Value of: Four Penguins Moves (CAR, MTL, OTT, TOR.)

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Trades:

Patric Hornqvist to CAR for Hadyn Fleury (RFA rights)

Olli Maatta to MON for Artturi Lehkonen (RFA rights)

Jack Johnson + Penguins 2020 1st Round Pick to OTT for OTT 2020 6th round pick

Tristan Jarry to TOR for Connor Brown

Leaves Penguins with $14,450,000M in cap space with a lineup of

Guentzel-Crosby-Brown
McCann-Malkin-Kessel
Lehkonen-Bjustad-Rust
Simon-X (Blueger)-X (ZAR)

Dumoulin-Letang
X (Pettersson)-Schultz
X (Fleury)-Gudbranson
X (Riikola)

Murray
DeSmith

Sign the RFAs to plug the Xs, and we should still have around say, 5M in cap space we could use for a forward and bump ZAR/Simon to the bench.

Notable RFAs include Aston-Reese, Teddy Blueger, Adam Johnson, Artturi Lehkonen, Marcus Pettersson, Russo Riikola, and Hadyn Fleury.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
No thanks on the Lehkonen/Maata swap but I would be interested in a cap dump trade like the one with Ottawa

Maatta certainly has some value on the market, he won't be a cap dump. Penguins don't really have too many more assets to be ridding away of any other bad contracts.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Maatta certainly has some value on the market, he won't be a cap dump. Penguins don't really have too many more assets to be ridding away of any other bad contracts.
he no means he would do the cap dumb trade you did for ottawa but with Montreal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Trades:

Guentzel-Crosby-Brown
McCann-Malkin-Kessel
Lehkonen-Bjustad-Rust

Dumoulin-Letang
X (Pettersson)-Schultz
X (Fleury)-Gudbranson
X (Riikola)

Murray
DeSmith

Sign the RFAs to plug the Xs, and we should still have around say, 5M in cap space we could use for a forward and bump ZAR/Simon to the bench.

Notable RFAs include Aston-Reese, Teddy Blueger, Adam Johnson, Artturi Lehkonen, Marcus Pettersson, Russo Riikola, and Hadyn Fleury.

1) Canes, a budget team, likely isn't taking on that much salary for Hornqvist, who has had injuries the last 3 years, will be 33 in January, for 4 more years.
2) Hornqvist has a NTC (I believe a full NTC until 2021 where it becomes modified, no?)
3) Canes aren't likely to help out a division rival get out of their problems.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Fleury has more value, just that given the rest of the stuff, I don't see the Canes doing it.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Trades:

Guentzel-Crosby-Brown
McCann-Malkin-Kessel
Lehkonen-Bjustad-Rust

Dumoulin-Letang
X (Pettersson)-Schultz
X (Fleury)-Gudbranson
X (Riikola)

Murray
DeSmith

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Trades:

Guentzel-Crosby-Brown
McCann-Malkin-Kessel
Lehkonen-Bjustad-Rust

Dumoulin-Letang
X (Pettersson)-Schultz
X (Fleury)-Gudbranson
X (Riikola)

Murray
DeSmith

bergevin and julien love lehkonen, that's why he played 1/3 of the year with domi. this proposal wouldn't move needle enough for habs to do it

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa already has a group of very promising LD, Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, and Lajoie. Taking Johnson for 4 years wouldn’t be beneficial.

You're getting a 1st though. We're going nowhere next year, so that doesn't matter, the year after...is admittedly a problem. So enticing with a 1st attached...

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
1.How bad does JJ suck.

2.Can the guy play the right side - and if the answer to 1. is that he sucks very badly, would moving him to the right side theoretically make him worse? Could it make him worse?

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
1.How bad does JJ suck.

2.Can the guy play the right side - and if the answer to 1. is that he sucks very badly, would moving him to the right side theoretically make him worse? Could it make him worse?
He is 32 and signed to 4more years at $3 million. If u could be guaranteed to be able to move him at the TDL, then ok. Yes the 1st is intriguing.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Hard no on the Montreal one. Zero interest in D that can't skate well.

I'm not a big fan of Haydn Fleury, so I don't think that trade is good for Pittsburgh.

I think eating Jack Johnson's contract for another 4 years might be worth more than a first, but the bigger issue is that Ottawa is taking on a lot of real money without any going the other way, which is probably a no go for Melnyk.

Jarry for Brown seems fine.

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The only trade that could work is Jarry to the Leafs. I can’t see the other teams willingness to take on such a large Cap Dump.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Didn’t Maatta win a recent poll on the penguins board for the teams worst defenseman, and wasn’t he scratched from a weak blue line for the most important games of the season?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Montreal deal is reasonable. The Carolina deal is kinda crappy, but not horrendous. That Ottawa deal is downright horrendous, dear lord no. I'd sooner buy out Johnson if the Penguins were dead set on getting rid of him, that's an insane price to pay to get rid of Johnson. Toronto wouldn't do that last deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didn’t Maatta win a recent poll on the penguins board for the teams worst defenseman,

I believe that poll was interpreted as worse relative to expectations. That's why Maatta won the poll. It's also pretty faulty to take the hivemind of what HFBoards thinks as realistic when it comes to player evaluation.

and wasn’t he scratched from a weak blue line for the most important games of the season?

The Penguins aren't weak on top-4 LD with Dumoulin and Pettersson and Sullivan loves Johnson. It's not hard to figure out why Maatta was scratched, he just didn't have a spot. With that being said, he did have a horrendous game 1.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The Montreal deal is reasonable. The Carolina deal is kinda crappy, but not horrendous. That Ottawa deal is downright horrendous, dear lord no. I'd sooner buy out Johnson if the Penguins were dead set on getting rid of him, that's an insane price to pay to get rid of Johnson. Toronto wouldn't do that last deal.

Jarry's better than sparks and cheaper.

It saves the Leafs a million

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Didn’t Maatta win a recent poll on the penguins board for the teams worst defenseman, and wasn’t he scratched from a weak blue line for the most important games of the season?

He's an atrocious fit for the system the Penguins play and the team outright needs to move him because it's become a bad situation for both sides. Määttä has been an awkward fit with Sullivan's system from the start, but it kept working somehow those first couple years...but now that the team has too many defensemen making similar money it just makes too much sense not to trade the awkward fit.

I still think Olli Määttä is a solid #4 as long as he's not in a system based on the breakout. When the play is in front of him he's generally very good...but the Pens system is heavy on defensemen pinching, which can result in footraces that he just can't win.

He also was coming back from an injury right before the playoffs started, which certainly didn't help things.

Määttä strikes me as one of those guys that GMs and coaches value significantly higher than fans do. The good stuff in his game is generally pretty simple and unappreciated in its banality, but his negatives have a tendency to get him on the wrong side of highlight reel plays. He certainly won't fetch anything major in a trade, but he also definitely isn't a dump.

Reactions: Tweed and Trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad