OT: Former Pred Talk

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I know it wasn't a trade, but thanks for Smitty. Boston loves him already.

But this is the best. Thought y'all would like to see it. For those who don't know, A.J. is a local Boston kid who got paralyzed in a hockey game Tuesday night.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I know it wasn't a trade, but thanks for Smitty. Boston loves him already.

But this is the best. Thought y'all would like to see it. For those who don't know, A.J. is a local Boston kid who got paralyzed in a hockey game Tuesday night.

Hopefully he keeps it up for you for the rest of the season and the playoffs. Once he goes cold he goes really cold and he has never been good in the playoffs.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hopefully he keeps it up for you for the rest of the season and the playoffs. Once he goes cold he goes really cold and he has never been good in the playoffs.
I know he's streaky. But I'm hoping he's cured now. :laugh:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Really? He wasn’t a NHL talent

He looked like a NHL player in Milwaukee. He had 36 G and 52 A in two seasons for the Ads. That should work out to 10 goals or so a year in the NHL. He only scored 3.

He would have played more than 66 games for Colorado if his arm wasn't broken in the third game of his first season. Maybe he never fully recovered from the physical and/or mental trauma of that awful accident. Or maybe he was a AAAA AHL player like Darren Haydar or Simon Gamache.

Reactions: triggrman
Jul 12, 2007
Bruins have a way of getting more out of journeyman guys, and putting out a tight team that is better than the “sum of its parts”.
Peverley anyone ?
He was immediately better in BOS.
They turned Chara into a force, after he was kind of a goof in OTT and NYI.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Bruins have a way of getting more out of journeyman guys, and putting out a tight team that is better than the “sum of its parts”.
Peverley anyone ?

I mean, was Smith really a journeyman? He was a solid 2nd line winger who put up 20 goals a year pretty much every season, he's 5th in goals and 6th in points for our franchise, plus he's only ever played for us so he doesn't really get to claim the journeyman title.

Jul 12, 2007
I guess Smith has had several 20 goal seasons, didn’t realize it. Yet, he broke 40 points only three times.
Seems kind of journeyman-ish.
Plus, I always got the impression that fans saw all that speed and decent talent, and thought that he never put it together.

Jul 12, 2007
But my original point still is that we see quite a few guys leave here and do a lot better elsewhere. Girard, Fiala, Dubnyk, Peverley, Hornquist, Radulov. I guess we’ll see with Watson and Smith.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
But my original point still is that we see quite a few guys leave here and do a lot better elsewhere. Girard, Fiala, Dubnyk, Peverley, Hornquist, Radulov. I guess we’ll see with Watson and Smith.

A bit of an odd list:

Girard played five games with us and looked on track to be what he ended up becoming
Dubnyk played two games with us and was a total dumpster fire prior to coming to us.
Hornqvist's highest point total was with us.
Radulov is hard to even compare given his whole situation.

But yeah Fiala and Peverley did better I guess.

Reactions: PredsV82

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Peverley anyone ?
They turned Chara into a force, after he was kind of a goof in OTT and NYI.
From all accounts, Boston has a very tight-knit group of guys. That's what we hear from pretty much every new guy. Chara and Bergeron established a pretty good culture there.

I miss Peverley. A shame his career had to end due to health.

By the way, I kind of keep an eye on the Preds since I live just outside Nashville. :)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Girard - Prospect when traded and only played a few games. We knew he was going to be good then though so it's not like it should surprise anyone that he became really good.

Fiala - had a great season last year. He's off to a mediocre start this year. He's on a 31 point pace (for full season) which is worse then his last full season and the season we traded him in.

DubStep - He's been all over the map in his career. Had some good years as an Oiler, then the dumpster fire year we got him before returning back to form the following year. He came to Nashville during the statistical low of his career. There wasn't really anywhere to go but up. Now he's back to dumpster fire. Sunrise - sunset.

Hornqvist - stayed in the high 40s to low 50s points with us, stayed in that region with a better offensive team (Pitts), off to a hot start in Florida. Can't really say where he'll end up this season but I doubt he stays at a PPG pace

Radulov - The underlying situation here makes this a hard comparison. Left us after his 2nd nhl season and getting 26G 32A in 81 Games. He very well could've become one of the best forwards to play for us if he didn't jump to the KHL.

Smith and Watson will be hard to tell. I think Watson will get more opportunity in Ottawa than he would here. Smith is on pace to land somewhere around where he was in the 17-18 season with us. He's always been just a really streaky player. He had 52 and 51 point seasons with us, his current would put him around 54 points for a full season. So if he keeps it up he might have an ever so slightly better production then two years he had here.

Peverley - definitely got better.

Jul 12, 2007
A bit of an odd list:

Girard played five games with us and looked on track to be what he ended up becoming
Dubnyk played two games with us and was a total dumpster fire prior to coming to us.
Hornqvist's highest point total was with us.
Radulov is hard to even compare given his whole situation.

But yeah Fiala and Peverley did better I guess.
I didn’t include guys like Suter, Jones, Weber, etc because everybody knew how good they were before they left, and they were let go for different reasons.
All the guys I listed were simply made better by other teams, not by us. No reason to muddy up that simple truth.
One thing I got wrong was Pevs got better on ATL, not as much BOS.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I didn’t include guys like Suter, Jones, Weber, etc because everybody knew how good they were before they left, and they were let go for different reasons.
All the guys I listed were simply made better by other teams, not by us. No reason to muddy up that simple truth.
One thing I got wrong was Pevs got better on ATL, not as much BOS.

I disagree on a lot of the guys I mentioned but sure whatever.

Jul 12, 2007
We got Turris For Girardi, that’s the problem. It doesn’t really help if somebody knew he would be good.
Dubnyk simply had some fine years as a starter, after we didn’t give him a chance and dropped him like dirt.
Radulov is simply what we wish we’d had for the last 10 years. Preds Mgt gets the credit for not setting him up for success. Drafting a guy is the easy part, you only have to say his name.
Hornquist went from just a loveable undersized guy, who took the beating in the crease to score some .... to being a big cog on 2 cup winners, playing great alongside some HOFers.

Jul 12, 2007
In 9 years ...... Smith topped out at 52 and 51 (that’s POINTS, not goals lol). Then once in the 40’s. He doesn’t do assists. Looks like his speed gets him odd-rush goals, but he doesn’t do much else. That’s journeyman, and he goes to 10 goals per season when he’s lost a step. Which could be any time at 10 years.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Rangers fan here stopping by just to say Blackwell has been one of our best players so far this season. Last night he was on in overtime and made some incredible defensive plays on Eichel and then laid it on the tape for Lafreniére for his first goal, the game winner.

What should we expect from him based on how he played in NSH?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Rangers fan here stopping by just to say Blackwell has been one of our best players so far this season. Last night he was on in overtime and made some incredible defensive plays on Eichel and then laid it on the tape for Lafreniére for his first goal, the game winner.

Who?

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

Good for Blackwell, I always liked him. He didn't play a ton in Nashville (~11 TOI for 27 games) but he produced well and I thought he could be a really good energy-type bottom 6 player.

Reactions: FoxyClean

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Plays hard, past that can't tell you much. Never was really given the opportunity with a line that could produce.

Reactions: FoxyClean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad