Zucc. Zucc is pure speed. Gaudreau has much more skill and a much, much better shot then Zucc. Meanwhile, Schwartz really isn't that short. He's 5ft 10" and, again, has a much, much better shot then Zucc.

Another player to point out is Palms. Got absolutely mauled in the 2014-15 playoffs. Was moved out East and scored 30s this season.

Gaudreau is better no doubt but he is one of the best offensive producers in the league. Zucc isnt pure speed at all, you saying that says everything about clueless you are about his game. He is fast but saying he is pure speed is completely wrong. He is gritty, works hard as hell, great passer and scored 26 this season. Fowler isnt anything more than a top 4. Pretty bad advanced stats. Lindholm and Vatanen are both better than Fowler.

Absolutely no interest in Fowler from a NYR point of view, specially not for Zuccarello.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
True but the east is less physical then the west, He might get exposed more in the west where they play a more physical kind of game then in the east. Like what must Duck fans say that Anaheim plays an extremely physical brand of hockey. Not saying that Zuccarello couldn't handle it. But suggesting that he might be little less effective in Anaheim then with the Rangers that's all.

Looking at the top 25 for individual player hits, and top 15 for team hits, you'll find that the east actually hits more. The west players a tighter game. But, I'm not about to look up player size vs the east...

Childish Gamsteeno

Jun 24, 2015
Canada
3 years? How you come that conclusion? Oh... yeah... stat watching. I forgot.

You literally just mentioned how Fowler would have better advanced statistics if he had been playing with Shea Weber. What do you want me to bring up if you're talking about advanced stats? Their favourite colours? Pre-game meals? What their favourite shows were as a kid? C'mon man.

Fowler's a good dman. He's not a #1, he's in over his head with the workload he has in Anaheim, as you mentioned, but I don't think he's really a #2 either. He's capable of getting to that point, but I think he's at best a middle pairing guy right now

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Gaudreau is better no doubt but he is one of the best offensive producers in the league. Zucc isnt pure speed at all, you saying that says everything about clueless you are about his game. He is fast but saying he is pure speed is completely wrong. He is gritty, works hard as hell, great passer and scored 26 this season. Fowler isnt anything more than a top 4. Pretty bad advanced stats. Lindholm and Vatanen are both better than Fowler.

Absolutely no interest in Fowler from a NYR point of view, specially not for Zuccarello.

Way to ignore the majority of the thread. Fowler's advanced stats suffer from being used above his head in a #1 role alongside sub par partners. He has taken on more responsibility than both Lindholm and Vatanen, and in fact Vatanen's stats suffered when he was thrust into Fowler's role last year.

You can't sit there and say "you obviously don't watch _____" and then turn around and think your opinion based on a hero chart means squat. Hockey isn't baseball, there are variables to consider when analyzing individual stats, they can't be taken as black and white.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Fowler puts up around 30+ points per season while playing the toughest opponents. Vatanen puts up around 40 while playing the easiest

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Way to ignore the majority of the thread. Fowler's advanced stats suffer from being used above his head in a #1 role alongside sub par partners. He has taken on more responsibility than both Lindholm and Vatanen, and in fact Vatanen's stats suffered when he was thrust into Fowler's role last year.

You can't sit there and say "you obviously don't watch _____" and then turn around and think your opinion based on a hero chart means squat. Hockey isn't baseball, there are variables to consider when analyzing individual stats, they can't be taken as black and white.

Let me be sure I am understanding you correctly. You are trying to defend Fowlers advanced stats when someone calls him a top 4 dman and you are doing this by saying that he is in over his head on the top pairing (Ryan McDonagh was paired with Dan Girardi and still looked like a top pairing defenseman). Wouldn't this make Fowler a top 4 and not a top 2 dman and prove the other posters point?

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Let me be sure I am understanding you correctly. You are trying to defend Fowlers advanced stats when someone calls him a top 4 dman and you are doing this by saying that he is in over his head on the top pairing (Ryan McDonagh was paired with Dan Girardi and still looked like a top pairing defenseman). Wouldn't this make Fowler a top 4 and not a top 2 dman and prove the other posters point?

I didn't say Fowler was over his head playing on a top pairing, he's over his head leading a top pairing alongside a guy like Bieksa. We're saying he's a #2 who has been miscast as a #1, carrying a partner who doesn't belong in a top 4.

Of course Fowler (a #2 guy) is going to suffer more in that situation than McD who is a true #1 Dman.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
From a Ducks perspective I would not mind moving Vatanen for Zuccarello as well. But this is probably not to likely as he just signed a new contract.

Big difference between the two. Vatanen I'd most certainly be interested in, just not gonna happen at this point though.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Rather have Zucc, he's just the type of player that can make stuff happen out of nothing and the Rangers need more of that instead of subtracting from it.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Top 6 forward for top pairing PMD swap:

:rangers
Cam Fowler, $4m AAV to 2018

:ducks2
Mats Zuccarello, $4.5m AAV to 2019

Rangers should have the need for a somewhat cheap PMD with top pairing qualities to replace Yandle.

Ducks desperately need skilled forwards, and in that case Zuccarello is pretty versatile and can play on both wings and on PP/PK.

Like Zuccarello, but don't think he'd be a fit here. No, thanks.

mytduxfan*

Yeah, so much grit. :sarcasm: If you really think Zucc is gritty, you don't know what "gritty" really means. :shakehead

Ok, I'll admit that Zucc isn't pure speed. He's got a decent shot on him and can obviously make good passes. However, you cannot deny that most of his scoring opportunities come on the break. Most Western teams don't play like that, so he wouldn't get those opportunities over here. We play a much slower game and that's why Hagelin sucked in ANA, but does well in the East. I'd fully expect the same result if we were to bring Zucc over. Hence, I'm not interested.

Now, back to the point of that post. The simple fact is that Gaudreau is better then Zucc. He's got better hands, a better ability to find space, better passing, better vision, the list goes on. Gaudreau may even be the faster skater. So saying that Zucc will be ok in the West because of Gaudreau is totally disingenious and wishful thinking. He'd mostly flop here.

Fowler is a top pairing D-man. The fact you think Vatanen is better shows how little you watch the Ducks, if at all. Lindholm was only better for the last 3 months of the season. Regardless, Lindholm + Manson is always going to have better numbers then Fowler + Bieksa.

You literally just mentioned how Fowler would have better advanced statistics if he had been playing with Shea Weber. What do you want me to bring up if you're talking about advanced stats? Their favourite colours? Pre-game meals? What their favourite shows were as a kid? C'mon man.

Fowler's a good dman. He's not a #1, he's in over his head with the workload he has in Anaheim, as you mentioned, but I don't think he's really a #2 either. He's capable of getting to that point, but I think he's at best a middle pairing guy right now

The point was that Weber has been solid for NSH until this season. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The point I was making was that if you put Fowler with a solid #1D instead of a #6D, his numbers would improve to that of a #2D, which is exactly what he is. No one has said he's a #1D. He's a #2D being tasked with the role of a #1D all whilst partnered with a #6D. Of course his numbers look terrible. Stick him with a #1D and he'll be fine. He can play the minutes, he's very good at cleaning up dump-ins, he's very good at exiting the D-zone, he's very good at covering the break. He'd make for an excellent complimentary player to a #1D, particularly someone more offensive. Hence, I'd have liked to see him go to MTL before they moved PK.

McDonagh is a #1D doing the job a #1D with a bottom pairing D-man. Meanwhile, Fowler is a #2D doing the job of a #1D with a bottom pairing D-man. Big difference between a #1D and #2D. Hence, Fowler struggles more then McDonagh. Not that surprising really.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Zuccarello is not big but he is really fiesty guy who doesn't back down from anyone. As a ranger fan literally the last guy I would want to trade.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Fowler playing against the toughest opponents doesn't matter if they slaughter him everytime he's on the ice, no matter the competition or the teammate.

Rangers shouldn't want Fowler, he makes the defense equally as weak as if they didn't have him. Whether you care about shot suppression or not (and you should, unless you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years), that's the Rangers biggest weakness and a terrible shot/scoring chance suppressor isn't going to change that.

Then getting rid of Zucc for the same garbage defense? Jeez

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle

Yeah, so much grit. :sarcasm: If you really think Zucc is gritty, you don't know what "gritty" really means. :shakehead

Ok, I'll admit that Zucc isn't pure speed. He's got a decent shot on him and can obviously make good passes. However, you cannot deny that most of his scoring opportunities come on the break. Most Western teams don't play like that, so he wouldn't get those opportunities over here. We play a much slower game and that's why Hagelin sucked in ANA, but does well in the East. I'd fully expect the same result if we were to bring Zucc over. Hence, I'm not interested.

Now, back to the point of that post. The simple fact is that Gaudreau is better then Zucc. He's got better hands, a better ability to find space, better passing, better vision, the list goes on. Gaudreau may even be the faster skater. So saying that Zucc will be ok in the West because of Gaudreau is totally disingenious and wishful thinking. He'd mostly flop here.

Fowler is a top pairing D-man. The fact you think Vatanen is better shows how little you watch the Ducks, if at all. Lindholm was only better for the last 3 months of the season. Regardless, Lindholm + Manson is always going to have better numbers then Fowler + Bieksa.

The point was that Weber has been solid for NSH until this season. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The point I was making was that if you put Fowler with a solid #1D instead of a #6D, his numbers would improve to that of a #2D, which is exactly what he is. No one has said he's a #1D. He's a #2D being tasked with the role of a #1D all whilst partnered with a #6D. Of course his numbers look terrible. Stick him with a #1D and he'll be fine. He can play the minutes, he's very good at cleaning up dump-ins, he's very good at exiting the D-zone, he's very good at covering the break. He'd make for an excellent complimentary player to a #1D, particularly someone more offensive. Hence, I'd have liked to see him go to MTL before they moved PK.

McDonagh is a #1D doing the job a #1D with a bottom pairing D-man. Meanwhile, Fowler is a #2D doing the job of a #1D with a bottom pairing D-man. Big difference between a #1D and #2D. Hence, Fowler struggles more then McDonagh. Not that surprising really.

Good job showing a few goals to show you have no clue the type of player Zucc is.
1 He is really not that fast, he finds the soft spots and has a good hop in his first couple strides. If NYR had a team race he would be around 4th to 8th place.
2 Passing is his strong suit.
3 He is gritty, he is always starting stuff in the corners and in front of the net.

If I am trying to sell him to another GM I do not think I would even bring up his speed. He is the best passer on the Rangers. In general probably the best hands on the Rangers. Plays a really smart game at both ends of the ice.
Try watching a player before you make statements that are very very wrong.
As a Rangers fan I want nothing to do with Fowler if Zucc is going. No need for a LD.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Do not want Fowler. Thanks, no thanks. We get more for Zuc.
Think Sami V.

Can play either W.
nothing taken the wrong way, but Fowler is grossly overvalued, and Zuc to a lesser extent devalued.

As was said for better part of a year once you guys decided the need was for a W and not a C, Zuc is your man. I was willing to eat part of his reasonable 4.5 for Sami V. Sami V is now comparable $.

something around Zuc for Sami V
would consider expanding to package add Nash, add Theodore and cap dumps

We are not trading Vatanen we re-signed him and he wanted to stay on the Ducks a team he liked growing up. He is also easily are best right shooting defenseman.

We are not interested in Nash and we are not trading Theodore.

Hah, ok there buddy. Fowler will never be a top pairing dman, and he doesn't fit a need for NYR with the logjam on our left side. If you really want to improve your winger situation without giving up any wings, then it's going to be Mountour ++ for Zuccarello. NYR needs right handed puckmovers. We could even take a dump to balance out the salaries.

Your right he will never be a top pair defenseman :sarcasm: He lead our team in ice time during both the regular season and playoffs while having a crappy defense partner something he has had so much of in his career.

News flash, I was just trying to figure out something using the OP's proposal as a basis. Fowler is a middle pair dman, with terrible offensive numbers for the minutes he gets, and terrible shot suppression and generation numbers.

Lzq3P9b

QzNsEtH

Tell me again how that deal is so unfair. In fact, ANA looks to get the better end of it, so I retract my offer. Fowler is even worse than I originally thought.

Weber and Josi had terrible shot suppression stats I guess the Predators top defense pair was only good for offensive production they should of been sheltered so not exposed when facing against opposing teams scorers :popcorn:

God these advanced stats have been a terrible thing to happen to hockey people look at them and judge a player on it with little of actually watching the player play which is very important a reason why teams have scouts.

mytduxfan*

Good job showing a few goals to show you have no clue the type of player Zucc is.
1 He is really not that fast, he finds the soft spots and has a good hop in his first couple strides. If NYR had a team race he would be around 4th to 8th place.
2 Passing is his strong suit.
3 He is gritty, he is always starting stuff in the corners and in front of the net.

If I am trying to sell him to another GM I do not think I would even bring up his speed. He is the best passer on the Rangers. In general probably the best hands on the Rangers. Plays a really smart game at both ends of the ice.
Try watching a player before you make statements that are very very wrong.
As a Rangers fan I want nothing to do with Fowler if Zucc is going. No need for a LD.

1. Huh? That's not even what I meant. He's pure speed as in... most of his goals are on the break i.e. limited skill goals with quite a few being out-numbered attacks. Those videos prove that to be true. Zucc also uses his speed to pad his goal totals with empty netters. Not interested.
2. Agreed.
3. "Starting stuff in the corners" isn't grit.

Fine. We're in agreement then. You don't want Fowler and we don't want Zucc. Pleasure doing business with you.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Fowler may be underrated, but still not as good as Zuccarello.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Lol to the one saying zucc will most likely flop in the West. What a silly commet. There is 0 evidence of that but plenty that says othervice.
HFBoards is a funny place! :laugh:

mytduxfan*

Lol to the one saying zucc will most likely flop in the West. What a silly commet. There is 0 evidence of that but plenty that says othervice.
HFBoards is a funny place! :laugh:

Huh? He hasn't played in the West, so there is no evidence either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad