forward ufa options

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
now everybody knows that valtteri filppula want a big contract ...

what is the best option for the wings

1-resign valtteri filppula
2-replace him with young players from grand rapids
3-sign stephen weiss
4-sign nathan horton
5-sign michael ryder
6-sign daniel briere
7-sign mike ribeiro
8-sign derek roy
9-trade for bobby ryan
10-trade for mike cammalleri
11-sign david clarkson

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
now everybody knows that valtteri filppula want a big contract ...

what is the best option for the wings

1-resign valtteri filppula
2-replace him with young players from grand rapids
3-sign stephen weiss
4-sign nathan horton
5-sign michael ryder
6-sign daniel briere
7-sign mike ribeiro
8-sign derek roy
9-trade for bobby ryan
10-trade for mike cammalleri
11-sign david clarkson
Looks like Holland wants to go with Stephen Weiss as he's trying to obtain his rights if Florida does'nt resign him.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
While I doubt that this will be Holland's plan, I prefer the Red Wings signing Horton as a free agent. He will be extremely expensive (I'd estimate the AAV of his next contract to be aroud $ 6.5m), but a top-6 right-handed fast power-forward is exactly what's missing right now and will not be brought up until 2015 (unless Jurco has a miraculous development).

Ryan would be a similar player, who is a little bit younger and has a lower cap hit ($ 5.25 p.a.), but since the Ducks may rightfully consider themselves a contender again, trading for him would mean to give up too many valuable assets. Signing a center like Weiss would be an insurance for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but Franzen played quite well as a stopgap center. I also prefer an elite complete lineup over a very good one with more veteran depth.

Gruß,
BSHH

HTT3*

While I doubt that this will be Holland's plan, I prefer the Red Wings signing Horton as a free agent. He will be extremely expensive (I'd estimate the AAV of his next contract to be aroud $ 6.5m), but a top-6 right-handed fast power-forward is exactly what's missing right now and will not be brought up until 2015 (unless Jurco has a miraculous development).

Ryan would be a similar player, who is a little bit younger and has a lower cap hit ($ 5.25 p.a.), but since the Ducks may rightfully consider themselves a contender again, trading for him would mean to give up too many valuable assets. Signing a center like Weiss would be an insurance for Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but Franzen played quite well as a stopgap center. I also prefer an elite complete lineup over a very good one with more veteran depth.

Gruß,
BSHH

Wow, that's too much money for a player of his caliber, especially for one that has known health issues.

I think giving more time Abdelkader develop into the powerforward we need. He has all the tools.

crashman

Maybe I'm crazy, but in more concerned with who the Wings are going to dump than who they'll sign. I really believe in our prospects.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think it'll be 7 mil or above. There are lots of teams looking at Horton this offseason. Same with Clarkson, although he'll get more like 5.5. Too many teams covet those big top 6 wingers for them to go in the low end of their price range.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think the best option this FA just might be 1. Don't touch any of these contracts.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

I'm sold: 7 years, 5 million per and we'll give you Franzen's parking spot. Deal?

Jokes aside, I agree with the poster above:

I'm WAY more worried about some fool trading away all our prospects than which 2-3 year rental FA forward we're gonna sign this offseason.

I want to get a pillow cover that says "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord... won't let Kenny trade Sproul!!"

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the best option this FA just might be 1. Don't touch any of these contracts.

especially since they will all be looking for term as well as big money. I think this is the appeal of the older guys. Everyone wants to hit a homerun in free agency, everyone wants the Wings to sign the best, young guy available, but an older guy could give similar production, and with a much more manageable contract.

I don't really see us signing anyone, but going out and grabbing an old guy for a year or two isn't the worst choice - especially when compared against having to commit yourself for 5+ years to someone else.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
There are a number of options yet to be named. Vancouver, Chicago and Tampa Bay all look like they need to shed some salary to just field a roster, Minnesota is dangerously close to having to make salary cap moves as well.

This is also the last year to use compliance buyouts and there may be a few contracts around that teams would pay to get rid off, even teams that do not need the cap space but just want to get away from a bad deal that could hamper them in the future.

The Letang/Fleury situation will also be interesting to follow, what will the Pens do and how much do they get in return - they don't have mountains of cap space and they like to carry some spare cap into the season to give them elbow space for the trade deadline - there could be some fallout there.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
There are a number of options yet to be named. Vancouver, Chicago and Tampa Bay all look like they need to shed some salary to just field a roster, Minnesota is dangerously close to having to make salary cap moves as well.

This is also the last year to use compliance buyouts and there may be a few contracts around that teams would pay to get rid off, even teams that do not need the cap space but just want to get away from a bad deal that could hamper them in the future.

The Letang/Fleury situation will also be interesting to follow, what will the Pens do and how much do they get in return - they don't have mountains of cap space and they like to carry some spare cap into the season to give them elbow space for the trade deadline - there could be some fallout there.

Agree with most of what you said except it's not the last year to use compliance buyouts; there is next offseason as well.

Part of why I don't think Holland is going to use both actually; he's just so cautious he'll want to save one in case something goes catastrophically wrong.

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/ - reference, scroll down. Says June 2013 and June 2014

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->