Formula 1: Drive to Survive documentary

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
I've rewatched the 89 season and now into the 91 season on youtube. James Hunt would have been dynamite on a show like drive to survive.

Mansell got a bit upset with Erik Comas of Ligier in qualifying. Comas' team mate Thierry Boutsen said every driver in a top team should drive a Ligier for 1 weekend a year so they would know what it was like. Hunt said "it would entertain all of us if everyone had to have a weekend in a Ligier."

Not sure what Guy Ligier would think of that from his number 1 driver but it was just one of the many funny comments with James in the booth.
I watched the 1992 season review yesterday, it was awesome.

Best parts were when Senna forced Mansell to crash in qualifying and then he played silly buggers with young Schumacher with Schumacher saying "thats not the way a three time world champion should conduct himself".

Senna was such an stubborn, competitive personality. I miss this guy so much.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I've rewatched the 89 season and now into the 91 season on youtube. James Hunt would have been dynamite on a show like drive to survive.

Mansell got a bit upset with Erik Comas of Ligier in qualifying. Comas' team mate Thierry Boutsen said every driver in a top team should drive a Ligier for 1 weekend a year so they would know what it was like. Hunt said "it would entertain all of us if everyone had to have a weekend in a Ligier."

Not sure what Guy Ligier would think of that from his number 1 driver but it was just one of the many funny comments with James in the booth.

The reviews, I suppose? Or the complete races? I went thru all of them starting from 1981, currently at 2000 (and that review is awful).
Also, I strongly suggest reading this ressource as you go along with the reviews (or even the full races, if that's what you happen to watch) :

And from what I remember, that wasn't even the worse Ligier.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I watched the 1992 season review yesterday, it was awesome.

Best parts were when Senna forced Mansell to crash in qualifying and then he played silly buggers with young Schumacher with Schumacher saying "thats not the way a three time world champion should conduct himself".

Senna was such an stubborn, competitive personality. I miss this guy so much.

Judging at the reviews, Senna was ... well, he was something of prick, really. Good kind of prick (a prime example of bad kind of prick would be Schumacher), but a prick nonetheless. Mansell was more likeable than I remembered (and more brain-fart prone - nonsense at Estoril, anyone?). Both him and Prost were lucky that their respective car was so dominant in 1992 and 1993, because they were both past their primes. At least Mansell got to win in 1992 the title he really should've won in 1986, while Prost got to win in 1993 the title he really, but really should've won in 1988 (the one he ended up losing despite having cumulated the most points).

Reactions: PanniniClaus

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I firmly believe that Max is likely the fastest driver in F1 if all things are equal.

Hamilton, however, has the mind, maturity and experience that is unrivaled right now. So while Max can likely take him on pace alone, Hamilton's likely got a mental edge that definitely evens the playing field.

Yep. Max quickest, Hamilton best (as of last season at least).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just finished season 1.....

Observations (from the perspective of a lapsed fan)......

I liked the French kid Esteban and the German Nico (who I know is not gonna drive this year) - they seemed like the most down to earth, relatable drivers. Also the Renault principal seemed like a very decent guy. Given Estaban has signed with Renault and as a died in the wool Francophile I will adopt them as my team when F1 starts up again.

Too bad Hamilton barely featured although I guess the documentary makers figured all of the intrigue and storylines were in the middle of the pack teams.

I had no idea the points system was so radically different - I recall it being 9/6/4/3/2/1 then moving up to 10 points for a win and that was with 26+ cars on the grid.

Looking forward to binging season 2 and then the 2020 season thereafter. If the goal of the doc was to attract new or lapsed fans its done its job for me.

Esteban Ocon is definitely a guy who got a lot of hate for reasons I genuinely can't fathom (well, there's actually two things I can see : The Verstappen incident, and he's French).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I must sadly admit that I never thought of watching The Drive to Survive, basically because I was afraid it would end up being a tasteless blend of Reality Shows and Telenovelas.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Esteban Ocon is definitely a guy who got a lot of hate for reasons I genuinely can't fathom (well, there's actually two things I can see : The Verstappen incident, and he's French).

I think most of the F1 world was fairly pro Ocon until the Verstappen incident. It's not even the incident that bothered me (though I didn't love it) - his attitude after the fact was iffy. I definitely wouldn't rule out the French thing though. Some people enjoyed Gasly failing with Red Bull a bit too much and...well...French.

I'm really interested to see how he does next to Ricciardo though. He's got potential.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think most of the F1 world was fairly pro Ocon until the Verstappen incident. It's not even the incident that bothered me (though I didn't love it) - his attitude after the fact was iffy. I definitely wouldn't rule out the French thing though. Some people enjoyed Gasly failing with Red Bull a bit too much and...well...French.

I'm really interested to see how he does next to Ricciardo though. He's got potential.

Let's just say that lots of people started making excuses for Sergio Perez at the exact moment where Ocon joined Force India.
And Perez, for all his qualities, never was a clean driver.

I reckon that, if there are issues between Ocon and Ricciardo, Ocon will quickly lose the benefit of doubt though.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Perez is clean, man.

Sure. He made a few moves that could have killed Ocon but that's just racing, baby!

:sarcasm:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ocon not getting a seat in 2019 was one of the most ridiculous things in recent years. Despite finishing below Perez in points in 2018 I have no problem saying he was the better driver that season. He's pretty stubborn and has a bunch of growing up to do but apart from Max and Charles I don't think we've really had a rookie who's done as good as him lately.

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
Judging at the reviews, Senna was ... well, he was something of prick, really. Good kind of prick (a prime example of bad kind of prick would be Schumacher), but a prick nonetheless.

I see many similarities with Jose Mourinho 2004-2010, they both have that rich Latin playboy entitlement type of aura. Petulant, arrogant, threw tantrums and bratty but just charismatic and fun enough that you don't really hold it against them.

With that said I just have to change my avatar to the great man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad