Forsberg does no rule out return to Denver but will a Hard Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Forsberg wants to return to Denver
TSN.ca Staff
4/19/2005

Peter Forsberg says he's looking forward to playing in the NHL next season with the Colorado Avalanche.

"That's his mind-set at the moment," Forsberg's agent Don Baizley tells the Denver Post. "and I don't think he's looking to get out of Denver. He loves Denver."

Link : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=122073&hubName=nhl

Is this going to be a very popular question in the New NHL ??

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The Avalanche organization will do everything in their power to keep Peter Forsberg. Its not too many times you have the ability to sign the best player in the world. He wants to be there, they want him - PL will make the moves required to keep him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Enoch said:
The Avalanche organization will do everything in their power to keep Peter Forsberg. Its not too many times you have the ability to sign the best player in the world. He wants to be there, they want him - PL will make the moves required to keep him.
As the Article suggests the Avs have 11 players and 30 mil commited for next year ..

That means that PL has to sign another 11 players to fill out his 22 man roster .. Even if the Cap is at $40 Mil that leaves only 10 mil (not counting all those Bonus, Insurance, buyout stuff) ..

Not a lot of room to get the best player in the world under contract ..

This is going to be an ongoing concern .. NO ??

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Messenger said:
As the Article suggests the Avs have 11 players and 30 mil commited for next year ..

That means that PL has to sign another 11 players to fill out his 22 man roster .. Even if the Cap is at $40 Mil that leaves only 10 mil (not counting all those Bonus, Insurance, buyout stuff) ..

That is prior to any rollback though, the 24% would take that down to 23mill, which would leave 19.5 million left.

If it's legal I'm sure Sakic and/or Blake might kick back more to get under the cap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hasbro said:
That is prior to any rollback though, the 24% would take that down to 23mill, which would leave 19.5 million left.

If it's legal I'm sure Sakic and/or Blake might kick back more to get under the cap.
Are we sure the 24% is still on the table ??

That was a ploy to avoid a hard cap and get a 1/2 season.. Times have changed now

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Messenger said:
Are we sure the 24% is still on the table ??

That was a ploy to avoid a hard cap and get a 1/2 season.. Times have changed now
There will be some coming back and I don't think Pete will be holding out for 10 million. He's shown a willingness to work with the Avs on salary issues before.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So, you are admittedly unlikely to lose Forsberg or the bulk of your team and yet you all should get an equal shot at number one?

It is circular logic like the thoughts in threads like this one and then the exact opposite said by similar teams fans in the draft threads, often said by the exact same people in both threads, that threatens to make my head explode.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
not at all

The Messenger said:

Two words.... competative balance.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Jaded-Fan said:
So, you are admittedly unlikely to lose Forsberg or the bulk of your team and yet you all should get an equal shot at number one?

It is circular logic like the thoughts in threads like this one and then the exact opposite said by similar teams fans in the draft threads, often said by the exact same people in both threads, that threatens to make my head explode.

You're looking for something that isn't there. Nobody has thus far suggested that the Avs could just resign Foppa and everybody else without some juggling.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:

Not all people are supporting that .. Posters that are Pro-Game, suggest that in the NEW NHL .. Avs and other teams will be faced with the harsh reality that it will now come down to making hard choices ... It could very likely be Forsberg or Sakic in this case for the Av's

If the Av's do lose Forsberg as a Cap casualty, would your position still remain that former Big Market teams are still as strong as before, or conceed the point that a significant lose like this would certainly change their team ??

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
you're searching around for the word....

Jaded-Fan said:

I'll give you a hand....

"They are being hypocrits"

That being said in my nicest Family Guy high inoffencive voice.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Jaded-Fan said:

I'm pretty sure I've never argued in favor of the Avs having an equal shot at #1. I'm a proponent of a weighted lottery.

That said, if we end up getting that pick I'm not going to be tearing myself up with guilt over it. ;)

X0ssbar

Jaded-Fan said:

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well but I didn't want to open that can of worms..

Now that its open though...Forsberg, Sakic, Blake, Foot, Tanguay, Heduk... yeah, they would have definitely been bottom feeders this year plus next.. the NHL should just give Crosby to 'em.. :sarcasm:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Messenger said:
Not all people are supporting that .. Posters that are Pro-Game, suggest that in the NEW NHL .. Avs and other teams will be faced with the harsh reality that it will now come down to making hard choices ... It could very likely be Forsberg or Sakic in this case for the Av's

If the Av's do lose Forsberg as a Cap casualty, would your position still remain that former Big Market teams are still as strong as before, or conceed the point that a significant lose like this would certainly change their team ??

Not even close. Avs could lose Forsberg and Sakic and still have a better team than any of the bottom five of 2003-4. That is the point. First, them losing anyone is a huge if and an unlikely one. Second, the difference between top to bottom is not one or two players, it is fairly huge and dispersed pretty widely through the teams. There is no scenerio where next year the Avs, Toronto or anyone else similarly situated will be equivilent of the truly sad-sack teams who were rebuilding 2003-4 and are still rebuilding.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
everyone knew the lockout and a semi hard lower cap was coming, if you didn't prepare for it then its bad management on your teams part.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I would hazard a guess that Sakic and Blake would take paycuts to make it work... as would Foote and a few others...

If Sakic and Blake take the 2 million they got paid during the lockout and subtract it from their pay over the next 2 years..
= 4 Million over 2 years

Minus another mill a piece for budget crunching

= 4 million over 2 years

Ask Tanguay and Hejduk to take 300k less each per year on contracts

= 1.2 million over 2 years

Ask Foote to take 400k less per year

= 800k over 2 years

Thats 10 million to pay out to Foppa over 2 seasons, what I think his Damaged Self is worth in a Salary Cap system....If need be, the 3rd year of the contract could be backloaded a bit...

I think Foppa with the Avs could work, but he needs to take a major paycut

A) Its just the nature of a Cap world

B) Being a major injury risk, in that cap world you cannot invest too much in something that might not be a sure bet to play for you each and every night

C) A few guys will need to take paycuts/rework contracts to make this work as well

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Drury_Sakic said:
I would hazard a guess that Sakic and Blake would take paycuts to make it work... as would Foote and a few others...

C) A few guys will need to take paycuts/rework contracts to make this work as well

This is exactly what has the NHLPA's knickers in a knot - players playing for the love of a team/game instead of signing the best possible deal for money they no longer need in order to raise the benchmark.

It can have a reverse-trickle effect, with all UFA's becoming devalued in comparison to a Forsberg's new level.

We'll see if practice and theory meet under the new system. :)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Drury_Sakic said:

If Sakic and Blake take the 2 million they got paid during the lockout and subtract it from their pay over the next 2 years..
= 4 Million over 2 years

Minus another mill a piece for budget crunching

= 4 million over 2 years

Ask Tanguay and Hejduk to take 300k less each per year on contracts

= 1.2 million over 2 years

Ask Foote to take 400k less per year

= 800k over 2 years

Thats 10 million to pay out to Foppa over 2 seasons, what I think his Damaged Self is worth in a Salary Cap system....If need be, the 3rd year of the contract could be backloaded a bit...

I think Foppa with the Avs could work, but he needs to take a major paycut

A) Its just the nature of a Cap world

B) Being a major injury risk, in that cap world you cannot invest too much in something that might not be a sure bet to play for you each and every night

Why would those players take less salary?Are those players going to get that money back?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
this is what is gonna make trading and signing new players under a cap so interesting

they got 30 mil tied up in 11 players then having to sign 11 players to contracts that equal no more than 10 mil (assuming a generous 40 mil cap)

we'll find out which players are more valuable to their team and players they'll let go

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The Messenger said:

Players are often being moved for salary reasons...to meet a cap will be no different. If there isn't room for a Forsberg within their salary budget they could make room by moving someone else.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Chili said:
Players are often being moved for salary reasons...to meet a cap will be no different. If there isn't room for a Forsberg within their salary budget they could make room by moving someone else.

Yes, welcome to the reality of the other half of the league for the past 10 years. I'll have no sympathy for Colorado in this case.

I expect you'll see lots of deferred payments. Things like "my salary is 2 million, 2.5 million, then 10 million payable after I retire". Hopefully, they close all these loopholes.

BTW, Would it kill the guy to make up his mind?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
PecaFan said:
I'll have no sympathy for Colorado in this case.
In a shocker of all shockers, a fan from Vancouver has no sympathy for Colorado. ;) Just kidding around. Man, I miss the season, and the terrific developing rivalry between the Avs and Canucks that we should be watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad