Found a 1998 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

PICK 20 -- COLORADO COMMENT
Name: YEVGENY LAZAREV
Pos.: LW

What fun is it to have four first round picks and not gamble with at least one of them. Lazarev has spent more time in court trying to get the right to play Junior B hockey in Canada than he has on the ice. Lazarev is the prototypical NHL power forward whose skating needs to improve to reach NHL caliber. Because of his legal battles, Yevgeny may not be in the best shape either. If Lazarev's desire matches his physical potential, then he will be the steal of the Draft.
hehehe

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=36995

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
No Vishnevsky, Antropov, Gomez and Tanguay!

On the other hand, they had Malhotra at 3#, Abid at 9#, Peters as a first rounder (well Parker was...), Lazarev at 20# (???)...

Well done!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
What can you do when a lot of the first rounders weren't that good, the whole mock draft becomes funny.

The Canucks would have loved to see Malhotra drop one more spot. Look for new GM Brian Burke to keep Mike Keenan happy by taking drafting Allen, a big and physical blueliner.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Man there was an inordinate amount of busts in that draft, it's like the guy knew the future and was just screwing around...

Steve Moore in the 1st round?! Andrew Peters 22nd?

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
PICK 22 -- PHILADELPHIA COMMENT
Name:ANDREW PETERS
Pos.: LW

In the 1998 Prospects Challenge Game, Peters showed scouts that he is more than just an enforcer. He exhibited the raw skills that make GM's dream of him as the ideal power forward (6-4/195). It worked before in Philadelphia with Rick Tocchet and it might work again in the City of Brotherly Love with Peters.

More than just an enforcer. :D

X-SHARKIE

Fighter said:
No Vishnevsky, Antropov, Gomez and Tanguay!

On the other hand, they had Malhotra at 3#, Abid at 9#, Peters as a first rounder (well Parker was...), Lazarev at 20# (???)...

Well done!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gomez was a interesting player at the time, I remember Tanguay was an obvios 1st round pick out of Halifax, but more of a late 1st round pick if I remember correctly, The avs sure knew what they were doing there!!! But it's weird he wasn't even on the top 30.

Parker in the 1st round is a bit baffling as well.

I won't say anything bad about Malhotra at 3 because I liked him alot :shakehead

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Fighter, I can't see how you can laugh and criticize a list like this. You didn't have Gomez, Tanguay, etc. Ranked in the top 5 of players during that draft year.

PK*

Habs drafting Regehr... that would have been nice. Imagine the D-corps we would have had now if there would have been a season and for the future : Regehr, Komisarek, Markov, Souray, hopefully Hainsey and a bunch of other prospects to round it up : Korpikari, Korneev, Yemelin, O'Byrne, Flood, Shasby... Damn it would be great to have Regehr.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reign Nateo said:
Man there was an inordinate amount of busts in that draft, it's like the guy knew the future and was just screwing around...

Steve Moore in the 1st round?! Andrew Peters 22nd?

That first round was actually one of the most bust-free in recent memory. 22 of 27 guys taken were playing regularly in the NHL last year. Compare that with 15 of 26 in 1997 and 14 of 26 in 1995.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I love how everyone can jump all over these mock drafts and laugh at the predictions. That's exactly why there are real drafts and why the players play the game, to see what happens. It's called predicting. If it was an exact science it wouldn't be a prediction. When was the last time any of you went 30 for 30 on your own mock draft? Don't think to hard because it's never happened and never will.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
ha, Biron in the top 20 hahahahahahahahaha, not a chance at top 20000 in my books
:joker: :lol: :joker: :banghead:

I'd like to propose to HF that they rename the dunce smiley in honor of Biron:
:dunce: = :Biron:

He's so bad.

VanRyn should have gone much higher. Malholtra at three is funny to me. That guy has always sucked, aside from that sick goal he scored last year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
X-SHARKIE said:
I remember being a very very very angry Sharks fan when we first missed out on David Legwand. Now I would rather have Brad Stuart over him in a hearbeat, and on top of that we had Cheechoo :)

And if I had the number 2 pick in that draft, all over again, I'd still take Legwand :)

Funny that they guaranteed that Nashville would have to stay with number 3, when exactly the opposite happened.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
PanthersRule said:
ha, Biron in the top 20 hahahahahahahahaha, not a chance at top 20000 in my books
:joker: :lol: :joker: :banghead:

I'd like to propose to HF that they rename the dunce smiley in honor of Biron:
:dunce: = :Biron:

He's so bad.

VanRyn should have gone much higher. Malholtra at three is funny to me. That guy has always sucked, aside from that sick goal he scored last year.

Malhotra doesn't suck, at all. He was grossly misused for most of his career, but now that he's on a team that can give him the playing time, he's starting to shine. I wouldn't take him at 3, but I can see him as a late first rounder.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Kritty said:
I love how everyone can jump all over these mock drafts and laugh at the predictions. That's exactly why there are real drafts and why the players play the game, to see what happens. It's called predicting. If it was an exact science it wouldn't be a prediction. When was the last time any of you went 30 for 30 on your own mock draft? Don't think to hard because it's never happened and never will.

Well for me the amusement is coming more from the comments than the predictions like the Andrew Peters one that I posted. Having watched Andrew for I guess four years now I'm well aware of what his skillz set is so I'm wondering either what did he do during this '98 Prospect Challenge Game that he hasn't done since or if the writer is just nuts.

Then again Peters did go in the second round. With the LaFontaine trade pick.... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad