z7sHEeV.jpg

The rest are here in this album.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
very cool... Never knew hockey games were played on HBO lol

I have a few media guides from the late 70's somewhere

That French connection page in my avatar is an old Buffalo News page I also have

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Did Don Luce have a one of kind helmet ? Don't remember seeing any other players with that helmet

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
I like the 5.25% interest rate on the savings account.

I wish they would do these calenders again. I got them every year. I wish I saved them.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Didn't Wendt's milk used to do Sabres calendars in the late 70's through early '80's?

You could get them at Tops. Maybe cost $9.99. They always sold out. They were 8.5" x 11", had a team photo on the front or back, monthly pages, with the Sabres home and road schedules noted on the days. A different Sabre was featured for each monthly photo, in a game-action setting. The card stock was thick, high gloss, with texture.

===
IIRC, Don Luce wore a very dome-like helmet, akin to the one Gare wore. Craig Ramsay's was boxier, I think. More square in front.

Several Sabres didn't wear helmets until Rick Martin had seizures / convulsions after hitting his head on the ice in the corner during in-game-play. Perreault started wearing a helmet after that. However, I'm pretty sure Luce was wearing one by then.

I don't know when it became common for players to wear helmets in practice, but it was very rare for Sabre players who wore helmets in games to wear them in practice in the '70s and early '80s.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad