Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Eller moved to the 2nd line, the birdman has been struggling lately

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Are Dawes and Deitz NHL caliber players ?

I think Dietz can be an NHL player, and I'd be surprised if a team doesn't give him a chance. It was always a mystery to me why we just let him go. Dawes was an NHL level player before he left for the KHL, but was a victim of old school thinking in that bottom six players have to be big, tough defensive players.

Reactions: Fixxer

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Nigel Dawes is 32. He was on the Canadian world Junior Super team in 2005.

Remember when Dawes finnish the season with the Habs. Good times!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Are Dawes and Deitz NHL caliber players ?

well Deitz we might find out next year as I got to think NHL teams will be interested in him. He's 25 and turns 26 in July so a good age to come over and now has 2 KHL seasons under his belt. I thought it was odd that the Habs let him go, I know it was a small sample size but he did have 5 pts in 13 games which is a 32 pt pace. Not saying he would have done that, I recall him needing work on his skating, speed and mobility. I haven't seen him in the KHL so I don't know if he's improved there or not. If he has then I could see him being an NHLer if not perhaps teams won't be that interested.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Recent guys we traded.. Curious to see how Hawkey turns out. Bitten as well.

Hawkey looked good last night, Bitten I think is one of those guys that spends 3 or 4 years in the AHL, gets a cup of coffee in the NHL because of his speed, effort, he's a good fit for a bottom 6 forward that can play all forward positions, is physical despite his frame/lack of size. If he can show some kind of decent offensive game then I could see him making it down the road.

No, they are not.

We'll see on Deitz, he has almost as many assists as the 2nd leading scorer on the team has points. He plays a handful of games in the NHL, puts up solid numbers, spends the next year in the AHL with 2 different teams and then leaves for the KHL for 2 years where he racks up impressive numbers. I could easily see him getting NHL interest this summer since he's just 25, has good size and clearly some offensive upside.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Weber has been better this year, and was better in his first full regular season. PK was great last year and had the solid run to the SCF.

Time will tell but I don’t see any evidence that Weber is declining, at all. Elite d men play well into their late 30s all the time. His game should hold up. He is essentially the same player was was a decade ago, the folks that had him decling were flat out wrong.

PK on the other hand looks pretty slow this year. Check out the thread in the Preds board, he is not having a great year. And for some reason he doesn’t play well with Josi, he seems to need Ekholm. Where as Weber can play with literally anyone.

Time will tell but I’m on record saying this trade looks better as the years go on.
Both are top dmen, PK plays on a far better team with a legit top pairing guy. Weber IMO is still the better player, drop him back in with Josi and he produces more and defends better then PK in same role. Put PK with Mete or Kulak and Habs are a worse team.

Not a popular opinion around here but very defendable.

I don't want to get into the who is the better player or who will be better 5 years down the road. All I could look at is the data I have and to me it says both players are comparable in impact and as of now the trade isn't one sided.

Even last year Weber had 16 points in 26 GP which would be 50 and change over 82 games, Subban had 59 points last year. Of course...26 games isn't representative, I get that but 45-50 points seems to be an easy bet for production for him.

They're comparable talents. I worry about Weber declining at some point but I also worry about Subban's constant injuries that see him miss time as of late.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Tonight is the AHL All-Star Skills Competition and tomorrow the All-Star Game. Former Habs participating are Daniel Carr, Logan Shaw, and Chris Terry. Only player representing Laval is Alex Belzile.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hawkey looked good last night, Bitten I think is one of those guys that spends 3 or 4 years in the AHL, gets a cup of coffee in the NHL because of his speed, effort, he's a good fit for a bottom 6 forward that can play all forward positions, is physical despite his frame/lack of size. If he can show some kind of decent offensive game then I could see him making it down the road.

More interested to see how Hawkey does vs Bitten. I agree about Bitten.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not in my opinion...We don't have many (good) young players in Laval. We have Cale Fleury who will be 20 next year, and the rest will be 23 or older (Evans, Audette, McCarron)...Besides, they're due for a clean up down there. Last time we had this many talented young players come in at the same time was in 2003-2004 when we had Perezhogin, Higgins and Plekanec as 20 year olds and Komisarek, Balej and Hossa (Marcel) as 21 year olds. Things worked out pretty well for them that year. It all depends how well they're surrounded.
Things worked out pretty well ? Only one of those players panned out ... ?

Reactions: ottawa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad