Former Ducks Thread II: AKA Wild Bill is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
That's got to be a sudden heart attack or maybe passed out from alcohol/medication? How do you go swimming, just sink and not come up?

RIP Emery, very tragic.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
emery was a key part of that playoff push in 2011. not to mention he was a tough mofo

RIP

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
A couple of writeups from The Atheltic about 2 of our UFAs:
Derek Grant:
Derek Grant is the best NHL scorer on this list [of remaining UFA centers], and his performance is backed up by strong AHL numbers the last two years. He’s still in the heart of his career and he’s listed at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, kills penalties, and has won 54 per cent of his 5-on-5 faceoffs the last three seasons.
Aaaaaand then there is Bieksa:
The only other established NHL option is Kevin Bieksa, who somehow logged almost 1,000 5-on-5 minutes again last year. It’s maddening. After a very solid career in Vancouver – seriously, 2006-13 Bieksa was a fantastic player — he has spent the last five years getting out-shot and out-scored by increasingly lopsided margins every season. Surely this is the end. Cam Fowler was a 50 per cent Fenwick/57 per cent goal share player this year when he wasn’t forced to lug around a 37-year-old partner, while Bieksa was a 40 per cent Fenwick/33 per cent goal share player away from Fowler.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Curious if anyone has heard anything about Bieksa? Unless I missed it, I don’t think he has signed anywhere or even been offered a tryout?

I seem to recall him being all pissed that the Ducks said they were moving on from him. Maybe the rest of the league is moving on from him too?

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Curious if anyone has heard anything about Bieksa? Unless I missed it, I don’t think he has signed anywhere or even been offered a tryout?

I seem to recall him being all pissed that the Ducks said they were moving on from him. Maybe the rest of the league is moving on from him too?

As they should.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Bieksa won’t get a contract. The league knows how bad he is. He’s such a great locker room presence that he managed to piss off the Ducks by whining and complaining. He will sign a PTO and then end up either retiring or playing overseas. Good riddance

Reactions: Paul4587

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Bieksa won’t get a contract. The league knows how bad he is. He’s such a great locker room presence that he managed to piss off the Ducks by whining and complaining. He will sign a PTO and then end up either retiring or playing overseas. Good riddance

Didn't seem to mind everyone whining about him knocking players into Gibson/Miller, or passing it right to someone in the slot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
The only good thing about KB this past year was his superman punches.
They were great, though.
bieksa-superman.gif

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
1 year deal for Kerdiles with the Jets - 650/100k with 150k guaranteed. One of the last teams I'd want to be traded to as a player in his situation (so much forward depth) but I wish him all the best.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
1 year deal for Kerdiles with the Jets - 650/100k with 150k guaranteed. One of the last teams I'd want to be traded to as a player in his situation (so much forward depth) but I wish him all the best.

The tools are there. His luck here has been awful, though. I can see how those setbacks can wear a person down, and I think that a change of scenery could be an immense help in that regard. I hope he can finally make it there.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Well, that's cool of him to get that kind of guaranteed money for the year, but I'm pretty skeptical he's going to do much there

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah bieksa's NHL career is over. maybe he'll get a contract to play overseas but he just can't keep up anymore

his comments about being a healthy scratch in the playoffs were laughable. good riddance

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I might be alone in this, but I think Bieksa can keep up just fine.

My issue with him is that he still tries to play like he's the same player he was when he was younger. I actually think he could be a pretty solid 3rd pairing defenseman, if he was willing to simplify his game, play more conservatively, and just stop playing like an asshole in a pick up game. That's my real beef with him. It was the same issue I had with Sbisa before he was shipped out. Bieksa plays like he thinks he's the best player on the ice, and he can get away with it. He never really plays with urgency, and even when he f***s up he kind of casually glides back to where he needs to go.

Bieksa was twice the player someone like DiPenta was, but I'd rather have DiPenta on the ice because at least he understood his limitations and tried to play to the role that he neede to. If Bieksa did that, I think we would have had a pretty solid 3rd pairing guy. An overpaid one, sure, but that's on Murray.

It's all kind of irrelevant, because Bieksa wasn't willing to play within his limitations. That's on him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

My issue with him is that he still tries to play like he's the same player he was when he was younger. I actually think he could be a pretty solid 3rd pairing defenseman, if he was willing to simplify his game, play more conservatively, and just stop playing like an ******* in a pick up game. That's my real beef with him. It was the same issue I had with Sbisa before he was shipped out. Bieksa plays like he thinks he's the best player on the ice, and he can get away with it. He never really plays with urgency, and even when he ****s up he kind of casually glides back to where he needs to go.

Bieksa was twice the player someone like DiPenta was, but I'd rather have DiPenta on the ice because at least he understood his limitations and tried to play to the role that he neede to. If Bieksa did that, I think we would have had a pretty solid 3rd pairing guy. An overpaid one, sure, but that's on Murray.

It's all kind of irrelevant, because Bieksa wasn't willing to play within his limitations. That's on him.

Agreed on all points, it's tough to believe management sought out this guy to replace Beauchemin's steadying veteran presence.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

My issue with him is that he still tries to play like he's the same player he was when he was younger. I actually think he could be a pretty solid 3rd pairing defenseman, if he was willing to simplify his game, play more conservatively, and just stop playing like an ******* in a pick up game. That's my real beef with him. It was the same issue I had with Sbisa before he was shipped out. Bieksa plays like he thinks he's the best player on the ice, and he can get away with it. He never really plays with urgency, and even when he ****s up he kind of casually glides back to where he needs to go.

It’s his brain that can’t keep up, not his legs or body. For this reason he will be playing in a different country overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad