Speculation: Four trades to get our 3rd Cup.....

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Guys, I've been thinking about this for a long time.... Please read my proposals and flame away. You'll hate at least one of them, but I believe they are necessary for both immediate & long term success....

Trade #1
Everybody's gunna hate this one. It involves Toffoli, a guy who can be a 40-goal scorer if the circumstances are right.....

Toffoli
Moverare

...for...

Trouba
Winnipeg's 2nd round pick in 2018
Winnipeg's 2nd round pick in 2019

REASONING: Long-term, can the Kings really afford to keep a potential 40-goal scorer around? For how long? Also, Dean's been looking for that elusive top-4, RHD since the departure of Voynov. Moverare is there to both increase the return of assets and to satisfy the Winnipeg faithful who insist, "if we're giving up a D, we should be getting a D in return". Well, there 'ya go. Perhaps most importantly, Toffoli's value will enable us to acquire those two 2nd round picks. Those assets are almost essential for the three trades that follow.....

Trade #2

McNabb
Lintuniemi
LoVerde
Clague
King's 1st round pick 2017
King's 2nd round pick 2018

...for...

Landeskog (50% retained)

REASONING: It's been said that the Avs want D in exchange for Landeskog. Why not give them four D? A guy like LoVerde, though unable to make it as an NHLer in the Kings org. might find the right opportunity in the Avs org. For evidence of this, please note Cliche and Smithson. They couldn't make it on the Kings, but found NHL homes elsewhere. Why not give LoVerde a chance with the Avs? The org. is high on Lintuniemi. Let the Avs org. be even higher, in that there'd be more opportunity on a young, rebuilding Avs team. Aside from LaDue, Clague is probably our best defenseman prospect. Let Clague be this for the Avs. And finally, McNabb...... McNabb has a skill about him. What's that skill, you might ask? McNabb hits. When McNabb hits, there's an EXCELLENT chance that the hit receiver is knocked out of the game. In short, McNabb's a world-class "damager". When he's playing for the Kings, that's never a bad thing. However, one of the whole justifications of getting the Avs to retain 50% on Landeskog is giving them so much in this deal. In short, we have to give to get, I and think offering four D (as opposed to one) will get this deal to happen.

Trade #3

Dowd
King's 2nd round pick 2017
King's 1st round pick 2018 (contingent upon Hanzal re-signing with the Kings or the Kings winning the 2017 Cup.)

...for...

Hanzal

REASONING: Given the projections of Kempe/Amadio, it's difficult to justify a long-term spot for Dowd amongst our center ranks. Remember, we've still got Shore & Lewis. The conditional 1st guarantees that if Hanzal's only a rental, then we retain that pick. Please let me know if I've offered too little here.

Trade #4
LoL, you guys might hate this one, too!

Andreoff
Purcell
Rights to Prokhorkin
Winnipeg's 2nd round pick 2019
King's 3rd round pick 2018

...for...

Evander Kane (50% retained)

REASONING: It's said that Teddy Purcell has trade value. It's said that, come the TDL ("trade deadline"), playoff-bound teams will be in search of "extra, 3rd line scoring". Blah blah blah, we've heard it all before. GREAT! Let Buffalo reap the benefit of what comes from trading Purcell at the TDL. They might get as high as a 3rd or 4th for Purcell. Prokhorkin....... I'm sick of my brain always returning to thoughts of "when will this guy decide to play in North America....?" Let Buffalo deal with that situation. I don't think Buffalo does this deal without a 2nd involved, though I don't believe that Kane justifies parting with a 1st, given alleged "cancer in the locker room" allegations. Andreoff will see more ice time in Buffalo, and the inclusion of himself and the 3rd are for the benefit of receiving Kane @ 50% retention.

***OTHER ASSETS: Other things we have to make the above deals happen might include prospects like Spencer Watson, Austin Wager, and (gasp!) Micheal Mersch (that's a worse-case scenario, though). There's still the other Winnipeg 2nd as well as the rights to Dominik Kubalik, who might actually want to play in North America next year.

Aftermath:

For the play-off run, we look like this.....

Landeskog / Kopitar / Gaborik
Pearson / Carter / Kane
King / Hanzal / Brown
Clifford / Shore / Lewis

Noland & Seto

Forbort / Doughty
Muzzin / Trouba
Martinez / LaDue

Gravel

Expansion Draft:

After the playoffs, Dean will have to make a decision about E. Kane. Is this guy really the locker-room cancer that everyone claims? Well, if so, then there's a solution....

Trade #5

To: Las Vegas Knights

Evander Kane

To: Los Angeles Kings

Future Considerations

What, pray tell, are these "future considerations" that go along with getting goal-scoring Evander Kane for at least one season @ 50% retained salary? Easy! The Vegas Knights must take Dustin Brown in the 2017 expansion draft! :handclap:

2017-2018, the Kings roll with.....

Landeskog / Kopitar / Gaborik
Pearson / Carter / Brodzinski
King / (Hanzal or Kempe or Amadio) / Lewis
Clifford / Shore / Nolan

Forbort / Doughty
Muzzin / Trouba
Martinez / LaDue

Quick
Budaj

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yes, I'm sure the rest of the NHL is willing to bend over backwards to aid the Kings towards a third Stanley Cup.

I'm also positive the NHL will also remove the salary cap to make this work, and they'll only do it for the Kings.

I don't even think the crappy EA Sports trade logic would accept these ludicrous trade proposals. At least try to think rationally and view this from the other team's perspective. This is really nonsensical.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
BTW, I'm no genius, but the deals I have in place would leave us with about $10 million in cap space next year. Is that really a bad thing? :naughty:

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I'm also positive the NHL will also remove the salary cap to make this work, and they'll only do it for the Kings.

I respectfully disagree. I think my math on the salary cap stuff is sufficient to make it work. We've currently got about $6 million to work with. And with Landeskog & Kane both @ 50% retention, and with Toffoli ($3.25m) and McNabb ($1.7m) going the other way, I really don't see the conflict. Could you please be more specific? Hanzal & Trouba are on cheap, cheap contracts.... and over half of what they're owed is off the books for this year, so.....

I don't even think the crappy EA Sports trade logic would accept these ludicrous trade proposals. At least try to think rationally and view this from the other team's perspective. This is really nonsensical.

If you have the time, could you please be more specific? Thanks!!!

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
On some of your proposals we'll have to thrown in some lubricant as well, just to ease our trading partner's pain.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Just to be clear, you gave away potentially 14 players for 4, two of which are signed to two years or less. Also, our top 6 now has 5 LH players and only one RH.

I don't think any of these trades are realistic

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
The Kings should get try to get Slava Voynov back in the NHL. The guy is a major asset for this team, they might get a 1st round pick for him. He has some baggage, but they could trade him to a team in the eastern conference. He's a right handed top 2 defense men in the NHL, they also might be able to bring him back to the team. 2 years is long enough for him to be suspended. I think he probably learned his lesson, i don't think the Kings should release him. Get something for him.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
If you are brave enough, try suggesting it to the main board. Just have your shield ready for cover.

LoL, are you saying my math isn't wrong, afterall? :amazed:

I'm surprised here. I really did expect more from a self-proclaimed "Master Debater" than "try suggesting it to the main board". It seems like you're giving up before even starting! ;)

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Also, our top 6 now has 5 LH players and only one RH.

I'll be honest with you, handedness of the forwards was never anything I considered. Handedness of the D, well, MANY people make a big thing outta that, so that's something I considered. But I've never considered forward handedness until you brought it up right now...... FIRE ME! :laugh:

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
If the Jets did your trade number 1, their fans would burn the MTS Center down. Two second round picks and a 2-4 defenseman playing 24 minutes a night (over 30 last night) with 21 points in 39 games for a forward with 20 points in 32 games and an unproven junior player? The Jets already have a glut of really good young forwards; Toffoli would add nothing to the mix. Mind you, Trouba would likely appreciate the trade. Jets won't move him for next to nothing at this point; next year might be a different story if they're as inconsistent and ****** as they've been this year so far.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, at least you reasoned it out, I'll give you that, and it's certainly an all-in job saving/ending type set of desperation trades for DL.

Trade 1 isn't horrible and considers that we're bringing back picks for futures, but trading Toffoli is banking a lot on Brodz, praying he can be a 30 goal scorer. Trouba fills a need for sure, but this doesn't account for Winnipeg's needs. Hint: it's not more offense. Young LHD for them.

Trade 2 is bad, no offense. On our hand, it's a lot for Landeskog; on the Avs, it's not enough. Lots of quantity and futures, and maybe the picks and Clague entice them, but the rest is a handful of prayers. On our side, it guts our defensive system. They can get a higher-end prospect/picks/players for Landeskog imo.

Trade 3 I'd have no qualms with giving up Dowd for Hanzal if he were signed but as a rental it's tough and adding a 1st AND a 2nd is probably fair value for Arizona but brutal for us long-term. Add that he's only gonna play half of the total games due to injury and he's a bad value. Someone will be very happy (MTL?) to have him as a rental this year, and someone will be very sad to sign him and have to rely on his injury-prone ass next year. Amazing defensive 3C though.

Trade 4 is just crap all around for the Sabres, they're not THAT eager to get rid of Kane AND retain.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If the Jets did your trade number 1, their fans would burn the MTS Center down. Two second round picks and a 2-4 defenseman playing 24 minutes a night (over 30 last night) with 21 points in 39 games for a forward with 20 points in 32 games and an unproven junior player? The Jets already have a glut of really good young forwards; Toffoli would add nothing to the mix. Mind you, Trouba would likely appreciate the trade. Jets won't move him for next to nothing at this point; next year might be a different story if they're as inconsistent and ****** as they've been this year so far.

yeah, that's a slightly reductive evaluation of Toffoli, you can make your point easily without being disingenuous :laugh:

Why don't you sling us Josh Morrisey, since he's a bum scoring at a 19 point pace and Tyler Myers who only has 5 points :sarcasm:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Trade #1
Everybody's gunna hate this one. It involves Toffoli, a guy who can be a 40-goal scorer if the circumstances are right.....

Toffoli
Moverare

...for...

Trouba
Winnipeg's 2nd round pick in 2018
Winnipeg's 2nd round pick in 2019

Winnipeg was adamant that they would need an equivalent LHD if they were moving Trouba and I don't think I'm going on a limb by saying Moverare doesn't fit the bill. The Jets have a ton of offensive depth, especially with Wheeler/Laine at RW albeit Laine has played LW. But swapping out a D for another winger seems unlikely from a Winnpeg perspective.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I don't like any of them to be honest. Trading off our first rounder this year and next seems like a great idea for an aging team struggling with cap.:dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Just way too many assets moving. The Kings need to stock pile them from here on out.

Unless a sure fire Hockey deal comes along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad