Found Old Daoust 501's - still good to go?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Hi folks. I'm getting back into hockey after a 10 year hiatus. I found my dad's old Daoust 501's in the attic - pretty good condition, I think he probably skated in them less than 10x and never played hockey in them. But I think he bought them in '93 or '94, as in 16-17 years ago.

They feel alright when I've taken them out a couple times just skating, but wanted to ask if anyone saw any issues on the horizon. How long are these things going to hold me up? Should I just spring for a new pair and keep these for the nostalgia?

StrykerB

Jan 3, 2008
They were actually a decent skate back then. But if you're going to play in a league, the newer skates have come a long way in boot stiffness compared to that old Daoust boot. Suggest buying new if you've got the cash and you're going to get back into it.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
You do not need to break the bank to get a skate that is lighter and offers more protection. A Reebok 4K is a decent skate for the weekly beer leaguer. Other brands have an equivalnt in the same price range.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
You will notice a significant difference with newer skates, mostly in that they're lighter and stiffer, but those used to be good skates, I'm sure they'd be decent for beer league. It's not like we're talking about all leather skates with metal tube holders, these are skates with nylon quarter panels and plastic holders, just like a lot of modern skates. I recently upgraded from some ancient Bauer Supreme 2000s to Vapour X40s, the difference was significant and I definitely feel I have a bit more power and can turn a bit harder, but it's not a ridiculous difference. A noticeable performance increase, but not massive. If you have the money to spend new skates will be better (IF they fit properly), but Daoust 501s will work for beer league.

Do they actually sit you properly though? Snug all around the foot, but not causing pain, heel locked in when tightened, the right amount of volume (unlaced with the tongue pulled up the top of your foot should basically follow the profile of the boot, not sticking too far out), the right length (for most people this means toes feathering the toe cap when standing up straight, and pulling away when in a skating stance), etc. If they don't fit you well, especially if there is some slop/sliding about when you skate, then definitely invest in a new pair.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
The holders may have weakened with time in the attic. Don't be surprised if the plastic cracks or shatters. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->