Forwards ice time

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Overdrive brought up a great point today about ice time today again.

Babcock needs to start playing his guys. Im tired of him holding back his big guys.

Matthews needs to be 20-22 mins a night.
Tavares needs to be 19-20 mins a night.
Marner needs to be 19-20 mins a night.
Nylander needs to be 18-20 mins a night.
Rielly needs to be 23-25 mins a night.

Its simple. We are/will be paying them the big bucks. They are our team. We live and die on their play.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Babcock needs to start playing his guys. Im tired of him holding back his big guys.

Tavares needs to be 17-19 mins a night.
Marner needs to be 17-19 mins a night.
Nylander needs to be 17-19 mins a night.
Rielly needs to be 21-23 mins a night.

Its simple. We are/will be paying them the big bucks. They are our team. We live and die on their play.
Aren't all but Matthews and Nylander in your suggested ranges this year?

Reactions: Buds17

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews doesn't need that much.

Give him and Tavares 19:00 - 19:30 and that's perfect IMO.

And if Rielly really is as good as everyone says he is around here, he needs 24:00+

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Matthews is my point. He is a top 5 player. He needs to be played a lot. Why is he getting 17 mins? I think over 19-20 is absolutely necessary.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Matthews is my point. He is a top 5 player. He needs to be played a lot. Why is he getting 17 mins? I think over 19-20 is absolutely necessary.
He's averaging 18.5 minutes this year. 20+ is tough without PKing.

So an extra shift ~45 seconds) and youre happy?

Reactions: White Shadow

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

That’s awkward.

Also how is Matthews going to play 20-22 minutes and Nylander only 17-19??

I meant the only way to do what the OP is suggesting is to slash Kadri’s minutes 2-3 per game. The 4th line is averaging less than 9 already.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
in the playoffs, definitely. Ideally I'd like to see our other players (namely Andersen and Hainsey) get rested for the playoffs as well as the star forwards though

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nylander obviously aside for now, Matthews is the only one not in the range requested. He's barely trailing Marner and Tavares, which is something considering they receive PK responsibilities in addition to PP time. Some things are still a work in progress, I'd imagine.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Tavares needs to be 17-19 mins a night.
Marner needs to be 17-19 mins a night.
Nylander needs to be 17-19 mins a night.
Rielly needs to be 21-23 mins a night.

ummm WTF are you talking about???????????

AM #5 in the league for total shifts
JT #3
MM #7
some numbers are low due to
A) we suck at drawing PPs,,we lead the league in GPs and are 20th in PP chances
B) we don't use our stars,(like many teams) on the PK
C)when we have had PPs we have scored at a high clip, thus shortening PP ice time

our 4th liners have some of the lowest icetimes in the league

Reactions: White Shadow

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I edited my intial post. My point is why is matthews at 17 mins last game? We were losing....why is he not double shifted?

Matthews is probably the least used superstar in the league.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Tavares Marner 19 min
Marleau Matthews Kapanen 19 min
Brown Kadri Nylander 19 min
Lindholm Gauthier Leivo 3 min

Rielly Zaitsev 22 min
Dermott Ozhiganov 19 min
Gardiner Hainsey 19 min

Andersen 62 games
Backup 20 games

And f***ing play your top f***ing guys up to f***ing 25 min when you f***ing have 8 f***ing shots in the first f***ing two periods.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Matthews is 21st in the league for forwards in even strength ice time at 15:53. I'd still like him to get more but at the same time it's not something that is that big of a deal at the moment imo.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews leads all Leafs forwards in ice time 5 v 5 this year.

Last year Tavares averaged a whole 15 seconds more per game than Matthews, essentially a half a shift per game. Crosby one minute.

Toronto.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I have no idea why people get worked up about overall minutes. To get high minutes, you need to play all situations. That includes the PK. The player impact on a PK doesn't vary a lot, so it doesn't matter much who you put out there.

So, if we focus on Matthews, why would we throw him out there to do the same job Gauthier can do, risking his health, only to pad ice time of all things? He needs PP time and ES time. He gets the PP time, and ES time will come when he's on a line that doesn't spend a disproportionate amount of time hemmed in their own zone.

Lindholm Gauthier Leivo 3 min
What on earth? Three minutes? What, you want them to sit and watch the whole game and then go out cold to kill some penalties?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I have no idea why people get worked up about overall minutes. To get high minutes, you need to play all situations. That includes the PK. The player impact on a PK doesn't vary a lot, so it doesn't matter much who you put out there.

So, if we focus on Matthews, why would we throw him out there to do the same job Gauthier can do, risking his health, only to pad ice time of all things? He needs PP time and ES time. He gets the PP time, and ES time will come when he's on a line that doesn't spend a disproportionate amount of time hemmed in their own zone.

What on earth? Three minutes? What, you want them to sit and watch the whole game and then go out cold to kill some penalties?

The are in game injury fill ins.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You guys need to know that its ok to lose games, we dont need to go 82-0 during the season.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
ummm WTF are you talking about???????????

AM #5 in the league for total shifts
JT #3
MM #7
some numbers are low due to
A) we suck at drawing PPs,,we lead the league in GPs and are 20th in PP chances
B) we don't use our stars,(like many teams) on the PK
C)when we have had PPs we have scored at a high clip, thus shortening PP ice time

our 4th liners have some of the lowest icetimes in the league
shifts per game is an ok measure but babcock is notoriously known for short shifts, he implemented this for team canada as well. Lactic acid starts to build up after 40 seconds, so its important to keep shifts short and regular. Hence why the leafs have a lot of shifts but not exactly high toi.
Heres an article on it if you want to learn more.
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/mike-babcock-and-the-40-second-shift-1.377209

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Perhaps, but practically playing with 9 forwards is worse.
I see no excuse for Matthews not playing 20 mins a game. Its not like he cant handle it. He is a superstar and imo one of the best. Play him like he is one of the best.

Especially when you losing and need some offence. Crosby would have been double shifted in that game. McDavid would have played 28 mins LOL

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I see no excuse for Matthews not playing 20 mins a game. Its not like he cant handle it. He is a superstar and imo one of the best. Play him like he is one of the best.

Especially when you losing and need some offence. Crosby would have been double shifted in that game. McDavid would have played 28 mins LOL
I wouldn't mind if he played 20 minutes. That's kind of beside the point I was discussing though? That was not about Matthews, that was about roster management overall.

But yeah, like I said earlier. Matthews will get his minutes by PP and ES time. I see no point in putting him on the PK to artificially boost his ice time. And he's getting his PP minutes, and the ES minutes will increase when his ES line isn't a wreck. He is out there a lot when we need him, but he doesn't get as many normal shifts because that line just hasn't played well enough.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I think on a whole ice time has been perfect for this team. It was lame last game because Babs went back to hard matching. I think if he continues to just rolls the 4 lines like he was on the road, the ice time will sort itself out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews leads all Leafs forwards in ice time 5 v 5 this year.

Last year Tavares averaged a whole 15 seconds more per game than Matthews, essentially a half a shift per game. Crosby one minute.

Toronto.

Yeah there is no story here. If you want a story it comes from the over usage of say Brown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad