Former Ducks 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It’s almost as if it’s easier to produce on a team with adequate offensive talent around you when you’re a complimentary piece

What a novel concept
No doubt. But he also has more competition for ice time. He is playing one and a half minutes more this year than last year with the Ducks.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It’s almost as if it’s easier to produce on a team with adequate offensive talent around you when you’re a complimentary piece

What a novel concept
But he's getting more ice time, on the first PP, on a much better roster than the Ducks have. Did Ritchie all of a sudden become a better hockey player? No, he is now in an organization that identified what he does well and is utilizing him in the correct way.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
But he's getting more ice time, on the first PP, on a much better roster than the Ducks have. Did Ritchie all of a sudden become a better hockey player? No, he is now in an organization that identified what he does well and is utilizing him in the correct way.
Now apply that same logic with Terry and you will be getting somewhere

The bottom line is the players around you and the situation you’re in matters a great deal. More than a lot of people would like to think. Why is it that Tyler Toffoli went back to being a great scorer immediately after leaving offensively starved LA? Gee I have no clue

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Ritchie is getting about 30 seconds more playing time at even strength with Boston than he averaged with us over the past 5 years, which amounts to about 1 extra shift. He is getting a full minute more of time on that powerplay, though. He found a spot where he can be useful, and they are maximizing it.

Reactions: Kalv

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Now apply that same logic with Terry and you will be getting somewhere

The bottom line is the players around you and the situation you’re in matters a great deal. More than a lot of people would like to think. Why is it that Tyler Toffoli went back to being a great scorer immediately after leaving offensively starved LA? Gee I have no clue
Don't really see the Ritchie/Terry correlation, but I totally agree with your main point. The culture and player development climate needs to change with the Ducks.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Don't really see the Ritchie/Terry correlation, but I totally agree with your main point. The culture and player development climate needs to change with the Ducks.
it's not just culture

look at the talent ritchie is playing with in boston, especially on the PP. put him on another crappy team and his numbers would still be around what they were with the ducks

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
it's not just culture

look at the talent ritchie is playing with in boston, especially on the PP. put him on another crappy team and his numbers would still be around what they were with the ducks
When you have elite players to draw the attention away, role players shine. Thats why we need to get an elite alpha male player bad

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Terry might do well on a team like DC where there are like at least 4 formidable offensive players in front of him who can draw away the tough matchups and/or create time and space for him if they do play together. The Ducks don’t have that type of talent on the team and I seriously wonder that if Terry does eventually become a productive player, whether it’s even with Anaheim.

Troy is the quintessential complimentary player.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
it's not just culture

Not just the improved talent around him, but the upgraded role.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Terry might do well on a team like DC where there are like at least 4 formidable offensive players in front of him who can draw away the tough matchups and/or create time and space for him if they do play together. The Ducks don’t have that type of talent on the team and I seriously wonder that if Terry does eventually become a productive player, whether it’s even with Anaheim.

Troy is the quintessential complimentary player.

He's not a complimentary player...he's a scrub

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm glad that Nick Ritche found his mojo. And sad that we couldn't help him find it here.
playing on the PP with the likes of bergeron, marchand, and pastrnak will help your numbers. don't think he ever played on the PP here and obviously he was never surrounded by that much talent

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
In the meantime, I happened to take a look at Nättinen's numbers in the Swiss league this season. He's actually scoring at an over a PPG pace with 16+8 for 24 points in 22 games played. Those are basically the same kind of numbers he put up in Liiga last year.

If he ever comes back to the NHL, I really hope we give him another shot. He seems to have discovered his scoring touch.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
In the meantime, I happened to take a look at Nättinen's numbers in the Swiss league this season. He's actually scoring at an over a PPG pace with 16+8 for 24 points in 22 games played. Those are basically the same kind of numbers he put up in Liiga last year.

If he ever comes back to the NHL, I really hope we give him another shot. He seems to have discovered his scoring touch.

What's more impressive is that he's playing for Ambri-Piotta, which is one of the lowest scoring teams in the NL this year. They've got 64 goals in 32 games, which puts 25% of the entire team's goal output on Nättinen.

I'd say he'll be back in the NHL for sure, just don't think it'll be with us.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It’ll be interesting to see if Wild Bill ever gets close to 40 again, let alone 30. It’s disappointing for sure to have lost him, but I sometimes don’t see any overly creative player there. Both he and Marchessault ballooned in 17-18 and have had similar downward trajectories since.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It’ll be interesting to see if Wild Bill ever gets close to 40 again, let alone 30. It’s disappointing for sure to have lost him, but I sometimes don’t see any overly creative player there. Both he and Marchessault ballooned in 17-18 and have had similar downward trajectories since.

Definitely not 40 and I don't think he hits 30 again. He doesn't shoot the puck nearly enough, that first year was kind of flukey. Which is fine, though, he's still a nice all-around second line center.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he definitely won't get close to 40 again

seems like everyone on that 17-18 vegas team had a career season

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

His 40 goal season was a fluke. Insane shooting percentage for most of the season.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Vegas pay William Karlsson similar to what we pay Adam Henrique. I'd say both are about 20 goal scores at normal give or take. But William is better in most areas, even when not counting this season for Henrique.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Similar to Comtois now.

Yes Comtois has a pretty high shooting percentage at the moment, but it's not that bad considering that he has played just 15 games. Lundeström has a bit higher number although he has played only 8 games so far. Their numbers will come down.

Karlsson had 23,37% in the end of the 40 goal season and he played 82 games. He scored 43 goals in 184 shots. At the moment Comtois already has a bit lower percentage, 23,1%. In comparison, Ovechkin's career highest shooting percentage over the season was 15,4% last season playing 68 games and second highest was a year before it 15,09% in 81 games. That's 48 goals in 311 shots and 51 goals in 338 shots. His career shooting percentage is just 12,7. Another great goal scorer Stamkos has 16,9% over his career. He had one season when he had 20,16% but he played only 37 games due to injury. Although, Stamkos had 19,23% in 18-19 scoring 45 goals in 82 games with 234 shots.

So Karlsson was quite lucky scoring so much over the whole season even though he didn't shoot the puck nearly as much as some of the top scorers of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad