Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Things worked out pretty well ? Only one of those players panned out ... ?

I meant for the team....But I still don't know what you're talking about? Perezhogin was awesome in the playoffs until his stick incident..that changed everything for him. Plekanec was obviously great. Higgins is 15th in points for his draft class (drafted 14th)...if that's saying a player didn't pan out, then I don't what to say. Komisarek was a fine NHLer until the Lucic incident. Was he worthy of his 7th overall pick? Hell no. But it's not his time in the AHL that changed that. I'll give you that Balej and Hossa didn't work out, but that can happen with any prospect. I don't think the AHL did that to them as they had great stats that year in Hamilton.

Reactions: Acadien86

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Komisarek had a couple of good seasons with the Habs, was paired with Markov so it did help his carreer but he was a great fit beside him, was a physical beast and was extremmely solid in his own zone...

Higgins played 10 seasons in the NHL, had 3 seasons over 20 goals with the Habs...

Perezhogin's first season in the AHL started slowly but was producing at nearly ppg pace in the second half, the kid was flying out there and was first in points in playoffs, tied with Semin before the stick swigning incident.. was banned from the AHL for 1 full season and was never the same player again...

Balej had a short NHL carreer but got us Kovalev

The synergy back then with all those skilled kids was awesome and probably helped each other to develop easier, so Im not sure about your point here, cant have too many highly touted players on the same team, thats quite the opposite, lets say Suzuki is the only foward making the jump next year, will have a ton a pressure to perform right off the bat, both from the medias and fans, you can trust me on that one...

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hawkey had a big weekend, just 1 ga vs the higher ranked Northestern. He got his 5th SO on the season, tied for 2nd best in the league. He had only 8 in his career coming into the season.

I was surprised we traded Hawkey for a 5th in the last draft. He was trending very well. Hard to say how good he will end up and lets see how he looks when he turns pro.

Lets see if we can yield a better result with the 2019 5th vs Hawkey?

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Montreal, are you a Friars fan? I am an alum and an avid follower, but what's your interest at this point? Hawkeye is not our prospect anymore?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I was surprised we traded Hawkey for a 5th in the last draft. He was trending very well. Hard to say how good he will end up and lets see how he looks when he turns pro.

Probably just draft another Koberstein, or Staum with it. Waste if a pick from the get go.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

goalies are really hard to project but I think he could do well with the oilers who seem to need a goalie for the future although I don't know their system.

Montreal, are you a Friars fan? I am an alum and an avid follower, but what's your interest at this point? Hawkeye is not our prospect anymore?

no, the games were against Primeau/Harris so I watched both games. But I've been a big supporter of Timmins so I keep an eye on his picks as I've said for years that things would look a little better if we had a different approach to development and had hired a head coach for our AHL team that had actual head coaching experience. Not saying that someone without head coaching experience can't do the job, just I prefer taking caution, less risk for such a major part of the future success of the organization. I know some don't put much stock into development but I'm a huge believer in the impact of development and good coaching.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Jul 6, 2016
He's living in a retirement home? Great for him to do that,but shame on us if he's living like that.

The guy had lots of after career problems: divorce, bad investments, etc... And don't forget he spent most of his career at minor league levels. Not much paid. I think he lives across a retirement home. Not in that home.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
What's with Subban this year? Stats seem to be just "Ok" for him. I know he's been injured, but has that really played a role?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Fascinating read. Louis Leblanc tells his version. Why it didn't work for him in the NHL. He blames a combination of bad luck (injuries, lock out, turmoil in the Habs organisation), pressure from the Habs to leave Harvard too early, and lack of confidence from the coaching staff in the AHL (Lefebvre). Despite this, he's not bitter and considered he reached his dream to play for the Montreal Canadiens. And he hopes to be a GM in the NHL one day.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
inst he destroying the KHL ?

Age 25 and just touching his prime years now. This is typical Bargain Bin type players Bergevin loves to take a shot at. However, we gave up on him 4 seasons ago.

He has one very good year. Was he playing on a stacked team or has he finally figured out things as he heads into his prime years? :dunno:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Would it be possible for him to come back in Montreal ? kinda curious about his abilities. He hit the 50p in the KHL, it's pretty amazing
I think he has no contract anymore, but Im sure he could play now. He was a good prospect that I thought would develop into a top 4... looks like all he needed was icetime... who knew.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I think he has no contract anymore, but Im sure he could play now. He was a good prospect that I thought would develop into a top 4... looks like all he needed was icetime... who knew.

I thought that too when he was in the Dub, but his AHL days were pretty disappointing, kind of a Lernout curve.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A look back at Timmins non Hab draft picks,

Deitz certainly had a hell of a season leading his team in scoring by 8 pts.

The Kostitsyn bros playing together again, Andrei was 1 pt off the team lead.

Emelin played his first season in the KHL with DD and Perezhogin who missed most of the season, perhaps he is getting close to retiring. Scherbak is said to be joining their team.

Nattinen also had his first season in the KHL, 3rd on his team in scoring.

Avtsin with just 1 goal in 20 games in the KHL after a bit of a breakout year last season.

Chipchura still playing in the KHL, among the team leaders in points. Ben Maxwell also still in the KHL.

D'Agostini and Lappy still hanging around in the Swiss league. Kristo's also there, 2nd on his team in scoring. Nygren had a drop in production in his 2nd year there, same for Bozon who hasn't produced as well in his 2 years.

Collberg started off strong but missed time to injuries playing in the SHL with Olofsson.

Reway played only 10 games in Sweden's 2nd league.

Hawkey had his best season as a starter, I assume the oilers will be signing him soon, if not he's a UFA on August 15th.

Ryan White spent the year in the AHL but looks to have missed a lot of time. Tinordi also spent the full year in the AHL. Same for Didier.

Vail was just about a ppg in the ECHL, surprised he didn't get a look in the AHL. Thrower spent all year in the ECHL.

Matt Bradley seems to of had a solid rookie year in the ECHL.

David Fischer left the DEL a few years ago for Austria and seems to be doing well there.

Morgan Ellis had his first season in the DEL, tied for 3rd on the team in scoring.

former 7th round pick in 2011, Colin Sullivan played in France

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad