In Memoriam Former pro hockey player/management deaths (Dave Forbes)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Oh boy. I fear that was one of our forum members, @mbhhofr, who repeatedly let on that he was an old linesman/referee. His username suggests "Manitoba Hockey Hall of Famer" and he was last online on October 11. The location in his profile says Las Vegas and the online obituaries of Morley Meyers do indeed suggest he spent his last years in Las Vegas.

Confirmation:

I played up to the age of 13. Didn't make the Bantam team so I took up reffing and eventually got to NHL for a cup of coffee as a linesman. Experience, thirty-five years, working at every level, and selected to work the 1959 Memorial Cup between the Winnipeg Braves and Peterborough Petes.

I met the Rocket and got to shake his hand in 1953. One week later I started what was to become a 35 year Officiating career.

In 2001, I was inducted into the Manitoba Hockey Hall Of Fame and and got to meet and shake the hand of Sugar Jim Henry who is also an Inductee.

I attended Vern Buffey's Referee School in 1968. I had my sideburns down bellow my ears. Scotty Morrison who was the referee-in-chief of the NHL told me that I would be an emergency replacement Linesman in Minnesota.

Was 71 years of age in January 2011, so the age adds up too.

I'm 71. I was 19 when I got to be a Linesman in the Manitoba Jr. League and a month and a half later I was a Linesman in Pro hockey, in the Western Hockey League. The end of the season, the Memorial Cup.

A downer that he has passed away.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Oh boy. I fear that was one of our forum members, @mbhhofr, who repeatedly let on that he was an old linesman/referee. His username suggests "Manitoba Hockey Hall of Famer" and he was last online on October 11. The location in his profile says Las Vegas and the online obituaries of Morley Meyers do indeed suggest he spent his last years in Las Vegas.

Did this gentleman ever post on this section of the board? If so, is there a way to see some of his posts somewhere?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Did this gentleman ever post on this section of the board? If so, is there a way to see some of his posts somewhere?

He did post on an infrequent basis, often relating stories of his time working as an official (he crossed paths with a lot of notable people in his day). But it looks like you can't search them through his profile, likely due to the board moving a few years ago.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
157299658_3606436586146315_4816241882373884987_o.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Bobby Plager died in a car accident.

Blues legend Bobby Plager dies in car accident

ST. LOUIS- The St. Louis Blues confirmed the tragic news that legendary player Bobby Plager died on Wednesday afternoon at the age of 78. KMOV-TV in St. Louis first reported Plager's death, saying he passed away in a car accident on I-64.

The Blues released a statement saying in part, "Today, our hearts are broken, but one day they will be warmed again by memories of his character, humor and strong love for his family, our community, the St. Louis Blues and generations of fans who will miss him dearly."
Plager starred for the Blues for 11 years starting with the team's inaugural season in 1967-68 until his retirement following the 1977-78 season. A fan-favorite who scored 20 goals and racked up 760 penalty minutes in a Blues uniform, his iconic number 5 was retired on February 2, 2017 alongside his brother Barclay's number 8.
==============

==============

No words need to accompany this picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iapyi

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
If ever a member of the St. Louis Blues organization deserved the nickname “Mr. Blue,” it was Bobby Plager. Such heartbreaking news to hear of his passing.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
When I was growing up, Bobby Schmautz was my favourite hockey player.
I was 5 when Vancouver got their team... and we didn't get to draft Gilbert Perreault and for most of my childhood we didn't have a lot of good players. But we had Bobby Schmautz. He was a feisty little guy willing to do what it took to agitate the other team, but not afraid of dropping the gloves if it came to that. Plus he could score you 30+ goals.
He seemed like one of the few Canucks that other teams actually had to "deal with".

Then we traded him away for Chris Oddleifson, who was pretty good... I guess. I was heartbroken, though. I even stopped following hockey for a couple of years. Then we got him back for a last hurrah, and he was still pretty good, but he retired soon thereafter.

RIP Schmautz-y

schmautzb.jpg

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Schmautz's OT goal in game 4 of that 1978 MTL series was the Bruins' last Cup Final home win until 2011 (didn't win a home game vs EDM in 88/90

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
XU6LBUBJKQ3ZOVU3UZXD6C4RU4.jpg

John Peirson, a Bruins right winger in the 1940s and ’50s, and in later years a sharp-eyed analyst on the club’s broadcast team, died on Friday at age 95.

His grandson, Andy Emslie, confirmed Peirson’s death in an e-mail exchange with a Globe reporter Saturday morning. A former member of the club’s front office also confirmed being informed of Peirson’s passing on Friday.

Born in Winnipeg, Peirson enjoyed a 10-plus-year NHL career, all as a member of the Bruins, joining them soon after World War II and playing into the late ’50s.

Peirson collected 326 points in 544 games. Peirson did not play on any of the franchise’s six Stanley Cup championship teams, but he was in the WBZ radio broadcast booth when the Bruins won the Cup in 1970 with Bobby Orr’s dramatic overtime goal.

Good natured and with a magnificent eye for on-ice detail and the game’s nuances, Peirson partnered for years in the WSBK-TV (Ch. 38) broadcast booth with legendary play-by-play man Fred Cusick. Peirson had an uncanny knack for spotting the slightest details in a play, and often would share those details to viewers even before the broadcast replayed the video on the screen.

Reactions: Nunymare

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Soviet veteran Viktor Shuvalov has passed away a week ago. He was 97.

More unexpected: former Czech player Miroslav Fryčer (more than 400 NHL games, most of them for Toronto Maple Leafs) has died at 61.

Last edited:

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Soviet veteran Viktor Shuvalov has passed away a week ago. He was 97.

More unexpected: former Czech player Miroslav Fryčer (more than 400 NHL games, most of them for Toronto Maple Leafs) has died at 61.

I remember very well when Frycer defected.

I saw him play in-person multiple times during his stint in the AHL, and enjoyed watching him when he played for the Nords, then the Leafs. He played on a line with Peter and Anton Stastny for a period of several games.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Jim Johnson, who played on the expansion Flyers and elsewhere, passed May 4. He was part of blockbuster deal in which Ross Lonsberry and Bill Flett were acquired.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad