Line Combos: Forward line-up: what would you do?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
6 points in 5 games. That's what it takes to make the playoffs, and it's a hard line to stay above. There are no free games, either at the beginning or end of the season.

A 4 or 5 goal pad in the 3rd period? Sure: experiment away. Just MO.
We were second in the league last year. We were a fair number of games over the next central team so I'd say there are a few free games as long as the effort is there. Granted it may be closer than last year but I don't see any central teams really competing with the Jets and the Preds.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
6 points in 5 games. That's what it takes to make the playoffs, and it's a hard line to stay above. There are no free games, either at the beginning or end of the season.

A 4 or 5 goal pad in the 3rd period? Sure: experiment away. Just MO.

Coaches have to experiment and adapt for teams to be successful. Only fans think there's a magic combination of players that, held together, will bring you the greatest success over an 82 game schedule.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'd agree about Roslo's usage - I think he's got the speed, smarts and offensive upside to make the eventual move to 2C.

I just wish Ehlers had more of a cycle and puck retrieval game - it would help that 2nd line immensely. Being a zone entry monster is great, but if he could add one more arrow to his quiver, he'd be the 2nd line's equivalent to Connor.

I agree, but I think having a more mobile D backstopping that line makes a big difference to how much puck retrieval and cycling Ehlers has to do. Laine is getting better and better at holding the line on the PP, but on several occasions recently he or Ehlers have been blowing the zone to back-check because they have no defensive support, and last night Little was stuck carrying the puck out of the D zone in the absence of any D.

PLL plus Anyone Not Myers or Morrow seems like a worthwhile project going forward, so long as Nik can find a home with either Lemieux or Dano -- either of whom are an upgrade over KVes right now, IMO.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
We were second in the league last year. We were a fair number of games over the next central team so I'd say there are a few free games as long as the effort is there. Granted it may be closer than last year but I don't see any central teams really competing with the Jets and the Preds.

I'm not one to count my chickens before they hatch. This early in the season would be a bad time to get behind and start chasing. I've seen this team (and the previous incarnations of it) miss the playoffs too many times to roll the dice this early in the season.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Coaches have to experiment and adapt for teams to be successful. Only fans think there's a magic combination of players that, held together, will bring you the greatest success over an 82 game schedule.

We're talking about two different things here: I'm talking about not experimenting in a 2-1 game in the 3rd period, when the opposing coach is running their top two lines hard.

I'm all for experimenting, and would like to find a way to make the 2nd and 4th lines more useful. Just not in a 2-1 game. Read my earlier post in the thread for my ideas on what I'd try.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
We're talking about two different things here: I'm talking about not experimenting in a 2-1 game in the 3rd period, when the opposing coach is running their top two lines hard.

I'm all for experimenting, and would like to find a way to make the 2nd and 4th lines more useful. Just not in a 2-1 game. Read my earlier post in the thread for my ideas on what I'd try.

Ok cool, I jumped into the discussion late (short on time) !

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
In Horror fiction:

images

Dr. Maurinstein experimenting with Ehlers

images

Dr. Maurinstein experimenting with Laine

images

Dr. Maurinstein experimenting with
Laine and Ehlers together

In Horror reality:

images

No experimenting ever happen...

p02m8kth.jpg

...regardless of the hope of eager fans.

th

That is abby normal.

Last edited:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
In Horror fiction:

images

images

images

In Horror reality:

images

p02m8kth.jpg

th

That is abby normal.
That was brilliant :laugh:

Reactions: GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They were lower than the previous year... Whats your point?

5v5 16-17

Scheifele 17g 51pts
Ehlers 16g 44pts
Laine 21g 39pts

Wheeler 15g 37pts
Little 12g 26pts

5v5 P/60 16-17

Scheifele 2.51
Ehlers 2.29
Laine 2.27
Little 2.02

Wheeler 1.87

5v5 17-18

Wheeler 14g 41pts
Connor 18g 39pts
Ehlers 17g 38pts
Laine 22g 35pts
Scheifele 10g 34pts
Little 11g 26pts

P/60 5v5 17-18

Connor 2.23
Scheifele 2.22
Ehlers 2.09
Wheeler 2.08
Laine 2.00
Little 1.49

They are one of the best lines in the league - that's all I'm calling out - not sure what that has to do with your post.
Did you read what I was responding to? Better question is "what's your point"?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
All I'm asking for is proof for what many seem to assume is true. It might be true, it might not. I'm not saying it's a "reason to break up the line" but it's not a reason to keep them together unless it's actually true.

I don't think point totals say much of anything. Wheeler got a huge number of his on the power play.

Sorry - I'm not sure where you're going with this.
Are you really not sure if they one of the best lines in the league?
I know you want to see more line configurations - but there has to be a better way to make your point.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Sorry - I'm not sure where you're going with this.
Are you really not sure if they one of the best lines in the league?
I know you want to see more line configurations - but there has to be a better way to make your point.

Of course I'm not sure whether they're one of the best lines in the league. I'm sure they're good, but I have no idea how they stack up against other great lines. Do you? How good are they compared to Pasternak - Berg - Marchand? How good are they compared to Voracek - Couturier - Giroux?

How much better are they than Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler were? Do you know?

8 Best Lines in the NHL: 2017-18 Edition

This article doesn't put them in the top 8 for last year. Why not?

I'm not claiming to be some expert, I don't have an agenda... I have an opinion that can change.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In Horror fiction:

images

images

images

In Horror reality:

images

p02m8kth.jpg

th

That is abby normal.

Those pics were absolutely hilarious :laugh: - gotta love it.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
That was brilliant :laugh:

Yep. Just as brilliant as idea:

Just switch Myers and Laine, Laine being offensive D of the pairing. Problems of lacking TOI and unclear responsibilities are solved without any decrease to Laine's or Myers' or their overall production. Simple as hell, but because there are no enough tools in a Lab, such kind moves never happen. They've been teaching defensive aspects of game to Laine already 2 seasons. Why they cannot go to the logical end of that process then?

If Laine is unworthy to compete for a Rocket in this current roster, maybe he will be better utilized if assigned to the position where he can compete for a Norris.

Imagine 25-30 mins TOI (including PP1 and PP2) presence of the natural D-bio-menace! Nightmare to match against.

:laugh:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
They are one of the best lines in the league - that's all I'm calling out - not sure what that has to do with your post.
Did you read what I was responding to? Better question is "what's your point"?

"Would looking at their point totals from last year help you?"

I took a look and they were lower than the year before so it didn't really help.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Of course I'm not sure whether they're one of the best lines in the league. I'm sure they're good, but I have no idea how they stack up against other great lines. Do you? How good are they compared to Pasternak - Berg - Marchand? How good are they compared to Voracek - Couturier - Giroux?

How much better are they than Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler were? Do you know?

8 Best Lines in the NHL: 2017-18 Edition

This article doesn't put them in the top 8 for last year. Why not?

I'm not claiming to be some expert, I don't have an agenda... I have an opinion that can change.

it does mention them. they got an "honorable mention" placing them in order of mention as #11. out of 140 NHL lines. 11th.....sounds pretty good to me....considering there was no definable metric used in that article and the authors were pretty much playing "pick-um".... i'd say your article proves my point.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

I took a look and they were lower than the year before so it didn't really help.

Whose point totals were lower? Wheeler went up. had a career year.... Schief was ppg (missed 20 btws) pretty much same as year before(ppg) and Connor sure didn't regress..... so waht are you talking about?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

They were really good the year before too -
They'll even better this year - Connor's appears to be seriously stepping it up and Scheif looks like he's also taken it up a notch.
Isn't this an exciting time to be a Jets fan?

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
it does mention them. they got an "honorable mention" placing them in order of mention as #11. out of 140 NHL lines. 11th.....sounds pretty good to me....considering there was no definable metric used in that article and the authors were pretty much playing "pick-um".... i'd say your article proves my point.

Their scoring rate or their defensive play 5v5 indicate that they are nothing special league wide.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
They were really good the year before too -
They'll even better this year - Connor's appears to be seriously stepping it up and Scheif looks like he's also taken it up a notch.
Isn't this an exciting time to be a Jets fan?

They didn't even play together the year before :laugh:

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Whose point totals were lower? Wheeler went up. had a career year.... Schief was ppg (missed 20 btws) pretty much same as year before(ppg) and Connor sure didn't regress..... so waht are you talking about?

Wheeler had a whopping 4 point increase.

5v5 16-17

Scheifele 17g 51pts
Ehlers 16g 44pts
Laine 21g 39pts

Wheeler 15g 37pts
Little 12g 26pts

5v5 P/60 16-17

Scheifele 2.51
Ehlers 2.29
Laine 2.27
Little 2.02

Wheeler 1.87

5v5 17-18

Wheeler 14g 41pts
Connor 18g 39pts
Ehlers 17g 38pts
Laine 22g 35pts
Scheifele 10g 34pts
Little 11g 26pts

P/60 5v5 17-18

Connor 2.23
Scheifele 2.22
Ehlers 2.09
Wheeler 2.08
Laine 2.00
Little 1.49

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

So by "one of the best lines in the NHL" people mean compared to ALL the lines in the entire league, but middling for a first line? And this makes them untouchable somehow, on a supposed SC contender??

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Wheeler had a whopping 4 point increase.

5v5 16-17

Scheifele 17g 51pts
Ehlers 16g 44pts
Laine 21g 39pts

Wheeler 15g 37pts
Little 12g 26pts

5v5 P/60 16-17

Scheifele 2.51
Ehlers 2.29
Laine 2.27
Little 2.02

Wheeler 1.87

5v5 17-18

Wheeler 14g 41pts
Connor 18g 39pts
Ehlers 17g 38pts
Laine 22g 35pts
Scheifele 10g 34pts
Little 11g 26pts

P/60 5v5 17-18

Connor 2.23
Scheifele 2.22
Ehlers 2.09
Wheeler 2.08
Laine 2.00
Little 1.49

So when you said less than the year before...you really meant the exact opposite of what you said......

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
So when you said less than the year before...you really meant the exact opposite of what you said......

So Wheeler's 4 point increase cancels out Scheifele,Laine,Ehlers,Little decrease?

Scheifele 2.51 - 2.22 = -0.29
Ehlers 2.29 - 2.09 = -0.20
Laine 2.27 - 2.00 = -0.27
Little 2.02 - 1.49 = - 0.53
Wheeler 1.87 - 2.08 = +0.21

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
So by "one of the best lines in the NHL" people mean compared to ALL the lines in the entire league, but middling for a first line? And this makes them untouchable somehow, on a supposed SC contender??

so in a garbage pick'em article they were possibly ranked via no discernible metric to be in the top third of the league....... clearly it's definitive....close it down boys the Jets stink. may as well sell the team and start watching cricket.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
[continuation to that last comment of mine] ...And then someday in a distant future, they still pass a puck to Laine when there are EN-situation because he is always on-ice playing on average 58+ mins per game.

In that position where he once started his strategic level offense in the art of hockey.

(Yes. I'm drunken now. No worries. Just thinking what kind things motivate and motivated my Dear Idol!) :D

Good night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->