OT: Former Oilers draft pick Brad Symes takes his own life

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
That's absolutely horrible.

RIP. Hopefully more first responders start seeking medical help if they feel lost.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
PTSD is ****ing horrible. If you haven't met someone with full-blown PTSD it's hard to understand how terrible it is.

I'd rather have a major physical disease than have some of these mental illnesses. I feel for these guys and hope they get all the best treatment that we can offer.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
he was ferences D partner in portland and also one of the greatest, kindest guys you'd ever meet.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
RIP,

PTSD has run through the Military as well at a pretty good pace. For my Dad it was in the late 60's when he went to Egypt to "Peacekeep" for the UN.

Didn't end up being peaceful at all.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
PTSD is ****ing horrible. If you haven't met someone with full-blown PTSD it's hard to understand how terrible it is.

I'd rather have a major physical disease than have some of these mental illnesses. I feel for these guys and hope they get all the best treatment that we can offer.

It IS a big issue and is only really being looked at in the open now. Anyone from journalism knows that there was an unwritten rule for a long time that you werent supposed to report on suicides. suicides,as a whole, were something to keep from the general public. Perhaps there was a morality belief in not discussing it...that it might promote suicides and of course no one wants that on their conscience. Its really a taboo subject. Other times i feel talking about the subject was frowned upon because people should be productive. The result was to insult and guilt people who commit suicide and often those close to them, insult and attack people who seek help, insult and attack those looking for help. When you attack or insult there is always something you are defending or promoting...a system? Profits? Ideals?
First responder PTSD is getting attention because now there are groups paying attention. there is a new sensitivity to the subject. Old mentalities are starting...slowly... to be stripped away. I honestly dont know if it will last. Sad. Budgets and productivity will eventually stomp its importance and the taboo treatment will strengthen again. Its a disgusting reality i think.

To be honest...i feel guilty even talking about the subject... . Its certainly a subject that carries some weight and care. I know the victims also feel that intrenal struggle and debate of opening up to others or keeping it internal. Scared of affecting someone negatively by sharing their own views. Scared of how they might be treated by those people. Scared that another person will be on the edge, and the very person they confide in might be pushed over the edge by the confirmation that another human being is as broken as they are. Scared they cant take the choice to open up back. When they do share...its a debate of how much they want to share. The easiest choice is not to share, to carry the burden themselves, to not open up. I dont think those who suffer from this worry about immature reaction or people saying bad things about them. I think people who suffer this stuff see their problems as almost contageous.

My own opinion is that because of the type of environments and situations first responders are put in, just like soldiers, there is a higher risk (i would even push it to the term certainty) of suffering -at the very least- temporary mental illness. I would also translate that to all people. We are all made the same and we all bleed and we are all fragile in ways. Some might be insulted by this but i have to say; that alot of first responders and many first responders and police officers i meet are very sensitive people who i feel are, through their ability to have a deep empathy, sponges to the situations they are put in. An ability to disconnect from the situations can be taught and often is...but its just a practice of avoidance which cant last. Im not saying first responders are the only sensitive people, nor am i saying not one person who chose to be doctors didnt see dollar signs (or impress parents) or that no people who were a fire fighter didnt want to impress a girl or look good in a uniform, nor did any police officer ever in history give a second thought to having authority. Some choose jobs for different reasons. I can say that i believe far more first responders ive met chose their position to help people and the community and also to be a part of a close group...rather than any other reason.

I have a firm belief that the old way of getting better...to get back to the routine of "life" and focus on that...is completely illconcieved. It is just avoidance. The routine of life...isnt life. The routine of life is a comforting hypnosis. Its familiar repitition. I also think avoidance is taught as a part of the job...the practice of disconnecting oneself. But real life, not this illusion people murk through, real life deserves your full attention. Its unfamiliar because its not the sleepwalk of production we are used to.

Sometimes i wonder if society wasnt in such a race to work for meaningless illusions (and suicide rates are crazy in places like Japan) if we would have mental illness. Also i wonder if the cost of taking mental illness seriously and handling it with respect has a price society and organizations put on it. (immigration for example has alot more to do with the work force and driving the economy than trying to help people that need political asylum or chance at a better life). An absolutely disgusting thought but one that i fear is very real. If these help groups and studies are budgetted to avoid bigger lawsuits which would be incurred for not doing anything. Its a terrible thought about the world we live in and the value SOME put on human life, and dignity...and even more so the immense distress that can be put on a persons very existence. When the cost of supporting and helping is more than the risk of lawsuit...i predict support will evaporate and the old scapegoat and guilt treatment will return. When money is involved humanity is normally not present.

Last edited:

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Very sad news. It sounds like he was a pretty terrific guy. I have a lot of respect for those who work as first responders. It's not something that I think I could do.

As terrible as I'm sure this is for his friends and family, and my heart goes out to them, you have to hope that some good can come out of these types of incidence, and that it will bring more attention to mental illnesses that many people struggle with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad