Fortnite: Battle Royale - Free - All Platforms

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Late to the party but been playing intermittently for a few weeks after finally caving and figuring out just what Fortnite was by watching streams on twitch. Got hooked on some streamers and decided to play it on my PS4. Was instantly hooked. Was absolutely terrible to begin but have since been able to get a couple kills per game, usually. No wins yet, but lots of second place finishes because I can't build for shit, so I don't even bother building ever. Changed to Builder Pro recently and that has helped more but still don't build because it's so clunky and slow for me that I'm busy trying to build and then switch to a weapon while the other guy has built a Taj Mahal and is headshoting me with a shotgun. Still a blast tho. My strategy is land somewhere on the edge to get some actual weapons and then creep to the circle fighting anyone I think I can take.

I actually really enjoy the limited time game modes the most. Got some good experience in the explosives one with knowing how to use the rocket and grenade launchers. 50 v 50 was fun because the loot was so good and there was no pressure of someone sniping me from behind. Could actually work on aiming and shooting. Wish they'd hurry up with the next one. Might try a duos or squads eventually, didn't know you could match with randoms.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm confused as to why there's so many solo players in Squads? Most games I'm playing is coming down to 1v1v1's or something like that.

I benefited today. My squad dropped Haunted and I didn't make it there, and they got killed off quickly. The game ended in a 1v1 which I won and got my first season 4 victory.

Or they are just the last ones left of their squad.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Havent been able to play a lot this week and of course I'm having trouble completing the sniper and port a fort challenges. I played a total of 3 hours yesterday and found a sniper only 3-4 times and I have yet to come across a port a fort. It's like Fortnite knows I need those challenges and won't spawn those items for me

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Fortnite just announced a new LTM coming tomorrow - a mashup with Avengers Infinity War. The Infinity Stones Gauntlet will be in play and the player who has it becomes Thanos

Reactions: G F O P

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Havent been able to play a lot this week and of course I'm having trouble completing the sniper and port a fort challenges. I played a total of 3 hours yesterday and found a sniper only 3-4 times and I have yet to come across a port a fort. It's like Fortnite knows I need those challenges and won't spawn those items for me

Remember, the Hunting Rifle is considered a sniper as well. Don’t forget to check vending machines as snipers/hunting rifles are pretty common in there.

Play some Duos/Squads and knock someone. Build around them and finish them off with your sniper. It’ll count as sniper eliminations and damage even if you knocked them with something else.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Remember, the Hunting Rifle is considered a sniper as well. Don’t forget to check vending machines as snipers/hunting rifles are pretty common in there.

Play some Duos/Squads and knock someone. Build around them and finish them off with your sniper. It’ll count as sniper eliminations and damage even if you knocked them with something else.
I forgot that finishing people off counted as damage. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be doing that this evening before/after the Caps/Penguins game

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Fortnite just announced a new LTM coming tomorrow - a mashup with Avengers Infinity War. The Infinity Stones Gauntlet will be in play and the player who has it becomes Thanos

I'm excited for this. Wonder how it will play out. I was hoping they'd do a mode like the Golden Gun from Goldeneye at some point and this seems close to that.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Well spoilers if you don't want to know how this LTM works

The gauntlet crash lands once the bus is finished with it's route. There is a circle from the beginning randomly somewhere on the map. Storm closes quick as gauntlet lands in that circle somewhere. Best strategy is to ride the bus out, glide, and then dive until the gauntlet lands wherever. Once someone gets the gauntlet, they can jump really high/far and crash down, punch some dude into oblivion, or use some like laser stream to kill people. No weapons. Thanos is easy to kill if used by a noob. Or completely OP if used by some awesome streamer like NickMercs right away. Just depends on who gets it. Haven't even touched it yet, tho did kill Thanos on my first try before getting sniped. Seems fun, but if I can't ever get the gauntlet then well no fun and I know I suck.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
New game mode is pretty fun. Played 3 games of it came 2nd first game as I died to the zone when I got Thanos to like 150 health, and won my 3rs game after I killed a fully healthed Thanos when their were 5 guys left, and killed the rest with Thanos.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I just can't get into this game. Way too corny for me. The building is absolutely ridiculous and every match turns into two guys playing "build a tower straight up as quickly as possible". Between that, the remote controlled rockets, and those boost things that throw you up in the air, and now this Thanos crap this game is about as gimmicky as they come.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I just can't get into this game. Way too corny for me. The building is absolutely ridiculous and every match turns into two guys playing "build a tower straight up as quickly as possible". Between that, the remote controlled rockets, and those boost things that throw you up in the air, and now this Thanos crap this game is about as gimmicky as they come.

its not too bad but I am a kind of in the same boat. its fun for a few games but not over all a great multiplayer game in terms of what I favor in regards to gunplay etc.

I just watched my Gfs son drop all his bday money on ps4 cards the last couple months to buy the season packs (or whatever it is called) and spend the rest on coins. I cant imagine the loot this company is making just for selling skins, axes, graffiti and load screens lmao, well done by them though.

Had a good laugh last night when he was playing duos and was down to the final two pairs. He was all excited yelling to his partner that the two they were against had "noob skins" and it would be an easy win and then they just got absolutely lit up...I had to say to him....that they were just good players that didn't waste their money on fancy skins and load screens like a noob lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
its not too bad but I am a kind of in the same boat. its fun for a few games but not over all a great multiplayer game in terms of what I favor in terms of gunplay etc.

I just watched my Gfs son drop all his bday money on ps4 cards the last couple months to buy the season packs (or whatever it is called) and spend the rest on coins. I cant imagine the loot this company is making just for selling skins, axes, graffiti and load screens lmao, well done by them though.

Had a good laugh last night when he was playing duos and was down to the final two pairs. He was all excited yelling to his partner that the two they were against had "noob skins" and it would be an easy win and then they just got absolutely lit up...I had to say to him....that they were just good players that didn't waste their money on fancy skins and load screens like a noob lol.

- Yeah, it's just not for me. When it comes to shooters I've always been a little bit more into more realistic shooters, so this doesn't really do it for me.

- The micro-transaction trend that the gaming industry has adopted makes me sick, man. Between things like skins and loading screens, Rockstar selling GTA$, and paid DLC companies are more interested in making moneygrabbing micro-transactions than they are about making a quality game with depth. I recently saw a similar thing with my friend's nephew dropping about $200 of his christmas money on Shark cards in GTA and blew the money in literally an hour.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
- Yeah, it's just not for me. When it comes to shooters I've always been a little bit more into more realistic shooters, so this doesn't really do it for me.

- The micro-transaction trend that the gaming industry has adopted makes me sick, man. Between things like skins and loading screens, Rockstar selling GTA$, and paid DLC companies are more interested in making moneygrabbing micro-transactions than they are about making a quality game with depth. I recently saw a similar thing with my friend's nephew dropping about $200 of his christmas money on Shark cards in GTA and blew the money in literally an hour.

to be fair though. Fortnite is free to play. That aspect of it is fantastic and its only your personal preference to get involved with the micro-transaction aspect of it. its a pretty good business model and it gives a player like me an opportunity to play the game for free while basically piggybacking off those that buy the micro-transactions to keep the game evolving.

micro transactions are always a choice imo.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
to be fair though. Fortnite is free to play. That aspect of it is fantastic and its only your personal preference to get involved with the micro-transaction aspect of it. its a pretty good business model and it gives a player like me an opportunity to play the game for free while basically piggybacking off those that buy the micro-transactions to keep the game evolving.

micro transactions are always a choice imo.
Yeah, Fortnite is free which is cool, but it's certainly a newer type of model, releasing free games and banking on micro-transactions.

I agree that micro-txs are a chance for sure, but even if you don't choose to buy any, quality of games on release are going down as developers are focused more on micro-transactions than the actual game itself. Certain aspects of games are intentionally made more difficult to encourage players to engage in micro-txs.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
I find people who don't like Fornite don't understand the game at all. Of course building is powerful, the game is based on a fort building tower defence game, and imo it's the greatest part of this game! The things you can achieve with building is damn near incredible - and nothing in gaming replicates it.

The game is literally ALL ABOUT building. Stop landing in the middle of the map trying to go for kills, take the time and do a drop on the outer edges of the map, farm max wood and actually LEARN how to build. Practice how to make a simple defensive 1x1 tower, and after that try and tackle more difficult building techniques like sieging/talking high ground from another player.

I understand it's frustrating for new players to get their shit kicked in by an experienced builder, but it's really not difficult at all to learn how to use materials as defensive and offensive items. I often find people who find this game gimmicky never even played long enough to get used to every mechanic in the game. This isn't PUBG where your gun play and positioning will carry you to games.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I find people who don't like Fornite don't understand the game at all. Of course building is powerful, the game is based on a fort building tower defence game, the thing you can do with building is damn near incredible - and nothing in gaming replicates it. The game is literally ALL ABOUT building. Stop landing in the middle of the map trying to go for kills, take the time and do a drop on the outer edges of the map, farm max wood and actually LEARN how to build. Practice how to make a simple defensive 1x1 tower, and after that try and tackle more difficult building techniques like sieging/talking high ground from another player.

I understand it's frustrating for new players to get their **** kicked in by an experienced builder, but it's really not difficult at all to learn how to use materials as defensive and offensive items. I often find people who find this game gimmicky never even played long enough to get used to every mechanic in the game. This isn't PUBG where your gun play and positioning will carry you to games.

I agree that it is primarily about building to advance, defend and overtake. Its like minecraft with guns and its awesome. I don't find the building aspect hard at all esp when you are playing with someone who is a bit better than you and you learn a thing or two.

It is a fun game. Ill play a few rounds a week but the crap gunplay and repetition make it only fun in short burst for me personally. The updates they do are fantastic though even though they are quite gimmicky. Since I started playing my best finish was 2nd on my forth or fifth go around in BR but since then I am usually falling in the 5-20 range in solo and duos. I 100% understand the game but the draw just isn't there for me personally and the learning curve isn't very steep. I usually just let the gun slingers battle it out in the major areas and farm/collect weapons from smaller cache sites, keep moving with the storm and only engage when I/we have the upper hand. I think if they tightened up the gunplay it would hold more allure/playability for me.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I find people who don't like Fornite don't understand the game at all (1). Of course building is powerful, the game is based on a fort building tower defence game, and imo it's the greatest part of this game! The things you can achieve with building is damn near incredible - and nothing in gaming replicates it.

The game is literally ALL ABOUT building (2) Stop landing in the middle of the map trying to go for kills, take the time and do a drop on the outer edges of the map, farm max wood and actually LEARN how to build. Practice how to make a simple defensive 1x1 tower, and after that try and tackle more difficult building techniques like sieging/talking high ground from another player.

I understand it's frustrating for new players to get their **** kicked in by an experienced builder, but it's really not difficult at all to learn how to use materials as defensive and offensive items. I often find people who find this game gimmicky never even played long enough to get used to every mechanic in the game.(3) This isn't PUBG where your gun play and positioning will carry you to games. (4)

1. Or they understand it and just... don't... like it.....

2. Exactly... Which is what people don't like about it... It's billed as a Battle Royale/shooter sandbox, when in reality it's not that at all. It's in its own genre of : "build a structure really fast against the other guy who's also building a structure really fast".

3. Or they played it and think that it's a gimmicky game with gimmicky features... lol

4. So basically it's shooting game that doesn't focus on shooting.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
It's not all about building lol. There's a lot of ways to counter someone who just spams builds. Explosives, launch pads, snipers when they peak, mini gun the base of the build, etc. Plus when you build a lot it attracts a lot of attention. Lots of time you can just ignore it and play the zone, since when they're in build spam mode they forget about the zone lots of times.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

You don't need to spend $1 to be competitive in this game. It's free. It's up to people if they want to spend money on skins and what not but it does not enhance your performance what so ever. This is exactly how micro transactions should be and it's a free game.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You don't need to spend $1 to be competitive in this game. It's free. It's up to people if they want to spend money on skins and what not but it does not enhance your performance what so ever. This is exactly how micro transactions should be and it's a free game.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Fortnite's micro-transactions. It's more of an overriding dislike of the direction of the gaming industry, in regards to the massive focus on micro-txs that led me on that little tangent. lol

I'm not sure exactly how Fortnite's micro's work, but in my opinion 95% of things available for purchase via micro-txs should also be able to be unlocked by the player through various tasks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad