Former Ottawa Senators executive sues Melnyk, team for $1.55M

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Obviously from the outside, there's very little conclusively we can comment on. There's just too much smoke around him (Melnyk) at this point and it's going to negatively impact the organization more and more I fear.

What I will say, or rather, predict, is that ownership-wise, we may look back on the Melnyk era as dark times in the organization's history. I appreciate that he bought and stabilized the franchise in Ottawa post-Bryden, but for years now it's been nothing but cheapness, being a loud-mouth, meddling, alienating (both fans and very likely players around the league and within the organization) and being more of a distraction than anything.

I don't disagree with the concept of canning a high-paid employee who isn't delivering, but maybe Melnyk should swallow his pride and look at himself in the mirror as the root cause of what ails the Sens. I'll always support the Sens for my love of the team regardless of who owns them, but Melnyk is a giant turn-off and when this kind of inter-office stuff starts up now, it's turning into a special kind of poison.

I used to officiate a lot of Cyril Leeder's son's minor hockey games way back when and from knowing the guy in that context, Melnyk really f***ed up turfing him. He is a great man. I hope OSEG brings him into their fold. Obviously, the politics of his firing is starting to reveal itself more with this coming to light. The last thing I'll say about Melnyk's tenure as owner is this: the REDBLACKS (whether they won a Grey Cup last season or not) have shown more of a commitment to winning in 3-seasons than Melnyk has during his entire time as owner of the Sens. We aren't in a good spot for retaining or attracting talent anywhere as long as he's in charge, both because of his attitude and his pocketbook.

OSEG has had its own legal issue to deal with so lets not say there high and mighty compared to Melynk.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
But that's my point some older fans want Ottawa spend like crazy leaving no room for guys like EK one example a couple said we should have signed Lucic over Hoffamn.

The team is projected to spend $74.17M so there isn't a lot of room to spend like crazy with less than $4M in cap space.

In 2019 the Sens will have the space to sign EK, simply because Brassard and Burrows will be gone freeing up $7.5M in cap.

The bigger issue may be convincing EK he wants to be in Ottawa.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The team is projected to spend $74.17M so there isn't a lot of room to spend like crazy with less than $4M in cap space.

In 2019 the Sens will have the space to sign EK, simply because Brassard and Burrows will be gone freeing up $7.5M in cap.

The bigger issue may be convincing EK he wants to be in Ottawa.

It likely will come down to money for him.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
OSEG has had its own legal issue to deal with so lets not say there high and mighty compared to Melynk.

Never said they didn't, but compared to Melnyk, yes, they are cleaner. Much cleaner.

Quick addition: I'm not sure why you singled out legal issues. My post was a general observation of the circus-like atmosphere that Melnyk seems to love and consistently be associated with. Different scales obviously, but comparatively, one is a circus and the other is a machine.

Last edited:

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
How are they much cleaner?

Have you at all observed how people like Hunt, Greenberg and Ruddy go about their business? As a group, they are 100 times more polished and professional than Melnyk. Legal proceedings have hampered both, but truthfully, you place the character and moxie of OSEG on the same level as Melnyk?

Perhaps I should ask you: how are they the same?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Have you at all observed how people like Hunt, Greenberg and Ruddy go about their business? As a group, they are 100 times more polished and professional than Melnyk. Legal proceedings have hampered both, but truthfully, you place the character and moxie of OSEG on the same level as Melnyk?

Perhaps I should ask you: how are they the same?

My point is OSEG has major issues and could have many more in the near future with that said the biggest issue is the city election coming up you will see some running for mayor who will make all types of claims most not true but still OSEG will have to be ready to defend.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We end up with a team that I find, right or wrong, boring and one-dimensional, and at odds with all the current trends in hockey

uhmmmm...I think this is very clearly a new trend here in Ottawa brought to us by our new coach. what we've played the few years prior could best be described as exciting but one dimensional offence based hockey

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm not even accusing the management to be racist or anything. It could simply be (and now we're back on topic), that this team doesn't have the resources to go scout players outside the Ottawa region (exaggerating a little, but you get my drift), and to get them on board with coming here before they're drafted (Tarasenko). Hence our collective relief when a guy like Hogberg or Jaros finally accepts to come over. Hence the management's efforts to draft local guys, or even to trade up to draft a guy with ties to the region. (still, doesn't explain letting a guy like Da Costa go for nothing :naughty:)

Back when Melnyk used to give the team more resources, it seems that we were more willing to look outside.

How long ago was tarasenko? for years we were producing more euros than most teams. we've gone the other way a bit....is that really something to complain about? do you really believe we traded up to get Brown because of his father's connection to the region?

Da Costa....quite simply isn't good enough to play in the NHL.....we didn't let him go for anything....he wasn't worth anything in terms of acquiring future NHL assets.
Honestly, maybe he'd be good in a second stint, he's older, maybe a bit physically stronger and the league has become smaller and quicker. But people need to move off this notion that he was some budding star that we discarded.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I mean, it sounds like he's alleging that he has been unjustly terminated for cause in December (in which case he is entitled to pay in lieu of notice), especially given the alleged conflicting performance reviews. There could even be a constructive dismissal claim. And yeah, a pattern or egregious instance of abusive behavior (e.g. sending embarrassing, abusive e-mails) could amount to a breach of faith and fair dealing in the manner of dismissal.

However, this information is all based a news article summary of his side. We haven't seen either side's statement of facts. Still, I think people are trying to draw conclusions about the legitimacy of his allegations without having a grasp of the issues, let alone all the possible facts.

yes, that is pretty much spot on....I am more surprised that wayne scanlan published the article than anything else....I'm betting his future access to team information is less than it's historically been.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
My last comment on this here, since it may be off-topic for this thread.

See, it's not ME focusing on the location of birth, it's this management.

It's you.

As for Karlsson, IIRC the scout (who is interestingly gone now) had to work hard to convince Murray to draft him where he did. He definitely does not fit the profile of this team.
No way, a scout has to convince his boss of his opinion?!
Why didn't all of the other 14 teams ahead of Ottawa draft the player, they must not all be biased and anti-European?
I didn't think Ziba played a boring style. Sure, he didn't dangle his way to a goal, but he had a mean one-timer, and as he was filling out he had the chance to turn into a Bobby Holik type badass. I don't necessarily want every player to be stick-handling. Again, having complementary skills on the team would be nice.

Lol so you admit Zibanejad was boring, but maybe in the future might not be.
Hoffman has a mean one timer, but that's irrelevant cuz NA.
The only one blinding their opinions by location of birth, is you. AKA prejudice.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The Sens will never win a cup as long as Melnyk is the owner of this team, he does not give a **** about us the fans or the team for that matter, he does not care if we win or not, he only care about one think money.

If an owner really wants to win he does everything in his power to make the team better, he has one of the best player in the world in EK and he's not willing to signed players to try to win a cup while EK is in his prime.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The Sens will never win a cup as long as Melnyk is the owner of this team, he does not give a **** about us the fans or the team for that matter, he does not care if we win or not, he only care about one think money.

If an owner really wants to win he does everything in his power to make the team better, he has one of the best player in the world in EK and he's not willing to signed players to try to win a cup while EK is in his prime.

But they are signing players as for he does not care that's the same with every owners not limited to Melyk.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I mean, it sounds like he's alleging that he has been unjustly terminated for cause in December (in which case he is entitled to pay in lieu of notice), especially given the alleged conflicting performance reviews. There could even be a constructive dismissal claim. And yeah, a pattern or egregious instance of abusive behavior (e.g. sending embarrassing, abusive e-mails) could amount to a breach of faith and fair dealing in the manner of dismissal.

However, this information is all based a news article summary of his side. We haven't seen either side's statement of facts. Still, I think people are trying to draw conclusions about the legitimacy of his allegations without having a grasp of the issues, let alone all the possible facts.

Also, in a lawsuit, you have to put your best possible claim forward. You don't know what will come out in discovery and where it may lead. In almost any wrongful dismissal suit you are going to claim bad faith, toxic workplace, harassment, etc. As the suit plods along the focus narrows - some claims are conceded, some are abandoned, and the contentious ones are defined and narrowed a little. When the initial pleadings are filed they always look like this.

I haven't done much employment stuff, but once had one in small claims where we had put forth a terribly weak counterclaim, largely just for show. After about three questions to my client the judge just said "you seriously going to keep going with this?". I quickly dumped it as he had already hated the other side more. Looked good on paper though.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Also, in a lawsuit, you have to put your best possible claim forward. You don't know what will come out in discovery and where it may lead. In almost any wrongful dismissal suit you are going to claim bad faith, toxic workplace, harassment, etc. As the suit plods along the focus narrows - some claims are conceded, some are abandoned, and the contentious ones are defined and narrowed a little. When the initial pleadings are filed they always look like this.

I haven't done much employment stuff, but once had one in small claims where we had put forth a terribly weak counterclaim, largely just for show. After about three questions to my client the judge just said "you seriously going to keep going with this?". I quickly dumped it as he had already hated the other side more. Looked good on paper though.

LOL, thanks for sharing, that is great.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Only mistake he made was keeping GM a bit too long. He does not make the team decisions....

He spends...

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Melnyk surely knows he has no choice but to pay Karlsson what he wants.

If Karlsson leaves, there will be 10,000 fans per game the next year. I would be so bitter that I would seriously consider never going to a Sens game again.

That would cost him far more than having to cough up extra money to pay EK.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Melnyk surely knows he has no choice but to pay Karlsson what he wants.

If Karlsson leaves, there will be 10,000 fans per game the next year. I would be so bitter that I would seriously consider never going to a Sens game again.

That would cost him far more than having to cough up extra money to pay EK.

I could see other teams making low ball offers to EK.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I'm sure this thread will provide a great platform for Melnyk complainers.

Personally, the guy sucked as his job and I think he is sour that he got fired. Not every billionaire is Richard Branson or Hank Scorpio. Not every boss is nice. But you get paid $300k a year, you can find a way to work with a crass, arrogant man, especially when woefully underperforming at your job.

This guy was in charge of sales and marketing? Sens Army, Young and Hungry, United in Red, Light a Mup (the marketing ad that that only ended up working because of a pun), the radio and TV ads.. the guy was lucky he held onto his job for as long as he did.

He received strong performance reviews from Leeder? Then I'm glad they both got the boot.

And god forbid you have to empty your own office garbage can.

Sounds like this guy couldn't take the heat of working closely with a Billionaire that demands results. If I was Melnyk, I'd be pissed off at the "Chief Marketing Officer" too. Melnyk called into question O'Leary's competency and I think that's fine because I doubt he had any.

The guy got rave reviews from Leeder, including top performance evaluations and so on. Maybe it's not O'Leary but rather that this is a fickle market where it's difficult to sell tickets following a down season? Melnyk is very emotive, that's what he should just let Anselmi take care of this stuff these days.

gbl1p

Jun 19, 2003
Ottawa
www.level1productions.com
The guy got rave reviews from Leeder, including top performance evaluations and so on. Maybe it's not O'Leary but rather that this is a fickle market where it's difficult to sell tickets following a down season? Melnyk is very emotive, that's what he should just let Anselmi take care of this stuff these days.

You're very right that it is a fickle (I would say soft) market in that Ottawa has nowhere near the corporate base to pull from versus Montreal and Toronto. Couple that with the fact that those are the two biggest hockey markets in the world with large demographics with a very longstanding affluent tier to draw from. Throw in a century worth of branding and a long history of championships, despite how far back in time that may go.

Ottawa is a government town where the overriding public consumer sentiment is to walk around with their hands out. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but it's the truth. This is the market that the Senators are selling to.

Has nothing to do with the fact that Eugene is a lunatic. He's trying to squeeze blood from a stone. He says and does the wrong things. He provides NO budget to the business operation. Beyond that he is woefully arrogant and absurd. There isn't an advisor in the world that would recommend him behaving the way he does. So obviously he eschews the advice he's paying for. Ruling with an iron fist isn't going to get him anywhere.

Anybody that thinks a marketing guru would swing this market is kidding themselves. Has nothing to do with Peter O'Leary nor the folks that came before him.

Anyways. If the team wins, that will bail him out for a bit!

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You're very right that it is a fickle (I would say soft) market in that Ottawa has nowhere near the corporate base to pull from versus Montreal and Toronto. Couple that with the fact that those are the two biggest hockey markets in the world with large demographics with a very longstanding affluent tier to draw from. Throw in a century worth of branding and a long history of championships, despite how far back in time that may go.

Ottawa is a government town where the overriding public consumer sentiment is to walk around with their hands out. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but it's the truth. This is the market that the Senators are selling to.

Has nothing to do with the fact that Eugene is a lunatic. He's trying to squeeze blood from a stone. He says and does the wrong things. He provides NO budget to the business operation. Beyond that he is woefully arrogant and absurd. There isn't an advisor in the world that would recommend him behaving the way he does. So obviously he eschews the advice he's paying for. Ruling with an iron fist isn't going to get him anywhere.

Anybody that thinks a marketing guru would swing this market is kidding themselves. Has nothing to do with Peter O'Leary nor the folks that came before him.

Anyways. If the team wins, that will bail him out for a bit!

Ottawa does have a fair size corp base just look at the Ottawa high tech sector its on the rebound big time Shopify as one example just announced they will triple work force to well over 2500 many other company have announced big hiring sprees as well and with Ford coming that is a huge company.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad