Formula 1: Drive to Survive documentary

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's quite a bit overdramatized and if you're into F1 you'll definitely know what narratives they're trying to push. I've said it a few times but I find it better for people who are getting to know F1, rather than hardcore fans.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's quite a bit overdramatized and if you're into F1 you'll definitely know what narratives they're trying to push. I've said it a few times but I find it better for people who are getting to know F1, rather than hardcore fans.

But I was told by Netflix that Max Verstappen is a borderline untalented entitled goon who forced Ricciardo out of Red Bull.

Surely that's true?!

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
I binge watched the Williams documentary this afternoon and the first 5 episodes of season 1.

I havent followed F1 for many years. Grew up a massive Williams fan (my heyday of watching F1 was the Mansell/Piquet/Patrese years of 1986-92) but never read up on any of Franks bio/history... The doc was utterly fascinating, clearly eats, sleeps, breathes motor racing. The way that his operation was hanging by a thread through some very lean years in the 70s but he just soldiered on demonstrates what a tough SOB he was. Mere mortals would have quit if they were in his shoes.

As for the F1 doc. Im really enjoying it. I recall Verstappens dad racing bitd so its neat to see his son and Carlos Sainz son too for that matter. Some good storylines in there - the tension between Renault and Red Bull over engines was interesting.... Renault principal looks at Red Bull as upstarts without pedigree or tradition.

Best part of it all was my 11 year old daughter watched with me and really got into, so its made an F1 fan out of her.

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
Just finished season 1.....

Observations (from the perspective of a lapsed fan)......

I liked the French kid Esteban and the German Nico (who I know is not gonna drive this year) - they seemed like the most down to earth, relatable drivers. Also the Renault principal seemed like a very decent guy. Given Estaban has signed with Renault and as a died in the wool Francophile I will adopt them as my team when F1 starts up again.

Too bad Hamilton barely featured although I guess the documentary makers figured all of the intrigue and storylines were in the middle of the pack teams.

I had no idea the points system was so radically different - I recall it being 9/6/4/3/2/1 then moving up to 10 points for a win and that was with 26+ cars on the grid.

Looking forward to binging season 2 and then the 2020 season thereafter. If the goal of the doc was to attract new or lapsed fans its done its job for me.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Too bad Hamilton barely featured although I guess the documentary makers figured all of the intrigue and storylines were in the middle of the pack teams.
Mercedes and Ferrari didn't want to be featured in season 1, thus the lack of content from them. They're both in season 2 though.

Reactions: AngloHab

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
Mercedes and Ferrari didn't want to be featured in season 1, thus the lack of content from them. They're both in season 2 though.
Thanks. I watched the first 3 episodes of season 2 - interesting the Haas sponsorship thing. I read about it and it seems that they don't even manufacture/distribute the drink ???

Its too bad because that livery was really cool - like the Lotus car.

Reactions: DaveG

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Just finished season 2. I'm ready for some racing.

I have been rewatching 1989 on youtube... I started watching in 1990...this has given me context I never had. The pure hate between Prost and Senna. Prost and McLaren probably even more so.

Reactions: DaveG and AngloHab

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
Just finished season 2. I'm ready for some racing.

+1.

As far as Senna v Prost rivalry goes Senna the documentary is well worth watching if you haven't already seen it.

I just read on twitter that Williams just took out a loan of £50 milion (with an institution based in Ontario) to stay afloat and put up pretty much their entire collection of cars as collateral. It would be a terrible shame the day Williams jack it in - to me they are an institution. It would be the same as Habs or Red Wings going out of business.

Reactions: DaveG

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
On closer inspection it is new driver Latifi's old man who has loaned Williams the money to keep going...

Another doc worth watching looks like the Ford v Ferrari Le Mans one. Will give that a watch tomorrow.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
+1.

As far as Senna v Prost rivalry goes Senna the documentary is well worth watching if you haven't already seen it.

I just read on twitter that Williams just took out a loan of £50 milion (with an institution based in Ontario) to stay afloat and put up pretty much their entire collection of cars as collateral. It would be a terrible shame the day Williams jack it in - to me they are an institution. It would be the same as Habs or Red Wings going out of business.
Never did see that. I would like to.

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
Never did see that. I would like to.

I watched it for the second time today - it is a great documentary.

It really captures the spirit of Senna, not just the racer but also the man. For me Senna is one of the most magical sportsmen..... He seemed at times to be spoiled and entitled, petulant but then at the same time he was so gifted, intelligent and caring and passionate. As a Mansell fan I wanted to dislike him because he was competing against my guy but I could not.......

I'm still so sad that he passed away because he would have contributed so much more to the world in these past 26 years. The world became a lesser place in his absence.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ive been reading over the F1 posts and you seem to be pretty informed on whats going on.

I only got hooked with drive to survive and have been watching races on youtube since then. Even convinced my girlfriend to possible tag along to a race in 2021 with me in Europe.

I'm new to the sport, but I see Hamilton, Verstappen, Leclerc as the top 3 going forward talent wise. Of course it depends on that car they're in and it seems mercedes figured out the hybrid stuff far ahead of everyone else.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ive been reading over the F1 posts and you seem to be pretty informed on whats going on.

I only got hooked with drive to survive and have been watching races on youtube since then. Even convinced my girlfriend to possible tag along to a race in 2021 with me in Europe.

I'm new to the sport, but I see Hamilton, Verstappen, Leclerc as the top 3 going forward talent wise. Of course it depends on that car they're in and it seems mercedes figured out the hybrid stuff far ahead of everyone else.
Drive to Survive has really gotten a bunch of new fans for F1 which is nice to see.

I agree with your top 3. Although Leclerc still has a bit more to prove than Lewis and Max, having been on a top team for just one season. I think it's safe to say that after Lewis gets older and eventually starts fading away Max and Charles are going to be the the top 2 drivers.

F1's official Youtube channel has started to show classic races, a couple a week, which I really suggest watching if you just have the time. In a couple of hours they'll show the 2008 British GP, arguably the greatest drive in Hamilton's career.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Drive to Survive has really gotten a bunch of new fans for F1 which is nice to see.

I agree with your top 3. Although Leclerc still has a bit more to prove than Lewis and Max, having been on a top team for just one season. I think it's safe to say that after Lewis gets older and eventually starts fading away Max and Charles are going to be the the top 2 drivers.

F1's official Youtube channel has started to show classic races, a couple a week, which I really suggest watching if you just have the time. In a couple of hours they'll show the 2008 British GP, arguably the greatest drive in Hamilton's career.
In the same car with the same strategy, who comes out on top? Lewis or Max.

max has won me over with how he drives

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

I think Max at this point would be quicker. The question is how he'd handle a 20 race long title fight. Max has quite often failed to see the big picture in races, although he has grown a lot mentally, especially last season. Also something to take into consideration is that when you get under the skin of Lewis, you can really make him vulnerable. The past three seasons with Bottas as his team mate, Lewis has made very few mistakes, but with Rosberg in 2014-16 he was much more prone to them. And it was quite clear to the public that Rosberg and Hamilton really didn't like each other.

In conclusion I think Max would be quicker at this point but whether he'd be consistent enough through 20 races remains to be been.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I've rewatched the 89 season and now into the 91 season on youtube. James Hunt would have been dynamite on a show like drive to survive.

Mansell got a bit upset with Erik Comas of Ligier in qualifying. Comas' team mate Thierry Boutsen said every driver in a top team should drive a Ligier for 1 weekend a year so they would know what it was like. Hunt said "it would entertain all of us if everyone had to have a weekend in a Ligier."

Not sure what Guy Ligier would think of that from his number 1 driver but it was just one of the many funny comments with James in the booth.

Reactions: MXD and AngloHab

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

I firmly believe that Max is likely the fastest driver in F1 if all things are equal.

Hamilton, however, has the mind, maturity and experience that is unrivaled right now. So while Max can likely take him on pace alone, Hamilton's likely got a mental edge that definitely evens the playing field.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I've rewatched the 89 season and now into the 91 season on youtube. James Hunt would have been dynamite on a show like drive to survive.

Mansell got a bit upset with Erik Comas of Ligier in qualifying. Comas' team mate Thierry Boutsen said every driver in a top team should drive a Ligier for 1 weekend a year so they would know what it was like. Hunt said "it would entertain all of us if everyone had to have a weekend in a Ligier."

Not sure what Guy Ligier would think of that from his number 1 driver but it was just one of the many funny comments with James in the booth.
Where are you watching these races?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad