Forwards that you'd trust at defense

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It is hard enough for a Defenceman to play Defence in the NHL nevermind a Fwd. But I would have to say Patrice Bergeron. He's too smart, too determined and defensively well positioned to not atleast be beaten mentally if he were back there.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Being good defensively as a forward and being good defensively as a D are two completely different things. It's not because you're a two way forward that you can defend a blue line or fend off other forwards while skating backwards.

When I play hockey, I'm an excellent two-way forward and a ****** defenseman.

Good point, me too. A lot of it has to do with skill at backward skating. I'm okay at it but I get turnstiled by guys I'd catch if I was on the backcheck.

That said, Alex Wennberg.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
For the Caps it's tough, back in the day I'd almost prefer Fedorov back there and Laich was great as well. But now I wouldn't trust our best two way forward in Backstrom since I don't think he can skate backwards well/fast enough, he's also not the strongest guy for clearing the net either. Oshie isn't the greatest skater either. I'd probably go with Eller.

although you rarely see forwards skate backwards, so its hard to say.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
None.

I play D and I've never seen a forward whose been swapped in there have a clue what he's doing. Even a NHL'er wouldn't right away, it would take a while to get the hang of it. Needs to learn totally new positioning, new attitude, new instincts/muscle memoryn.

Nobody is going to go through all that by the time you actually reach the NHL level. That's something you do as a kid.

Sami Kapanen, of all people, filled in on D in the 2004 ECF for the Flyers and held his own.

Fedorov was very good on D.

Its not as impossible as you make it sound.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I wonder if there would be players that would be more valuable/effective as a defensemen

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This thread screams Brian Boyle, who has played some defenseman for the Bolts during his time here (usually when Garrison had his monthly injury) lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There aren't many Oilers I wouldn't be comfortable sending out to play D for a short time in a pinch. Nugent-Hopkins would be smart enough even if he might have trouble clearing the net. Kassian has improved immensely in the defensive zone so I'd consider him as well. McDavid is good at everything so he would work if we had to do it. We would have options.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Matthews

Maybe Kapanen with his commitment to defense, grit and his speed/rushing ability would be good too.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
1. Babe Siebert HHOFer, Hart trophy winner 1937 after moving from winger to defense
2. Ebbie Goodfellow HHOFer, Hart trophy winner 1940 after moving from center to defense
3. Tommy Anderson 1942 Hart trophy winner after moving from winger to defense
4. Sergei Fedorov Selke award winner who played defense at times
5. Dustin Byfuglien Stanley Cup champion winger who settled in as heavy-minute offensively-telented defender

It was common for NHL greats to move to the blueline in their waning years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->