Four years later: the Roy Olympic snub

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

Namso said:
Roy has done just as much for the goalie position as Mario Lemieux did for the forwards.

Roy has done more for goaltenders than Lemieux has done for forwards.

Lemieux is the better all-time player, but he didn't change the way his position was played nearly as much as Roy did.

Before Lemieux, it was still fashionable to be an offensive player like him.

Before Roy, however, the butterfly-style of goaltending was quite taboo, as goaltenders weren't supposed to drop to their knees to make a save.

Goaltenders would constantly get beaten along the ice with bad shots prior to Roy, because they didn't believe in butterfly-style goaltending.

Roy completely changed the way his position was played.

Sammy*

Namso said:
You're questioning how i know whether it was a fallacy or not? let me see...ROY SAID IT HIMSELF. Now you can make up ur own reasons why he didn't go to further ur hatred of him but the bottom line is that YOU HAVE TO BRING THE PROOF, not me. until then, what u say is a fallacy...btw roy isn't stupid...every paper from here to russia had him as the n.1 goalie, however roy wanted a cup more, and he made a personal decision...

What has roy done for hockey??? how about popularize the butterfly??? how about inspire hundreds of quebecer goalies including brodeur, theodore, giguere etc..??? how about carry all of Montreal on to TWO miracle stanley cups??? how about having the most wins ever??? how about all the awards???

Roy has done just as much for the goalie position as Mario Lemieux did for the forwards.
Oh., I thought you meant for hockey in the philanthropic way. My mistake that that you meant how good was he as a goalie.Yeah he was great goalie, but not a good human being.
Btw, Espo popuralized the butterfly.
Now Roy, notwithstanding he has been allegedly an abuser of women, also is a great goalie. However, he isnt a good guy, & really it its well known in hockey circles that the reason he didnt want to play was he wasnt gauranteed the #1 job for the Oly's.Very, very selfish imo.
In short,he's a great goalie, but he's a selfish ******** as well.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Ogopogo said:
Actually, we wasn't even the best goalie of his time. He was excellent but there are others that were better.

Others, as in plural? I'll understand people throwing Hasek in there, but there aren't any other goalies of that era even deserving to be mentioned with those two. Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad