Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Wally Harris)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Rene Robert has passed away.

Rene Robert, Sabres 'French Connection' right winger, dies at 72

Rene Robert, the right winger on the Buffalo Sabres' famed "French Connection" line of the 1970s, died Tuesday after suffering a heart attack in Florida on June 15. He was 72.

Robert had been hospitalized in Port Charlotte, Fla., and underwent multiple procedures since he was stricken.

Robert was an unknown 23-year-old when the Sabres acquired him from Pittsburgh on March 4, 1972, for the ultra-popular Eddie Shack, who was 35. Robert was eventually placed on a line with center Gilbert Perreault and left wing Rick Martin and they became the focal point of Buffalo's unlikely 1973 playoff team and the 1975 Stanley Cup finalists.

The French Connection, a name bestowed on the line that was a takeoff of the 1971 Gene Hackman thriller of the same title, became the NHL's dominant trio throughout the '70s as the Sabres made the playoffs six times during the decade.​

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not a former player by any means, but Blue Jackets goalie Matiss Kivlenieks died yesterday. Conflicting reports about cause of death, with some saying he fell and hit his head, others saying he was hit in the chest with a firework. I think it may be a combination of both (hit in chest, then fell and hit his head). Either way, rough adding a 24-year-old to this list.

CBJ's Kivlenieks, 24, dies in fireworks-related fall

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Not a former player by any means, but Blue Jackets goalie Matiss Kivlenieks died yesterday. Conflicting reports about cause of death, with some saying he fell and hit his head, others saying he was hit in the chest with a firework. I think it may be a combination of both (hit in chest, then fell and hit his head). Either way, rough adding a 24-year-old to this list.

CBJ's Kivlenieks, 24, dies in fireworks-related fall

Chest trauma from firework per autopsy. RIP

Reactions: kaiser matias

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Bryan "Bugsy" Watson 1942-2021

Also represented Canadiens, Red Wings, Seals, Penguins and Blues in NHL as well as Cincinnati Stingers in WHA. A total of 878 NHL games.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Norman Lowe, who played 3 games with the Rangers in 1949-50 (according to NHL.com; other sites say 4 games) died on June 29, aged 93:

Vernon hockey icon dies at 93 - Vernon Morning Star

norman-lowe-1949-2248.jpg

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Sad to hear about the news of Jay Greenberg’s passing. He was a legendary hockey writer and journalist whose work appeared in The Hockey News, Sports Ilustrated, The Philadelphia Daily News, The NY Post and Toronto Sun among others. He also authored multiple hockey books over the years including two fantastic history books on the Philadelphia Flyers, and worked with Mark Howe on his autobiography.

He was a former Elmer Ferguson Award recipient. RIP, Jay.

7EB4339F-F4CD-45C4-9223-BAFB8334C252.jpeg

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Apparently Jay Greenberg died of West Nile Virus.

I especially remember Jay when he wrote for The Hockey News in the 1980s. And he also moved to Toronto and wrote for the Toronto Sun for a while in the '90s.

I remember that he wrote with a real sense of humor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad