Forwards that you'd trust at defense

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
When JR royally screwed up the roster back in 2014-15 and the Pens only had five D for a stretch, Daniel Winnik practiced on defense.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Coaches don't use Star players as defenders for more then a shift or two when injuries happen. It would most likely be a 4th liner.

For the rangers I imagine it would be Jasper Fast

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Fedorov managed both reasonably well.

I've heard people say he would contend for Norris if he played defense. I didn't see him enough on defense to know if this is true, but that is what some people have said.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
This is true, but that doesn't mean some two way forwards can't do those things. I'd be fascinated to see what a "blue line" of

Malkin-Bergeron
Backlund-Getzlaf

Could pull off.

I actually think he would do really good, but take a lot of penalties late in shifts.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think McDavid would be incredible at D. Hes unstoppable when he gets a full head of steam, and at forward hes able to do this quite often. But at D, hed be a bit further back in the play almost all the time and be able to get the puck with room to explode way more often. Karlsson can carve up the ice extremely well, but McDavid would be another level

Defensively I think hes tremendously smart so I think hed be able to handle that aspect

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Hagelin - Okay defensively, very fast and tenacious.

Nick Bonino (When he was a Penguin) - Okay speed, blocks a ton of shots, can move the puck, has some skill.

Crosby - Just because he has the elite ability to retrieve and protect the puck, especially in the corners. And his vision and hockey IQ are unmatched.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
From the Jets: Armia or Lowry.

From the Canes I'd say Aho but I believe he is more valuable at F (given that the OP means they would have to play several games at D, not just the last 10mins of the game).

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I've heard people say he would contend for Norris if he played defense. I didn't see him enough on defense to know if this is true, but that is what some people have said.

I believe that it was Lidstrom who had originally said this.

Another guy who I remember seeing playing both positions is Dandenault.

Current player; Dustin Byfuglien.
My team: Uhh, yikes. Zetterberg?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Couturier. He was basically the Flyers 3rd best defensemen last season.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
None.

I play D and I've never seen a forward whose been swapped in there have a clue what he's doing. Even a NHL'er wouldn't right away, it would take a while to get the hang of it. Needs to learn totally new positioning, new attitude, new instincts/muscle memory.

Nobody is going to go through all that by the time you actually reach the NHL level. That's something you do as a kid.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Brian Boyle. The Kings tried to make him a D years ago and he stunk at it, still, that puts him miles ahead of just about anyone else.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Brian Boyle. The Kings tried to make him a D years ago and he stunk at it, still, that puts him miles ahead of just about anyone else.

He did play D several times for the Lightning when injury dictated.

For the Preds I'd probably put Jarnkrok back there in a pinch. He's not vital to the forward group, and his hockey IQ would help him at that position. Otherwise perhaps Salomaki because he could probably handle it better than Jarnkrok from a physical standpoint.

But really, if the Preds had an injury on defense during a game they would just stretch the minutes of the top-4 (or 3 if one of them were injured)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad