Post-Game Talk: Fourteen. Pens/Jets Plus-Minus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Has anybody really thought about Cooke - Sutter - Iginla? Iggy's been going against top defense his entire NHL career. Instead of using him to bolster two extremely potent lines, why not try to put him in a position to feast on inferior competition?

That's pretty naughty but I'd be more open to it if he was a few years younger. Sutter is a decent two way center but I don't think it's enough to maximize Iginla and I don't think he's creating a ton of offense by himself at this age (his season so far kinda proves that).

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Has anybody really thought about Cooke - Sutter - Iginla? Iggy's been going against top defense his entire NHL career. Instead of using him to bolster two extremely potent lines, why not try to put him in a position to feast on inferior competition?

Sure, Shero mentioned that possibility yesterday. It is possible.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd take him over Despres atm.

Going forward, obviously not, but Despres HAS had some glaring turnovers, despite making up for it with some dazzling offensive play.

But in the playoffs I'd rather have Eaton.

I watched Eaton have a glaring turnover that resulted in a breakaway against last night. He makes mistakes too

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
The only thing keeping Glass in the lineup is that he is on the PK.

But he doesn't have to be on the PK, and he really isn't that good on the PK, and I think Vitale, Bennett, Jeffery, and even TK would be better on the PK than him.

Also, even though he only plays not even 9 minutes even strength per game, guess who has the worst +/- on the Pens?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
But he doesn't have to be on the PK, and he really isn't that good on the PK, and I think Vitale, Bennett, Jeffery, and even TK would be better on the PK than him.

Also, even though he only plays not even 9 minutes even strength per game, guess who has the worst +/- on the Pens?

Really? I mean MAYBE Vitale, but overall I think this gets filed under the "Everyone assumes anyone can PK" file.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Just getting to watch the game now (it's 3-0 Pens at this point lol) and felt the need to chime in.

Morrow – Amazing job lifting the defenders stick just as Neal was passing the puck across the crease on Geno’s goal in the 1st period. I'm sure you guys caught this but I had to comment on it as it really made that play happen.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Line – Yeah they’re pretty good together haha. Their passing was incredible in the first period and a half so far.

Murray – As good as advertised. Smart positionally, a beast physically, and was pretty solid passing and shooting from the point.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

If Bylsma refuses to put Iginla with Crosby then i suppose Iginla could be a great boost for that line. Perhaps it can "rejuvinate" him to being a physical beast again like his younger years.

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
Per Dave Molinari:
Bylsma says Martin has injury and is still being evaluated.

Pittsburgh Penguins:
Paul Martin has an upper-body injury, per coach Bylsama.

:(

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
Really? I mean MAYBE Vitale, but overall I think this gets filed under the "Everyone assumes anyone can PK" file.

I beg you just to watch him on the PK in the next game (please I hope he doesn't play), but If he plays watch him kind of stand around, not move his stick, be out of poistion, make bad clearing attempts, pass the puck to the other team (he actually had an assist this year - It was on the Giroux goal last game against Philly (on the ****ing PK). Yes he might block a shot and have a weak hit or two - big ****ing deal.

Why don't I want him playing - Because this team is being setup to be a GREAT team. I want it to be the BEST team it can be with the pieces we actually have and can use.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think someone needs to make a "GOAT team?" thread. This team is awfully close. Right now for my money, this team and the 80s oilers neck in neck.

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa

I'm sorry, I just have to respond again. I understand everyone can not play PK, but what I do know is everyone else on the Pens right now can play better than him and I believe even on the PK everyone else could contribute more than him now. That is how bad HE is.

My point is not that anyone can play PK, but ANYONE but HIM would be BETTER on the PK.

Crosby indicated Morrow was playing the PK in the Olympics (maybe he would be our best other option).

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think someone needs to make a "GOAT team?" thread. This team is awfully close. Right now for my money, this team and the 80s oilers neck in neck.

are you kidding? We're not even the best team in the NHL right now. Yea, the team has been winning a lot of games, but they beat a lot of bad teams. I think their forwards, if it all works out, makes them one of the deepest post-lockout teams, but we have ONE superstar Dman and he's injured. Martin is borderline. The rest of our Dmen, as of now, are more role players imo.

I don't mean that insultingly. Niskanen, for example, is really good. But he's not tilting series the way a healthy Kristopher Letang is.

Things on paper or in NHL13 (i'm not saying you did this. Hell, I'VE done this) are fun. But they aren't reality. Let's get Iggy in here. Let's get Letang healthy. Let's get Bennett on the big club. Let's wait for Shero to finish robbing the NHL blind. And then let's see if they can make it work over the last month of the season.

No post lockout team will come close to the 80s and 90s Islanders, Oilers, and Penguins.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

the humongous big universe is in balance right now, such a thread would irrevocably destabilize it. you wouldn't want to do that, would you?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Jeffrey is a good PK'er. Not sure about Bennett. Glass honestly isn't that good at the PK. He's willing to dive in front of anything, which is great, but that's about it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Per Dave Molinari:
Bylsma says Martin has injury and is still being evaluated.

Pittsburgh Penguins:
Paul Martin has an upper-body injury, per coach Bylsama.

:(

Of course. Martin is good therefore he gets injured. Isn't that how it works?

Marns

Jul 31, 2006
Toronto, ON
www.thestretchpass.com

:laugh: Definitely need to put this question to the fine people on the main board for confirmation.

Magic+8-ball.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

:laugh::laugh:

This team is as good as the Oilers dynasty? Let's not get carried away.

StoneColdFlower*

GOAT? We don't even have the greatest Penguins team of all time, though our goaltending is better than it was in the glory years. Fleury-Vokoun curbstomps Borasso-Wregget.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Why is Joey V scratched? We should put Iginla on his line. :D

+ Murray jokes on Twitter
+ Murray
+ Morrow confusing Byfuglien
+ Morrow
+ Ray Shero

- Iginla living in Canada

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Glass is not a good pk'r. You generally dont see 4th line players have success against more skilled players. Glass isn't being used to shutdown the other teams best players 5 on 5...I'm not sure how losing a man for 2 minutes suddenly makes him better.

He is fast and he hits. Thats it. Adams at least has a good head on his shoulders.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
He's (Glass) just not a good player. I don't think I've seen him touch the puck more than 3 times in any one game this season. It's like he's always a step or two behind the play. Just horrible hockey sense. I wish Shero would waive him already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->