Forwards with low numbers...

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Love seeing the old pictures of Jean Beliveau, and he wore #4, which is unique for a forward. Was this always his number coming up through his younger years?

Off the top of my head, I cant think of any other forwards that wore #4 or lower.....can anyone else think of any forwards through the years that wore #4 or lower?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Love seeing the old pictures of Jean Beliveau, and he wore #4, which is unique for a forward. Was this always his number coming up through his younger years?

Off the top of my head, I cant think of any other forwards that wore #4 or lower.....can anyone else think of any forwards through the years that wore #4 or lower?

Aurèle Joliat was the original #4 for the Canadiens.

(Says guy with an Aurèle Joliat avatar with the mention "Original #4" right below)

Reactions: Mandar

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
In the NHL right now, Coyle wears 3 and Boeser wears 6, the only forwards below #7 I'm pretty sure.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Vinny Lecavalier wore #4. He also played Beliveau in a movie.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Not below 4 but Bobby Ryan wore number 6 when he first went to Ottawa until 9 became available.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I just like the simplicity of a hockey jersey with a single digit sown on the back. Especially prior to the names being on the jerseys. I know things change and why they have to, but still like the old looks. Simple, clean, looked good up close or from the distance, you knew the teams immediately upon seeing a photo, even BW. Now with third jerseys, rebranding, computerized stitching and piping many teams have so many variations over the years.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Wade Belak (RIP) usually wore low numbers.

5336808.jpg

images

Reactions: MadLuke

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I just like the simplicity of a hockey jersey with a single digit sown on the back. Especially prior to the names being on the jerseys. I know things change and why they have to, but still like the old looks. Simple, clean, looked good up close or from the distance, you knew the teams immediately upon seeing a photo, even BW. Now with third jerseys, rebranding, computerized stitching and piping many teams have so many variations over the years.
I agree, and it's why I wish teams wouldn't 'retire' numbers. I want to see more of today's stars wearing 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc.

I never liked the thing of players wearing their birth-year. Fortunately, we're now into the era where rookies born in 2000 are entering, so that might die...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Someone can correct me but didn`t O6 players switch to lower numbers for a better berth on the train rides?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No one has mentioned Taylor Hall #4 as an Edmonton Oiler.

Todd Bertuzzi wore #4 when he was an Anaheim Duck.

A young Ron Francis wore #4 in Hartford one year.

Last edited:

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I agree, and it's why I wish teams wouldn't 'retire' numbers. I want to see more of today's stars wearing 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc.

I never liked the thing of players wearing their birth-year. Fortunately, we're now into the era where rookies born in 2000 are entering, so that might die...

I once told someone Gretzky wore 99 because he was born in 1899 and they believed me...

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Phil Bourque wore numbers 2 and 4 when he was first called up to Pittsburgh.

Matt Cullen wore number 5 with the Rangers
24898.jpg

Reactions: Chili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad