Fortnite: Battle Royale - Free - All Platforms

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
And SOS means Save Our Ship. Not Souls.... Not that it really matters but that is the original form of the SOS acronym.

/nitpick
Actually, SOS is not an acronym for either Save our soul/ship.

"SOS is the International Morse code distress signal. This distress signal was first adopted by the German government radio regulations effective 1 April 1905, and became the worldwide standard under the second International Radiotelegraphic Convention, which was signed on 3 November 1906, and became effective on 1 July 1908. SOS remained the maritime radio distress signal until 1999, when it was replaced by the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System.[1] SOS is still recognized as a visual distress signal.[2]
The SOS distress signal is a continuous sequence of three dots, three dashes, and three dots, with no spaces between the letters (notated by the overbar). In International Morse Code, three dots form the letter S, and three dashes make the letter O, so "S O S" became a way to remember the order of the dots and dashes. In modern terminology, SOS is a Morse "procedural signal" or "prosign",[3] and the formal way to write it is with a bar above the letters or enclosed in angle brackets: SOS or <SOS>.
In popular usage, SOS became associated with such phrases as "Save our Souls" and "Save our Ship". SOS is only one of several ways that the combination could have been written; IWB or V7, for example, would both produce exactly the same sound; SOS is just easier to remember. SOS is the only nine-element signal in Morse code, making it more easily recognizable, as no other symbol uses more than eight elements"

SOS - Wikipedia

SOS is the sound of the distress signal and isn't an acronym for anything.

Reactions: NyQuil

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Actually, SOS is not an acronym for either Save our soul/ship.

"SOS is the International Morse code distress signal. This distress signal was first adopted by the German government radio regulations effective 1 April 1905, and became the worldwide standard under the second International Radiotelegraphic Convention, which was signed on 3 November 1906, and became effective on 1 July 1908. SOS remained the maritime radio distress signal until 1999, when it was replaced by the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System.[1] SOS is still recognized as a visual distress signal.[2]
The SOS distress signal is a continuous sequence of three dots, three dashes, and three dots, with no spaces between the letters (notated by the overbar). In International Morse Code, three dots form the letter S, and three dashes make the letter O, so "S O S" became a way to remember the order of the dots and dashes. In modern terminology, SOS is a Morse "procedural signal" or "prosign",[3] and the formal way to write it is with a bar above the letters or enclosed in angle brackets: SOS or <SOS>.
In popular usage, SOS became associated with such phrases as "Save our Souls" and "Save our Ship". SOS is only one of several ways that the combination could have been written; IWB or V7, for example, would both produce exactly the same sound; SOS is just easier to remember. SOS is the only nine-element signal in Morse code, making it more easily recognizable, as no other symbol uses more than eight elements"

SOS - Wikipedia

SOS is the sound of the distress signal and isn't an acronym for anything.
Excuse me if I don't believe everything that is said on the internet. There is a real history to SOS and its original meaning is Save Our Ship.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Excuse me if I don't believe everything that is said on the internet.
You are excused, and you're right you should not believe everything that's said on the internet, don't believe everything that is said in real life either. People get stuff wrong all the time.

There is a real history to SOS
Yes there is, and I posted some of it above.
and its original meaning is Save Our Ship.
Nope, it really isn't. But go ahead and continue to be wrong if that's what you're interrested in.

I'll stay out of this thread now, have never even played the game but couldn't resist to nitpick. Have a good day you guys!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You are excused, and you're right you should not believe everything that's said on the internet, don't believe everything that is said in real life either. People get stuff wrong all the time.

Yes there is, and I posted some of it above.

Nope, it really isn't. But go ahead and continue to be wrong if that's what you're interrested in.

I'll stay out of this thread now, have never even played the game but couldn't resist to nitpick. Have a good day you guys!
Hey thats fine. Agree to disagree. I just know this history. Maybe ill go edit the Wikipedia page like anyone can. :laugh:

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I highly doubt it represents Save our Souls or Ships since as mentioned earlier, it was first used by the Germans. It’s likely that it was used for its simplicity and ease to send/understand.

Reactions: NyQuil

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Hey thats fine. Agree to disagree. I just know this history. Maybe ill go edit the Wikipedia page like anyone can. :laugh:
Don’t edit it because you’re wrong. Someone will just have to change it back. Also,”agree to disagree” doesn’t really make any sense in this context. You can’t disagree on a fact :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Don’t edit it because you’re wrong. Someone will just have to change it back. Also,”agree to disagree” doesn’t really make any sense in this context. You can’t disagree on a fact :laugh:
The only "fact" you know is what people are reading on the internet. I don't think any of you are as close to this history as I am. Which is why I am so willing to drop it and let ignorance win here because I honestly don't care if some people on the internet whom I will never meet believe something that isn't the truth with something so trivial as this. It's not a big deal and you all "know" the wrong history as "fact".

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
The only "fact" you know is what people are reading on the internet. I don't think any of you are as close to this history as I am. Which is why I am so willing to drop it and let ignorance win here because I honestly don't care if some people on the internet whom I will never meet believe something that isn't the truth with something so trivial as this. It's not a big deal and you all "know" the wrong history as "fact".
Lmao double down on the idiocy. You’re wrong(as you often are) just get the f*** over it.

Such a problem with society. This whole “my idiotic opinion is just as good as your facts” and I don’t need anything other than my opinion as support. . It’s how we get anti-vaxers and climate science deniers.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Lmao double down on the idiocy. You’re wrong(as you often are) just get the **** over it.

Such a problem with society. This whole “my idiotic opinion is just as good as your facts” and I don’t need anything other than my opinion as support. . It’s how we get anti-vaxers and climate science deniers.
Take some deep breaths. Sounds like you are the one that needs to get over it. :laugh:

Reactions: Peanut

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
........anyways, back to Fortnite :laugh: For anybody who's not aware, I HIGHLY recommend trying out the new Builder Pro controller layout for console players. Its essentially the same as Combat pro in every aspect other than building. When you press circle, rather than having to cycle through the options, the selections are bound to all your bumper buttons. For example on PS4, a wall is R2, stairs are L2, pyramid is L1, and the flat floor is R1.

I've been using Combat Pro essentially since I starting playing, so it definitely takes a bit to get used to because of muscle memory, but I think it's a great option. AND TURN ON TURBO BUILDING. You don't have to always use it, I dont either, but quick single bases are incredibly quicker to build with turbo and Builder Pro. Its as simple as pressing circle then alternating between holding R2 in a circle and L2 for stairs. In my opinion this is pretty huge, and can be a great help for those learning to build in a pinch.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I finally got a squad win (three solo wins). I don't have a ton of friends that play the game, so I'd always be matched with random people online.

They pretty much wanted to land at the first city, which 95% of squad members do online. I didn't jump when they did and met up with them elsewhere, getting a scar and such. These guys were pretty decent builders and players, actually. It came down to two of us vs two others. They got my teammate down, and I got one of them unexpectedly. I didn't know where the other guy was, so I revived my teammate. While reviving him, I could see the guy moving inside of the base literally right beside us (I guess he didn't see us). Once my teammate was revived I shot open the base and a raven popped out and I got him with a shotgun for the win. I can't believe he didn't see me reviving right outside lol.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I finally got a squad win (three solo wins). I don't have a ton of friends that play the game, so I'd always be matched with random people online.

They pretty much wanted to land at the first city, which 95% of squad members do online. I didn't jump when they did and met up with them elsewhere, getting a scar and such. These guys were pretty decent builders and players, actually. It came down to two of us vs two others. They got my teammate down, and I got one of them unexpectedly. I didn't know where the other guy was, so I revived my teammate. While reviving him, I could see the guy moving inside of the base literally right beside us (I guess he didn't see us). Once my teammate was revived I shot open the base and a raven popped out and I got him with a shotgun for the win. I can't believe he didn't see me reviving right outside lol.

Nice, grats! Its amazing really, there's times I'll get sniped at by a guy who somehow saw me halfway across the map inside the trees, and other times I'm close enough to somebody to touch em and they'll have no idea :laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yea the 2 worst things right now are guided rockets - just get rid of them, and the inconsistency of shotguns; it's like flipping a coin if you're going to do 150 damage or 13.. the patch today is nerfing guided missiles which is good.
Oh my God yes. I hit a guy in the head with a blue pump and only did 22 damage. Granted it wasn't perfectly lined up to grant the full 220 but I didn't even break the shield off.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Nice, grats! Its amazing really, there's times I'll get sniped at by a guy who somehow saw me halfway across the map inside the trees, and other times I'm close enough to somebody to touch em and they'll have no idea :laugh:

Oh, for sure. This guy was a Raven and jumped and got a shotgun shot off, so he didn't seem bad. Perhaps I just got lucky haha.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I'm having a lot of fun with 50v50. It gets boring after a while, but when you're in a fresh mindset, it's a lot of fun.

I'm also falling victim to buying cosmetics in the game. I spent $35 to get that Hug Leader (pink bear) costume and the pickaxe. The second I saw the Disco Fever emote back I dropped another chunk of cash to buy it (and the S4 battle pass when it comes). It's addicting lol.

Fortnite memes may be my favourite memes on the internet

The John Wick memes are gold.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm having a lot of fun with 50v50. It gets boring after a while, but when you're in a fresh mindset, it's a lot of fun.

I'm also falling victim to buying cosmetics in the game. I spent $35 to get that Hug Leader (pink bear) costume and the pickaxe. The second I saw the Disco Fever emote back I dropped another chunk of cash to buy it (and the S4 battle pass when it comes). It's addicting lol.

The John Wick memes are gold.

The pink bear is the best one, not too stealthy. I have to be a with a good team when I pull it out. I have spent too much on this free game. Lol.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Something should be coming today for Tilted Towers. They added some furniture to the top of one of the buildings yesterday that has a sign with a comet, UFO, towers and tomorrow.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Got my first double digit kill squad game win, felt good.

Also the people that finish you or a teammate off in the middle of a fight are the worst.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Got my first double digit kill squad game win, felt good.

Also the people that finish you or a teammate off in the middle of a fight are the worst.
haha if most of my team is dead and I have little to no chance of winning the fight and there is someone downedI will always try to take them with me, sorry guys but if I'm going down I'm taking whoever I can with me.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
haha if most of my team is dead and I have little to no chance of winning the fight and there is someone downedI will always try to take them with me, sorry guys but if I'm going down I'm taking whoever I can with me.
I'm talking about when there's like 3 people left on each side, and your teammates are getting outnumbered and are now dead because you are shooting someone on the ground and now you're dead.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->