Proposal: Fowler for JVR

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
To Anaheim: JVR, Hunwick
To Toronto: Fowler, Stoner

Anaheim gets the big LW they need after losing both Perron and Mcginn
to UFA, and striking out on just about everyone available. Toronto gets a guy that can join Rielly,Gardiner and Zaitsev in the leafs top 4.
Anaheim also gets a serviceable bottom pairing dman on an expiring contract and dumps off a bottom pairing guy that is overpaid and has 2 years left.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Rather target someone cheaper. But damn, if you include Stoner? Hmm...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk that we'd need a dmen back, I assume that is more of a cap dump?

Close tho, I'd try to avoid bringing hunwick over, granted his contract does expire so not so bad.... I'd prob take the trade.

Granted I still consider the Detroit proposals better value for us

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
Renaud Lavioe was on WGR in Buffalo, yesterday. He said he still thinks Fowler to Buffalo happens. The asking price is probably just going to get lower as we go through the off-season.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Idk that we'd need a dmen back, I assume that is more of a cap dump?

Close tho, I'd try to avoid bringing hunwick over, granted his contract does expire so not so bad.... I'd prob take the trade.

Granted I still consider the Detroit proposals better value for us

Hunwick's a decent 5-6 dman on a good contract, but if you don't need a cheap dman coming back he can be removed from the proposal

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
As a Leafs fan I'm hesitant to trade JVR away just as we've started to assemble some potential talent for him to play with.

That said, adding Fowler would help shore up our defence, which is out biggest need.

I'm so conflicted, which probably means it's a pretty good proposal!

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Eww, no. Fowler is the least attractive of the Ducks' young D and JVR the Leafs' most valuable (available) trade chip. Throwing in the boat anchor that is Stoner turns this into a hell no.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Renaud Lavioe was on WGR in Buffalo, yesterday. He said he still thinks Fowler to Buffalo happens. The asking price is probably just going to get lower as we go through the off-season.
Why would it? There weren't many defensemen on the FA market, and more teams looking for one struck out than addressed their needs in that regard sufficiently.

Not a bad proposal.
Indeed. Kudos, Halla.

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015
To Anaheim: JVR, Hunwick
To Toronto: Fowler, Stoner

Anaheim gets the big LW they need after losing both Perron and Mcginn
to UFA, and striking out on just about everyone available. Toronto gets a guy that can join Rielly,Gardiner and Zaitsev in the leafs top 4.
Anaheim also gets a serviceable bottom pairing dman on an expiring contract and dumps off a bottom pairing guy that is overpaid and has 2 years left.

I wouldn't trade JVR for Fowler straight up. Don't see a fit here.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Why are Leaf fans trying to trade JVR all the time when their offense is pathetic. Going for another tank year to get another high pick?

Henchmen 21

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Didn't JVR's NTC kick in yesterday? not saying he wouldn't necessarily waive to go to anaheim, but if either team was truly interested in going down this trade avenue the logical time to do it wouldve been 3 days ago. Maybe this had to be a post July 1st trade, but it's another hurdle that needs to be cleared.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why are Leaf fans trying to trade JVR all the time when their offense is pathetic. Going for another tank year to get another high pick?

Because half our board is obsessed with moving anyone over 25 for someone in that age range, and/or trades are exciting and some of them would rather lose a trade if it meant we got to see one happen... Only for when it does happen they ***** and complain.

We're not moving JVR. Management said they want size and grit, every move they've made points to this being their direction right now ont op of the skill players... Why would they contradict all of this and trade a 1) TOP LINE F with size and 2) Our BEST LW which is our weakest position.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Because half our board is obsessed with moving anyone over 25 for someone in that age range, and/or trades are exciting and some of them would rather lose a trade if it meant we got to see one happen... Only for when it does happen they ***** and complain.

We're not moving JVR. Management said they want size and grit, every move they've made points to this being their direction right now ont op of the skill players... Why would they contradict all of this and trade a 1) TOP LINE F with size and 2) Our BEST LW which is our weakest position.

Alright, settle down. The real reason (and only) anyone considers a JVR trade now is because his value as a player to a contender may never exceed what it is right now - a 30/30 1LW with 2 years left at a fantastic salary. The argument is that in 2 years he will be 29 and wanting a long-term deal, and thus his value will be far lower. So the question has always been, are we maximizing our time with JVR? The answer is yes if you believe we are contending in the next 2 years. If it's no, then you get why fans entertain trading him now.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Eww, no. Fowler is the least attractive of the Ducks' young D and JVR the Leafs' most valuable (available) trade chip. Throwing in the boat anchor that is Stoner turns this into a hell no.

Fowler is both better than Vatanen and younger. Don't see what justifies this comment

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Note To Leafs fans trying to trade JVR: His NTC kicked in yesterday. Now accept less value if you want him off your team.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Note To Leafs fans trying to trade JVR: His NTC kicked in yesterday. Now accept less value if you want him off your team.

We don't want him off the team. We feel the assets acquired for him would be more beneficial in 3-5 years than he is now. Why would a limited NTC have any significant effect on value?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Alright, settle down. The real reason (and only) anyone considers a JVR trade now is because his value as a player to a contender may never exceed what it is right now - a 30/30 1LW with 2 years left at a fantastic salary. The argument is that in 2 years he will be 29 and wanting a long-term deal, and thus his value will be far lower. So the question has always been, are we maximizing our time with JVR? The answer is yes if you believe we are contending in the next 2 years. If it's no, then you get why fans entertain trading him now.

Okay, the issue is I see people looking for shiny names. Some will take a mid-late first + prospect for him (which I see as his real value). In this scenario, we are losing a 60 P winger, and getting two maybe's who might never make the NHL and might never REPLACE JVR.

I personally think JVR takes a pay cut. If the team is on the up, I think most other teams will be in the same boat (So before Chicago wont eh cup, it's like choosing between them, the wings, blues, etc) (not saying we will ever be comparable to chicago just saying) and he might see potential in taking a fair deal. If he takes a 4 year deal at 6M, that's not really any different than the Sharp contract.

Believe it or not FIRST LINE players over 30 are a valuable asset to teams. You must realize, as our stars age, they help our new stars ease into the NHL. This is the system we are building.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Okay, the issue is I see people looking for shiny names. Some will take a mid-late first + prospect for him (which I see as his real value). In this scenario, we are losing a 60 P winger, and getting two maybe's who might never make the NHL and might never REPLACE JVR.

I personally think JVR takes a pay cut. If the team is on the up, I think most other teams will be in the same boat (So before Chicago wont eh cup, it's like choosing between them, the wings, blues, etc) (not saying we will ever be comparable to chicago just saying) and he might see potential in taking a fair deal. If he takes a 4 year deal at 6M, that's not really any different than the Sharp contract.

Believe it or not FIRST LINE players over 30 are a valuable asset to teams. You must realize, as our stars age, they help our new stars ease into the NHL. This is the system we are building.

A consistent 25-30 goal scorer is going to take a pay cut on their 4.25 mil contract on their first shot as a UFA? JVR is going to get paid and he'll have earned it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->