Former Ducks Thread II: AKA Wild Bill is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I might be alone in this, but I think Bieksa can keep up just fine.

My issue with him is that he still tries to play like he's the same player he was when he was younger. I actually think he could be a pretty solid 3rd pairing defenseman, if he was willing to simplify his game, play more conservatively, and just stop playing like an ******* in a pick up game. That's my real beef with him. It was the same issue I had with Sbisa before he was shipped out. Bieksa plays like he thinks he's the best player on the ice, and he can get away with it. He never really plays with urgency, and even when he ****s up he kind of casually glides back to where he needs to go.

Bieksa was twice the player someone like DiPenta was, but I'd rather have DiPenta on the ice because at least he understood his limitations and tried to play to the role that he neede to. If Bieksa did that, I think we would have had a pretty solid 3rd pairing guy. An overpaid one, sure, but that's on Murray.

It's all kind of irrelevant, because Bieksa wasn't willing to play within his limitations. That's on him.
Very well put

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sbisa earned a 1 year deal with the Isles after attending camp on a PTO.

Apparently we may see Etem sign with the Kings, has been having a very strong showing in camp.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
f*** that is a lot for someone with no leverage who hasn’t proven a huge amount. That’s basically Hampus money. Vegas got jobbed.

Reactions: McDonald19

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t think it’s as outrageous for Vegas as you all think. He’s a 40 point guy and expected to improve. If you are using Hampus as the bar, then yeah, overpayment. But Hampus is underpaid

I think it’s a gamble but fair for both parties.

Reactions: Beretta 390

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t think it’s as outrageous for Vegas as you all think. He’s a 40 point guy and expected to improve. If you are using Hampus as the bar, then yeah, overpayment. But Hampus is underpaid

I think it’s a gamble but fair for both parties.

He might be a 40 point guy but he’s not there yet. And he is pretty bad in his own end, on the defensive side of the puck he skates and checks like he doesn’t give a f***.

Hampus, Slavin, Jones, Rielly etc all got similar amounts (admittedly for less years but still) and are all twice the dman Theodore is.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wow that`s a lot for a specifically offensive defenseman that has yet to crach 30 point barrier and started last season in the AHL.

But he was getting better as the year went on, was 0.5 ppg in playoffs and only just turned 23. It`s a bit of a crazy contract but I think Shea will also progress and this all wont be as bad after all.

Reactions: Beretta 390

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He might be a 40 point guy but he’s not there yet. And he is pretty bad in his own end, on the defensive side of the puck he skates and checks like he doesn’t give a ****.

Hampus, Slavin, Jones, Rielly etc all got similar amounts (admittedly for less years but still) and are all twice the dman Theodore is.
It’s all projections. He’s not on the level of those guys now, maybe he never will be, but Vegas is betting on his potential. It’s a gamble that might end up bad for sure.

I personally think even if he doesn’t improve on last year he is pretty damn close to being worth that. Like, he was probably worth 4-4.5 on the open market with last years performance.Remember, They’re buying out a lot of UFA years with that contract, which is valuable. In 4 years he could be worth 7-8 on the open market but Vegas won’t have to worry about paying that or him walking

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It’s all projections. He’s not on the level of those guys now, maybe he never will be, but Vegas is betting on his potential. It’s a gamble that might end up bad for sure.

I personally think even if he doesn’t improve on last year he is pretty damn close to being worth that. Like, he was probably worth 4-4.5 on the open market with last years performance.Remember, They’re buying out a lot of UFA years with that contract, which is valuable. In 4 years he could be worth 7-8 on the open market but Vegas won’t have to worry about paying that or him walking
But he wasn't on the open market. Vegas has crap for D and money to burn, so I think this is a bit of a panic signing by them. Could work out as you describe in the absolute best case scenario for them, which is usually the worst bargaining position to take.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
But he wasn't on the open market. Vegas has crap for D and money to burn, so I think this is a bit of a panic signing by them. Could work out as you describe in the absolute best case scenario for them, which is usually the worst bargaining position to take.
Well I agree but they are buying out a few UFA years in which he would have been on the open market. So the last 3 years could be a steal potentially

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
They should have given him a bridge, but for some reason the Knights are in love with him even though he is soft and doesn't understand defensive zone coverage.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Well I agree but they are buying out a few UFA years in which he would have been on the open market. So the last 3 years could be a steal potentially
Or, given his very limited track record, it's equally likely that they'll be paying 5.2 per year to Andy Delmore. I'm just saying, this contract sounds very much like it was close to whatever Theodore's opening offer was. He had no leverage and not all that much substance, and yet. What you're arguing is not untrue, it just shouldn't have gotten him 5.2 per year at this point.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Bieksa was quoted in 31 thoughts today saying he had an offer from an nhl team but it was too far away to play due to family reasons. Also said he was still in better shape than 95% of the league and 100% of the media.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Bieksa was quoted in 31 thoughts today saying he had an offer from an nhl team but it was too far away to play due to family reasons. Also said he was still in better shape than 95% of the league and 100% of the media.
I wonder what team offered him a contract.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Say what you want about him but he`s still funny :laugh:
I didn`t like how he was ''offended'' by us not resigning him or whatever was the case there, tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad