Former Coyotes employee during Chayka's tenure speaks out

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Or attempt to flee to New Jersey.
How f***ed would we be if he didn't do that? Huge contract extensions for Tocc and Kessel and more young assets for either average players or vets at the ends of their careers. That would have been more painful than Fire Marshall Bill's inferno.

Reactions: Mosby

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
From the Reddit narrative, we can put together an idea of what kind of organization Chayka put together. It looks like a collection of opportunists and shitty people who came in to set up their own little fiefdoms and grab power out of the vacuum left by Chayka's lack of people skills and organizational oversight. If you think about it that way, the Strang "expose" makes a whole lot more sense - these a-holes wanting to salt the earth after Meruelo and Armstrong came in and laid down the law.

I had wondered why Craig Cunningham left with so little fanfare. If even 1/10th of the truth is in that Reddit post, it makes me furious that they would do a guy like that wrong.

As for Steve Sullivan, the fact that his dismissal was announced with a two-sentence blurb speaks major volumes for me, just based off my own PR experience. You don't generally release something that terse without the person in question doing something majorly wrong.

One thing is for certain - the description of Chayka's organization, along with Goldberg, Hofford, and Sullivan, in the Reddit post absolutely paints a much clearer picture of how the draft combine malfeasance could have happened. And, strangely, it makes me more inclined to believe Chayka when he says he had little to do with it, even though as GM he rightfully had to fall on his sword for it.

It also appears that Ahron Cohen was collateral damage in the subsequent purge, which is too bad because I think, of all of the Chayka-era execs, he was the smartest and had the most loyalty to the franchise and the market.
Well said, every paragraph!

Yeah, Cohen was also in the unfortunate position of having a new owner coming in with "his guy". Ahron did a terrific job of building the Coyote name in the community.....and interestingly, was the only guy from the group Doan liked. He'll land another COO job in a professional sports franchise, if he that's the career path he chooses. The Dbacks could use his talents.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
How f***ed would we be if he didn't do that? Huge contract extensions for Tocc and Kessel and more young assets for either average players or vets at the ends of their careers. That would have been more painful than Fire Marshall Bill's inferno.

Yeah - because we'd suck just as hard, except they'd sell it to us as if there was legitimate hope. In other words, the same song and dance we've gotten for years now.

We talk all the time about terrible Coyotes luck, but man did we ever get lucky that Anthony LeBlanc was such an idiot, and that John Chayka thought he was the smartest guy in the room, because otherwise we coulda been saddled with those bozos long-term.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Read the entire thread and the former staffer really wasn't hard on Chayka. Other than he preferred to use his own version of analytics (which we all knew already) and framed him as a bad judge of character based on the guys he hired around him. All of them berated Chayka behind his back.

Most of his venom was aimed at Goldberg and Sullivan. Which is now making me believe Sullivan deliberately selected Mitchell Miller as a big FU to the franchise knowing he was on his way out too.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Which is now making me believe Sullivan deliberately selected Mitchell Miller as a big FU to the franchise knowing he was on his way out too.

Didn't even think about that. Definitely in character for toxic guys to want to say, "Screw the conventional wisdom," with regards to something like that; not sure that they picked him as an FU to the franchise, though, as much as the same thought process of Montreal with Mailloux, e.g., pick the kid and then play defense on PR until the outrage blows over.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Didn't even think about that. Definitely in character for toxic guys to want to say, "Screw the conventional wisdom," with regards to something like that; not sure that they picked him as an FU to the franchise, though, as much as the same thought process of Montreal with Mailloux, e.g., pick the kid and then play defense on PR until the outrage blows over.

Reason why I think it was done deliberately is because I recall it was reported they did not have Miller on their draft list in the months prior to the draft because of the allegations around him. So why did he get on the list out of the blue after Chayka runs?

Reactions: SniperHF

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You guys might be on to something with the Miller stuff. I think we all hoped that Mereulo and Gutierrez would catch on to being in charge of hockey ops faster, but it obviously took them some time and the inmates were running the asylum for awhile.

Meruelo Jr and that kind of nepotism has its faults too, but you can at least avoid not even knowing wtf was going on.

former staffer really wasn't hard on Chayka.

That was always going to be the big question mark going into the Chayka as GM tenure.

When it started Tippet was the hockey face, Drummond was the business, and Chayka the brains behind the scenes. (The whole "collaborative" model I basically yelled about for a year :laugh: ) When he was flying solo under Barroways blessing it was always questionable (from the way Doan got done wrong on down) how he would handle personnel. And as the old yet often apt cliche goes personnel is policy.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Meruelo Jr and that kind of nepotism has its faults too, but you can at least avoid not even knowing wtf was going on.

Somehow I prefer Alex Jr. to Jake Barroway though. :laugh:

That was always going to be the big question mark going into the Chayka as GM tenure.

When it started Tippet was the hockey face, Drummond was the business, and Chayka the brains behind the scenes. (The whole "collaborative" model I basically yelled about for a year :laugh: ) When he was flying solo under Barroways blessing it was always questionable (from the way Doan got done wrong on down) how he would handle personnel. And as the old yet often apt cliche goes personnel is policy.

Drummond found Chayka and got a mancrush. Then sold him to Tippett.

So after Maloney gets shown the door, I can speculate Tippett wanted the Executive VP of Hockey Ops gig because he didn't want a young inexperienced mathematician telling him how to coach.

Cohen was collateral damage.... but he and Chayka were real pals during the pandemic running around doing charity things together. So I would suspect Cohen being the good guy allowed Chayka to run hockey ops as he felt like, even with Chayka's posse stabbing him in the back.

Meruelo of course wants to bring Junior in to learn the business and the whole Cohen/Chayka "buddy system" gets disrupted. Meruelo also wanted want of his own people in the CEO position with he experience to work the arena project. Cohen would have to take a demotion and I don't think he wanted to do that. Chayka's now pissed his protection is gone (Strang's article talked about the ownership change causes a major shift in the environment to one more "corporate") and lies to Meruelo about wanting to look around other team front offices to gather intel on how they do things when he was really looking for a new place to land for himself. Meanwhile....... the "posse" does it's thing.

Okay..... I'm getting a real headache now.......

Reactions: technoviking

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
Read the entire thread and the former staffer really wasn't hard on Chayka. Other than he preferred to use his own version of analytics (which we all knew already) and framed him as a bad judge of character based on the guys he hired around him. All of them berated Chayka behind his back.

Most of his venom was aimed at Goldberg and Sullivan. Which is now making me believe Sullivan deliberately selected Mitchell Miller as a big FU to the franchise knowing he was on his way out too.

Wow, hadn't thought about that in reference to Miller. That would have been one hell of a shit storm. The thing about this whole reddit post is that I'm inclined to believe it because of how many dots it seems to connect. Cunningham randomly leaving the organization one offseason. Sullivan being let go the way he was. Explains Doan's departure and then now his reemergence. It even explains a lot of the stuff in Strang article, BA being very tight-lipped and 'borderline paranoid' as Strang put it. It connects a ton of dots, even kind of explains my view on Chayka. I always looked at the guy as just an arrogant nerd. A smart dude nonetheless who was in over his head and his front office just wreaked of dysfunction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad