Proposal: Fowler for JVR

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Okay, the issue is I see people looking for shiny names. Some will take a mid-late first + prospect for him (which I see as his real value). In this scenario, we are losing a 60 P winger, and getting two maybe's who might never make the NHL and might never REPLACE JVR.

I personally think JVR takes a pay cut. If the team is on the up, I think most other teams will be in the same boat (So before Chicago wont eh cup, it's like choosing between them, the wings, blues, etc) (not saying we will ever be comparable to chicago just saying) and he might see potential in taking a fair deal. If he takes a 4 year deal at 6M, that's not really any different than the Sharp contract.

Believe it or not FIRST LINE players over 30 are a valuable asset to teams. You must realize, as our stars age, they help our new stars ease into the NHL. This is the system we are building.

Yep, that's the counter argument. I'm just pointing out that the trade-argument isn't so unbelievably far fetched either.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I would strongly consider this. Rielly and Fowler would be a fantastic shutdown pairing that can move the puck up the ice well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lol, why are we taking on Stoner to deal a 60 point winger for a second pairing d-man?

We don't want Fowler.

Stop.

(And yes, I know it was a Leaf Fan who posted this)

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Why would it? There weren't many defensemen on the FA market, and more teams looking for one struck out than addressed their needs in that regard sufficiently.

Question. What teams are looking for a left hand defenceman?

Because everyone should realize at this point Ken Holland isn't giving up anything in a trade

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Because half our board is obsessed with moving anyone over 25 for someone in that age range, and/or trades are exciting and some of them would rather lose a trade if it meant we got to see one happen... Only for when it does happen they ***** and complain.

We're not moving JVR. Management said they want size and grit, every move they've made points to this being their direction right now ont op of the skill players... Why would they contradict all of this and trade a 1) TOP LINE F with size and 2) Our BEST LW which is our weakest position.

Alright, settle down. The real reason (and only) anyone considers a JVR trade now is because his value as a player to a contender may never exceed what it is right now - a 30/30 1LW with 2 years left at a fantastic salary. The argument is that in 2 years he will be 29 and wanting a long-term deal, and thus his value will be far lower. So the question has always been, are we maximizing our time with JVR? The answer is yes if you believe we are contending in the next 2 years. If it's no, then you get why fans entertain trading him now.

Ok thanks, I was just curious what the motivations were.

onlygotmygrade10

Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
Value is ok straight up for Fowler but I don't understand the desire to trade jvr so much. The second he's traded there will be threads here for the leafs to trade for a big jvr-like winger. His skillset is unique to the team and trading him just opens another hole. His game in front of the net isn't going to be affected by age so if they are competing in 2 years, 5 years, he will have a use.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
A consistent 25-30 goal scorer is going to take a pay cut on their 4.25 mil contract on their first shot as a UFA? JVR is going to get paid and he'll have earned it.

Pay cut as to his value in the open market, not his current deal. No doubt he could get 7M with term from someone looking for his type of player. I think he takes 6x6 from the leafs.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
lol, why are we taking on Stoner to deal a 60 point winger for a second pairing d-man?

We don't want Fowler.

Stop.

(And yes, I know it was a Leaf Fan who posted this)

JVR hit 60 once in his career. Also a top 6 forward for a top 4 defencemen is pretty fair value. Idk how bad stoner but I'd definitely say that JVR and Fowler is a decent 1 for 1

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
JVR hit 60 once in his career. Also a top 6 forward for a top 4 defencemen is pretty fair value. Idk how bad stoner but I'd definitely say that JVR and Fowler is a decent 1 for 1

He had 61, 56 points, and 29 points in 40 games on pace for another 30/30 season. He is a first line winger. A top 3 guy so gtfo.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He had 61, 56 points, and 29 points in 40 games on pace for another 30/30 season. He is a first line winger. A top 3 guy so gtfo.
weird I only see 1 60 there :popcorn:

To the guy saying we don't want Fowler, we don't want jvr wed much prefer the Redwing type deals so maybe get your fan base to stop asking for Fowler Vatanen and lindholm if they don't want to pay.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I'm one that thinks JVR is overrated, but Fowler IMO is overrated as well. He's not a D I would target for our D corp. I would much rather keep JVR.

Rielly - xxx <-- (Stralman/Muzzin/Tanev type of elite defensive D)
Gardiner - Zaistev

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Eww, no. Fowler is the least attractive of the Ducks' young D and JVR the Leafs' most valuable (available) trade chip. Throwing in the boat anchor that is Stoner turns this into a hell no.

I'd love to see your argument for Simon Despres being better than Fowler.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

For starters, why dont you calm down and relax. You're coming across like youre 5 years old...

Being a 60 point player is indicative of reaching that mark, no? JVR hit it once, I dont care if he was on pace for 60 points for half of the season. IF hes healthy for the entire year, he's good for around 25-25 to 30-30. For the record I'm a leaf fan, I just dont think JVR for Fowler is a ridiculous idea or "massive overpayment" by the leafs. Our defence is still awful. At least our forward group is shaping up nicely

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Anaheim's defence without Fowler (and heck, even Stoner) would be one of the worst in the NHL.

Despres is a trainwreck post concussion. Bieksa is....Bieksa, and that's not positive in any way. Vatanen is at best a #3 on a contender. Manson is a #4/5 on a good team. Theo is on the rise, but still not more than a #4. Holzer (is he even signed?) is a #7 on a contender.

Left is Lindholm who's a rising star and probably/hopefully a #1 the upcoming season. But he's only 22 and as all youngsters he'll have his ups and downs.

Anaheim needs to get rid of Fowler as much as I need to get rid of my gf.

Well, that's probably not the best comparison. Losing Fowler would be A LOT worse!

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Pay cut as to his value in the open market, not his current deal. No doubt he could get 7M with term from someone looking for his type of player. I think he takes 6x6 from the leafs.

That makes more sense. I am in the 'trade JVR for a young RD' camp, but I wouldn't find that disagreeable.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I'd love to see your argument for Simon Despres being better than Fowler.
"advanced" analytics
:laugh:

As a Ducks fan, I'd prefer not to move Fowler if at all possible but this is a good deal for us. Not sure Toronto takes it but we do address a hole in our top 6 as well as clearing 2M in cap with the Stoner-Hunwick swap. We'd definitely have to add to make Toronto talk but I'd definitely take it if Fowler absolutely had to go.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
"advanced" analytics
:laugh:

As a Ducks fan, I'd prefer not to move Fowler if at all possible but this is a good deal for us. Not sure Toronto takes it but we do address a hole in our top 6 as well as clearing 2M in cap with the Stoner-Hunwick swap. We'd definitely have to add to make Toronto talk but I'd definitely take it if Fowler absolutely had to go.

Advanced analytics show that Jeff Petry is better defensively than Shea Weber if you feel like ignoring context as most fancy stat lovers do.

CmYpLr6WAAAlKSY.jpg:large

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anaheim's defence without Fowler (and heck, even Stoner) would be one of the worst in the NHL.

Despres is a trainwreck post concussion. Bieksa is....Bieksa, and that's not positive in any way. Vatanen is at best a #3 on a contender. Manson is a #4/5 on a good team. Theo is on the rise, but still not more than a #4. Holzer (is he even signed?) is a #7 on a contender.

Left is Lindholm who's a rising star and probably/hopefully a #1 the upcoming season. But he's only 22 and as all youngsters he'll have his ups and downs.

Anaheim needs to get rid of Fowler as much as I need to get rid of my gf.

Well, that's probably not the best comparison. Losing Fowler would be A LOT worse!

I would've preferred to have traded Vatanen and switch him out for the cheaper expansion proof Theodore. But Murray thinks Sami is a cornerstone piece so here we are. We can protect Fowler but we're gonna lose a good forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad