Forward or Defense?

Which one?

• Total voters

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Wondering what everyone thinks would be the best use of the Leaf's assets and cap space this year. There are an unusual number of UFAs still unsigned this year and the trade deadline could see a lot of big names moving around. Unfortunately for the Leafs, none of the star power is on D....

Hypothetically, lets say you have a choice of going for a big fish winger like Mark Stone, or addressing the team need with smaller trades like Petrovic and Muzzin. Which would you rather? The top end Elite F with a so-so D, or a more well rounded team?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
star winger

Bottom pairing D isn't going to solve much when we have a lot of guys in our system

A star winger, though, just further complicates matchups for other teams and shelters you from injuries.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
star winger

Bottom pairing D isn't going to solve much when we have a lot of guys in our system

A star winger, though, just further complicates matchups for other teams and shelters you from injuries.
but it doesn't help us get puck out of our end. In case you had not noticed scoring is not our issue. Our issue is the 900 pound gorilla in the room we have trouble with a hard forecheck and then getting puck back once it is lost. Until this issue is fixed it is highly unlikely we win the cup unless we get goodmatchups in playoffs.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Forwards > defenseman in general.

When you're talking star winger like Stone/Panarin vs Petrovic, its legit not close.

Reactions: 43Kadri43

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can I vote just leave it the **** alone?

Funny how over the course of the week the narrative is shifting from "Must get top end D to have a chance" to "need a power forward with sandpaper!" Echo chamber is in full swing.

Actually that’s been the narrative sinc training camp.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Plekanec experiment was a failure.

I'm not big on any moves.

My concern still is our ability to outscore defensive teams with a hot goalie. When the power plays and room on the ice dry up and shot blocking goes up, our team seems to not get the pucks to the net goals whereas our team is susceptible to those same goals.

what helps us:
- lots of penalties called.
- open ice
- Andersen playing lights out.
- puck luck.
- other team doesn't play trap style.
- offensive minded teams where we can trade opportunities.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Star winger easy.

Takes one transition to score a goal. You can play elite D and still lose off one small mistake.

Just look at Doughty getting shook by all the young stars this season. Karlsson gets owned on a nightly basis as well. You guys expect to much from these bottom 4 D. Run them out of town when they come here and you realize they make the same amount of mistakes as guys we already have.

I mean, yes if a top 4 D comes along then grab them...but not at the expense of a star winger. I'm not saying forget D entirely.

Speaking within a specific context. By "Star" winger you imply impact player not just some forward that can chip in points here and there.

Who in the world takes a bottom 4 D over a star winger.

Reactions: Ovate

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Top 4 D moving forward.
Aggressive, forechecking winger for Matthews.

Timeframe = should always be working on this.

Reactions: Boutette

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

My concern still is our ability to outscore defensive teams with a hot goalie. When the power plays and room on the ice dry up and shot blocking goes up, our team seems to not get the pucks to the net goals whereas our team is susceptible to those same goals.

what helps us:
- open ice
- puck luck.
You got it.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

what helps us:
- open ice
- puck luck.

I don't think Plekanec really counts as a "star" though lol.

OP uses a name like Mark Stone. Hell yeah Mark Stone is welcome here.

Reactions: TimeZone

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Defense all day everyday. We are one injury on the defense core away from travesty. Also veteran backup tender.

Right now we need a top4. Doesnt have to be elite, doesnt have to have any special qualities, just an overall quality defenseman that can reduce overall time from Hainsey in the top group to help him be more effective.

Reactions: TimeZone

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

what helps us:
- open ice
- puck luck.
Bang on right. Playoffs - 1st Buffalo, 2nd Tampa, 3rd Pittsburgh and Final Vegas or Calgary (these match ups tick all the boxes)

Bad matchups. Boston, Washington and Columbus. We must avoid those 3 teams like the plague in 1st round.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Bang on right. Playoffs - 1st Buffalo, 2nd Tampa, 3rd Pittsburgh and Final Vegas or Calgary (these match ups tick all the boxes)

Bad matchups. Boston, Washington and Columbus. We must avoid those 3 teams like the plague in 1st round.
Contenders fear no one.
See thread Leafs not built for playoff success for more details.
4 rounds, 16 wins, any matchup. We’ve only played Boston and Washington and now Columbus is there? The list should be shrinking, not growing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t really see a need to acquire ANY forward at the moment. A stopgap vet too 4 D would be the biggest outright need - would allow them to bump Zaitsev down the lineup if need be.

A “star” anything is going to cost a small fortune, and I’m not sure if the Leafs prospect pool is deep enough to justify multiple picks and prospects going out the door

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not sure what I would go for at this point, but a backup goalie would be on my list of options.
It’s difficult as well without knowing who is available and names.
Say a good top 4 D like Pietrangelo is available. Well at the moment that trumps a good top 9 forward.
But say an aggressive skilled forward who is a good fit for Matthews is available and the D available is a bottom pair. Get that forward.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Star winger easy.

Takes one transition to score a goal. You can play elite D and still lose off one small mistake.

Just look at Doughty getting shook by all the young stars this season. Karlsson gets owned on a nightly basis as well. You guys expect to much from these bottom 4 D. Run them out of town when they come here and you realize they make the same amount of mistakes as guys we already have.

I mean, yes if a top 4 D comes along then grab them...but not at the expense of a star winger. I'm not saying forget D entirely.

Speaking within a specific context. By "Star" winger you imply impact player not just some forward that can chip in points here and there.

Who in the world takes a bottom 4 D over a star winger.

I am just not comfortable going into the playoffs with Hainsey still paired up with Rielly.

Reactions: Havoc

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t really see a need to acquire ANY forward at the moment. A stopgap vet too 4 D would be the biggest outright need - would allow them to bump Zaitsev down the lineup if need be.

A “star” anything is going to cost a small fortune, and I’m not sure if the Leafs prospect pool is deep enough to justify multiple picks and prospects going out the door
Down the line I think we need another winger with bite. Matthews and Willy can handle the pretty but we need an aggressive forechecker who can bang in 15 + goals and put the fear of God into D when coming in. Enough making Boston 2nd and 3rd pair D look like all-stars. We hit McAvoy once and he was in distress. Need someone to absorb half the damage so combined 20 million players don’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->