• J. Robertson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pick the player you like the best for the Coyotes. Not a mock draft. Not a prediction poll. Make the pick you personally like the best for the Coyotes at the spot.

So far our list is...

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Vasili Podkolzin
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Kirby Dach
6. Dylan Cozens
7. Peyton Krebs
8. Trevor Zegras
9. Bowen Byram
10. Cole Caulfield
11. Matthew Boldy
12. Alex Newhook

Pick your #13. Option order from most recent McKenzie poll and mynhldraft.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I Went with Kaliyev. He’s a potential first line player.

We are however nearing the D territory on my list. York, Seider, Couple of Swedish defensemen and Leason, Lavoie, Tomasino coming up.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Kaliyev is the last of the group that's easy to predict. Wide open after him.
I'm probably going with Lavoie next.

Thinking the same. If it plays out how we have it here (or at least those 13 players in whatever combination), it becomes very easy for me to trade 14 OV for immediate help.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Kaliyev doesn't have red flags (effort/coachability/give-a-shit) then he goes 10 slots higher than this. He does have red flags. The question is how serious is the issue.

Reactions: hbk

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Do the flags exist if his name is Arthur Smith? I think there's a little Russian bias (he's not even Russian) with this kid.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
A quote from Brock Otten's blog

Kaliyev's flaws are just as easy to spot as his strengths--he's too stationary, plays with little pace, and heaviness comes and goes.

GMs will have to do their homework on this kid, and I'm not talking about tracing his lineage. Find out what motivates him and why he often looks un-motivated.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If I was a fan of any other organization I would have picked Kaliyev here, maybe earlier. I just worry about players with motivation issues and how that translates to a Tuesday night during the middle of the NFL season at the Gila.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do the flags exist if his name is Arthur Smith? I think there's a little Russian bias (he's not even Russian) with this kid.
I think they do exist. He's a one trick pony but man is it a hell of a trick.

Here's the thing for me though. We hired a players coach. The Kessel whisperer. This is the type of player he's supposed to excel at reaching.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think they do exist. He's a one trick pony but man is it a hell of a trick.

Here's the thing for me though. We hired a players coach. The Kessel whisperer. This is the type of player he's supposed to excel at reaching.
What's all this talk about the "Kessel whisper"? Kessel most successful years in Pittsburgh was after RT left.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What's all this talk about the "Kessel whisper"? Kessel most successful years in Pittsburgh was after RT left.

Has it occurred to you that sometimes just putting up stats is not what is meant by being able to break through with players? One of the elements that people talk about with Kaliyev is that because Hamilton had a poor year this season, Kaliyev might stray from the system and try to put the team on his back, which can be a good or bad thing.

So going back to my first question, is it possible that the way Tocchet was able to get through to Kessel was to get him to play within the system better?

To make it a more specific type of reference to a different sport, what if you have a QB who puts up amazing stats, but will fit the ball into tight windows at inopportune times, which could lead to disappointment in crucial playoff games (think someone like Brett Favre in the latter part of his career)? Then, a different coach comes along and starts to wean this QB off of certain decisions that have him putting up worse numbers, but gets the team to the Super Bowl?

Kessel's two worst seasons also happened when they won the Stanley Cup. I get it - that does not mean that the two are 100% linked. But maybe there is a totally different aspect to play that Tocchet brought out of Kessel which got him to play more of a "team-centric" game. So, maybe Kaliyev is the type of player that needs to understand his ability doesn't need to be predicated on scoring as much as possible, system be damned.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Also - Sullivan seems to have thrown his hands in the air with Kessel and is seemingly ready to move on. This despite strong statistical output offensively.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Also - Sullivan seems to have thrown his hands in the air with Kessel and is seemingly ready to move on. This despite strong statistical output offensively.
Kessel for Kaliyev (14OA)!

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I’d take that gamble.

With Yotes luck/one season removed from a bottom 3 finish.... I wouldn't take that chance for a 32 year old Kessel, personally. It seems too "Coyote's luck" that they'd do the trade... and he gets hurt/the team suddenly falls apart again and then Pit gets a top 5 or even better because why not. Who's gonna be 1st overall next draft? Oh yea... Alexis Lafreniere! Wouldn't trade that potential lottery ticket haha.

I was never a fan of 1st for him when I knew it was 14... less so when it's up in the air. Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic but that's Yote's life!

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Maybe make it a conditional 1st in 2020. We throw them something else if we make the playoffs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Has it occurred to you that sometimes just putting up stats is not what is meant by being able to break through with players? One of the elements that people talk about with Kaliyev is that because Hamilton had a poor year this season, Kaliyev might stray from the system and try to put the team on his back, which can be a good or bad thing.

So going back to my first question, is it possible that the way Tocchet was able to get through to Kessel was to get him to play within the system better?

To make it a more specific type of reference to a different sport, what if you have a QB who puts up amazing stats, but will fit the ball into tight windows at inopportune times, which could lead to disappointment in crucial playoff games (think someone like Brett Favre in the latter part of his career)? Then, a different coach comes along and starts to wean this QB off of certain decisions that have him putting up worse numbers, but gets the team to the Super Bowl?

Kessel's two worst seasons also happened when they won the Stanley Cup. I get it - that does not mean that the two are 100% linked. But maybe there is a totally different aspect to play that Tocchet brought out of Kessel which got him to play more of a "team-centric" game. So, maybe Kaliyev is the type of player that needs to understand his ability doesn't need to be predicated on scoring as much as possible, system be damned.
You can assume all you want about Kessel and RT doesn't amount to a hill of beans to me. Maybe Kessel didn't get along with Sullivan and RT acted as a go between to smooth the waters. All I know is if we trade for Kessel RT better make sure he can adjust his system to make Kessel successful.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Like Makin? Maybe Sullivan is the problem?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You can assume all you want about Kessel and RT doesn't amount to a hill of beans to me. Maybe Kessel didn't get along with Sullivan and RT acted as a go between to smooth the waters. All I know is if we trade for Kessel RT better make sure he can adjust his system to make Kessel successful.

You're talking two completely different points now. Your initial argument was that Kessel put up his lowest numbers with Tocchet as his assistant coach.

Right now, Kessel is more successful with his point totals, yet his team has gone out in the 2nd round and got swept in the 1st round the past two years with greater point totals.

If we trade for Kessel and he is the 4th highest points on our team next year, yet we make it far in the playoffs, are you upset because Kessel's points were down, but our team play is up?

Get real... your points are valid to wanting Kessel to put up high point totals, but honestly, give me team success over player success every day of the week. If the coach can work with a good player and make the TEAM successful, then the player's success is the least of my concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad