FourFourTwo's 101 Best Footballers of the last 25 years

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
The image was published in a newspaper from Barcelona - therefore all the badges and former Barca players have yellow names.

8CTeMfu.jpg

Thoughts? I have some critiques/observations, myself.

1) I think a lot of Prem/English players are overrated on this list. Straight up. In that first column, Gerrard is the only one that makes sense--and I might even have him higher. I'd also remove some names entirely.

2) The ranking for defenders is kinda throwing me off. Cannavaro being 39 spots ahead of Nesta makes no sense, but whatever.

3) I don't mind the top 8, but 9-33 is giving me headaches.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Arjen Robben relative to some of the players ahead of him yikes.

Also Zidane ahead of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Maldini? Come on man (not you, but the list).

Yeah I can't really look at this list and agree with almost any of it aside from Messi and CR7 at 1 and 2.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Rooney way too high. Look at some of the names he’s above. Ridiculous.

Edit- yes, in general English/Prem players are way overrated here.

And where is Rui Costa?

Reactions: Bures Elbow

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It's pleasing to see Mauro Silva missed off a list that is such a stinking heap of effluent.

Eric Cantona at 18, when he only played three of the last 25 years?

Gazza makes this list for his performances over the period 1994-2005?

The positioning of Lilian Thuram in relation to the other centre backs makes me want to spit.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also Zidane ahead of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Maldini? Come on man (not you, but the list).
Erh, that's hardly a problem.
Ronaldo and Ronnie had a much shorter prime. Zidane was a top 3 player for something like 8 years.
Zidane won every single trophy while being the main man.

Nope, that's hardly controversial. *Some* could take Ronaldo's peak over Zidane's longetivity, but that'd be arguable. Don't think anyone takes Ronnie or a defenseman over Zidane.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Roberto Carlos will go down as one of the most overrated players in football history.
List is crap after a somewhat decent top 8.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Also, I might get a lot of flack for this and I think Giggs is a marvelous player, but I always found him to be very overrated. And I don't particularly say this due to his absurd ranking on this list. I'll include Paul Scholes, too.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I actually preferred Scholes to Gerrard and Lampard at the time and still rate him higher. If we’re talking about English players who were a part of that generation and that this list is severely overrating English players in general, I’m surprised Ashley Cole didn’t get a nod.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Scholes was not better than Gerrard but we've had this discussion before. Carrying a team to a CL trophy outweighs a lot of things. Scholes was part of the Man United machine and obviously that clouds people's judgments in rating players properly. Just look at Rooney and Cantona for proof of that.

The list as a whole is awful.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Believe me. The last thing I’d ever want to do is praise a United player over a Liverpool player. Especially when that Liverpool player is one that I’m extra emotionally bonded to.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
They both do things the other couldn't, but Gerrard's much more complete and if we were to surround them both with 10 average players, Gerrard could do more with what he was given.

I think a lot of the hype surrounding Scholes comes from the fact he's a type of player England doesn't really produce. He is super rare in that regard, but that doesn't mean he's better. The dude had serious flaws in his overall game that were hidden by Keane and the overall talent he played with. He's a genius, but you had to insulate him. Gerrard needs no protection.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad